Will cutscenes be pre-rendered or rendered real-time?

Please, watch this in full (it’s only ca. 2:20 anyway).

It works for other genres too, not just horror.

4 Likes

Nice one, good example ;).

To be fair I think I’d be happy with either, but I’m not convinced that you could just have it be an option without it feeling a bit odd in one of the modes (without perhaps a good deal more work). One of the things that generally puts me off FPV cutscenes however is that it’s not always obvious when they start/stop, and for me it breaks the immersion just as badly - in fact often more jarringly - when something happens in a FPV cutscene that I wouldn’t do (it just feels more like I should still be in control over the character than it does when you’ve seen a switch to 3rd person).

I guess what I’m trying to say is that while TPV cutscenes always/almost always lower immersion a little, it’s something I’m used to and it doesn’t feel too unnatural, but when a FPV cutscene inadvertently breaks my immersion it does it much more jarringly.

As soon as I watched that, I downloaded the demo on Steam–never heard of that game before.
That video is actually a really good example. However, as good as it was, it still feels artificial; it feels like a camera is moving, rather than the characters head. Cinematic cutscenes, with different thecniques, angles, lighting, etc., can do a much better job (i’d argue) with delivering the cutscene. And it also allows the protagonist to display his emotions, something that is usually overlooked.

Yeah, that’s the sad thing about it. People don’t know it.
But it deserves much better. Too late now to increase its popularity, of course.

Off Topic:I actually bought Dark Messiah on Steam a couple days ago based on the recommendation of another forum member. I’m enjoying it so far, although the combat can be a bit frustrating.

On Topic: I tend to agree that 3rd person cinematic cutscenes are more immersive, but as that video shows when first person cinematics are done right, they can be just as good.

I concur. To me it really breaks the immersion having the camera float around in cutscenes and then go back to 1st person. Warhorse, if there’s any way to keep it 1st person, please include it as an option!