Will the backers of the physical copy get a downloadable version aswell?

Actually you probably dont because they stated that you need pledge via kickstarter.

I pledged the baron physical
 If i had know that, i would have surely bought the digital copy
 Besides the digital copy costs even less

1 Like

Most likely the boxed version will be linked to Steam (if you play on PC) so you will be able to download the game as well.

The possibility of breaking my disc and losing the game is annoying to me. Linking the physical version to Steam is still better than losing the game.
I would be very pleased, if WH confirmed that practice within the next month. Personally, I was considering to upgrade from knight physical to baron digital tier in case of not being able to use download as backup. If WH canceled that Steam link just before release and I was forced to upgrade to digital, I would have missed my possibility to join Alpha testing. That’s why I would like to know this as soon as possible.

1 Like

there is some kind of confirmation for that? Because in that case the problem would be solved at least for me
 but the previous answer from toby in this post seems to imply we will not get any form of backup with the physical copy. Like Cedeus i was planning to upgrade my knight physical
 to earl probably (physical only)
 but i’m waiting some kind of confirmation on this front

There is no confirmation yet. I think Warhorse is still investigating their possiblities of releasing the game (platforms, possible partners, distributions strategies and so on). My comment was only based on my personal experience and the “norm” nowadays in PC gaming.

And I guess what Tobi wanted to say was that we won’t get another digital key besides our physical game. That would in fact be a non-issue if the physical version was linked to Steam. I personally hope for that solution as well because it would grant every customer/backer of a physical version also a digital backup solution. I mean, many PC gamers nowadays don’t even have a DVD drive anymore. PC gaming is almost full digital today. Many backers who pledged for a physical version did so because they want the goodies but not necessarily because they want the game on a disc.

If you go in a video game shop today the PC shelf often looks like that. I guess Warhorse knows that and will act accordingly (and in the favor of their backers):

So I had a small meeting and this is the result:

DIGITAL

If you have pledged any digital version you’ll be able to play the game the same date it is released (with a code via steam or a similar service).

PHYSICAL

If you are an owner of the physical version you’ll have to wait until the physical pack arrives at your house. Then you can install it and play. It will be PROBABLY linked to steam (right now it’s planned) which means that you PROBABLY won’t need any disc in your drive.
But in both ways you’ll have just 1 License!

Backers from KICKSTARTER (They have some small advantages for supporting us “from day 1”)

Some Kickstarter tiers give you other options:
Download the game and get a physical version with just one license on steam or a similar service, so basically you’ll get the chance to preinstall and play the game.
Or 2 Steam licenses which means that you’ll be able to play it day 1 with a download on steam AND you’ll get a box with another license, so practically two pieces of the game (can use it as a gift for example).

But we will probably slightly adjust our tiers in future because of possible deals with Microsoft and Sony

I hope everything is clearer now.

5 Likes

Thanks, now things are clearer. A confirmation would be better but i understand it’s still early for that.

Hi Tobi,

I see it is nearly one year since discussion about this topic, want to ask if PROBABLY status regarding Physical copy changed to DEFINITELY.

Therefore - linked with steam means be able to complete achievements, have automatic updates via steam client, access to workshop for future mods and download game anytime from steam after I link it with it?

Thanks for response and have a nice day.