Will there be harsh executions for freedom of speech, beliefs, etc

Are there harsh, executions or punishments for the freedom of speech, beliefs, personnel philosophies, or opinions, etc.

?             

well said.

Just deducing from the “story and setting” tag I would guess he asks if the action/dialogue options contained in the game allow for behaviour that might get our henry be punished for stuff that we wouldn’t normally call a crime.

on the other hand I’m still waiting on @(someone that shouldn’t be named) to post that he already feels being crucified and burned at one stake or another here on the forum. :wink:

2 Likes

:smiley:

I overlooked the Story&Setting tag. My fault.

Those ideas the OP seems to suggest are nice - but very hard to implement. We have already discussed the worth of preparing “game over” scenes or similar solutions of the player’s suboptimal deeds. The general consensus was it’s not worth the fuss because moments of utter failure are frustrating and players tend to load the game anyway.

On the other hand there should be - and I firmly believe will be, considering Hellboy’s fondness of irony - situations in which Henry would be able to fail a quest etc. by saying silly things. There definitely should be many such moments. Nothing is more common and at he same time empty headed than computer games where your character can say anything and still continue the conversation or even return to the previous point and choose another dialogue option. I suppose considering what was said about the dialogues during the live stream KC:D won’t be one of those games.

Perhaps some NPCs may end regarding Henry as a fool / nut / loon. That’s OK because during medieval and renaissance lunacy was not considered dangerous or evil.

That would be really awesome!
Just imagine the following conversation:

- Henry: “You are stupid and i hate you! Now what was that quest you were talking about?”

• NPC: “F*** off”
  • Henry: “What do you mean?”
  • Henry: “Hey don’t go away! You said you had a quest for me!”
  • Henry: “What the hell is wrong with you!?”
1 Like

Well I guess that depends on what you said and or did. A fine is more likely though.

I do hope they make the setting and NPCs realistic.
So If you decide to tell your lord that he is an idiot directly to his face… he reacts in a realistic way. For the timeperiod and laws and norms back then.

Similar if you decide to walking into church and denounce Christ…

1 Like

Well if you spoke out against the king or the church back then your chances for survival were not very high.

In fact it depended on your social status (and luck and the level of power centralisation). We have long history of powerful lords who openly stand agains the king. If there was no Falkenstein the history of central Europe would probably take a rather different course. I would argue to openly spoke out against the king of contemporary Morocco or even England could be more serious for you than do it in medieval Rataje. :smile:

Similarly to denounce Christ in 1200 Toulouse could be quite safe. But try to do it after 1215. And in the end it was just sheer luck at Muret (and the focus on honor of the Peter II. of Aragon) what caused that shift.

1 Like

offcause, history is full of people who did just that…
I do believe our setting have the new young Kings’s uncle trying to take the crown…
And A bit later some guy named Martin Luther did criticize the church :slight_smile:

Not uncle but younger half-brother. (They had the same father but different mothers.) And the king wasn’t that young either. :wink: Born 1361 and coronated 1363 as the King of Bohemia he was the king for about 40 years already. :smiley:

Common people also criticized the church in their way. It’s really fun to read some 16th century (or earlier) plays. They make fun of drunken and less than chaste monks, people with a handicap, sexual escapades and some pagan magic thrown in here and there. Some of it could act as a script for an American Pie movie really.

Well, 16th century plays are just your common fantasy. Full of dialogues with skulls in your hand (Planescape: Torment), talking with ghosts and descending the stairs while doing striptease.

(For those who don’t know The Magic Christian:)

It is true though that Gordano Bruno, and another man (who had translated the bible), were both killed

Not to mention several hundreds,and even propabley thousands of others throughout European history, and especially during the Spanish Inquisition.

That’s early modern world, especially Bruno whose martyrdom was directly connected to the Council of Trent and Counter-Reformation. Which of course does not mean that it was the Church who was guilty, not Giordano Bruno.

In some of there walk-throughs they mentioned that every choice you make will directly motivate the response of the game. Everything you do you cannot go back and fix. During the single player walk-through for example you will encounter multiple NPC’s who will conflict with your mission or hinder you from achieving your goal. Depending on you dialogue choice, the NPC will react either in your favor, or against it. That being said, during this time period (especially because you will be the son of a blacksmith) what you say will greatly effect what will happen to you. If you demand something from a nobleman, most likely you will die. So in short answer. Yes, i believe they will be incorporating the harsh, executions or punishments, but i do not think the game will be so in depth that you can choose a belief (other than king or king’s brother, maybe they will incorporate religion and catholic heresies that will effect how NPC’s will act towards you.) and personnel philosophies. although personnel philosophy can be translated as what kind of player you will be during the single player. If so, than yes.

What if you had a Socratic philosophy for example?