Will you implement Cryengine's Voxel based GI?

(sorry for my english)
The recent update of Cryengine 3.8.1 features Voxel based global illumination and from the few screenshots I’ve seen it looks friggin awesome. But now it’s only experimental.
Is your game going to have that, maybe in the next update?

Here is off/on comparsion. http://docs.cryengine.com/download/attachments/19377157/SDK_GI2_ON_OFF.jpg?version=2&modificationDate=1427972830000&api=v2 Your game looks awesome of course, but with that it would probably look revolutionary.

2 Likes

I went through the latest EaaS 3.8.1 documentation and I agree it is a nice feature. Speaking frankly, the Game by now is eating a lot of resources. Not sure if they will implement features that suck more power. However, an optional usage with e_VolumetricFog=1 would be great for all of us who can run the game on max.

1 Like

We already seen some comparison screenshots of our game and it looks awesome, co we would like to use it. Currently its still not final and it has quuite large impact on fps, so we will see.

7 Likes

Can voxels be already animated, or would you use it for static objects only?

I believe there are two levels of it, first one is for static objects only.

@Hellboy had send some good news via twitter :smiley:
What a great team! Beautiful!

5 Likes

Yeah! @DrFusselpulli you Sir just made my day. Thats great news!

2 Likes

When you realize its just a tease, grrr.

When you realize its just a tease, grrr.

1 Like

Great!
I would suggest a lot of tweaking though, the light bounces from the sun are way too strong, and the deep shadows are maybe a bit too dark.
Also I guess you will be deleting all ambient lights you have created, what a pain :smiley:

Congratulations but i think the game looks still nice.
Maybe some of us can’t play after release?! oO :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Nice feature :wink:

http://imgur.com/GfZgrjj

1 Like

There is a new article about the illumination,…Sparse Voxel Octree Total Illumination (SVOTI)

The article is written in german:

But there is a also a new video about it:

Looks really impressive

Zum Einsatz kommen soll die Technik künftig unter anderem in Kingdom Come: Deliverance, mit dessen Entwicklern wir mal darüber gesprochen hatten.
Die hoben neben der Optik vor allem die Performance hervor: Das alte
Global-Illumination-System ließ die Fps etwa um ein Drittel einsacken,
SVOTI um keine 10 Prozent mehr.

2 Likes

Interesting feature and it’s really looking good so far. Can’t wait to see the final version of this in KC:D and SC :smiley:
Woodland Demo with 3.8.1 all new feature (Volumetric Fog , SVOGI , Cached shadows)

Cryengine EAAS 3.8 - all Short Film Environments

I think you can achieve more appealing results with a convincing (realistic) lighting than to crank up all other graphic aspects as higher resolution textures, more polygons etc. Would be cool, if older games could be upgraded with this type of lighting. I guess this would help a lot to make them look attractive again. Resolution and HD textures is not everything :wink:

Exactly my thoughts. Just look at Mirror’s Edge or Half-Life 2.
This new Mirrors Edge Catalyst doesn’t have baked lightning and I think it just doesn’t look as good as the first game.