You ever heard about CLANG?

I just found this project namend “CLANG” about a sword fighting video game based on real physics, real-world techniques and proper martial arts in sword fighting performed in the late medieval times. It was funded on kickstarter in 2012:

It seems that their goal for a realistic sword fighting game is pretty similar to what Warhorse want to achieve for KCD (although with a different perspective). Apparently the developers of CLANG run out of money last autumn which is quite sad. But perhaps Warhorse could contact them to just talk about their views on the topic of realistic medieval fighting in video games or maybe even about some sort of collaboration? I mean it would be a shame to leave all that work already done on that field completely unused, don’t ya think? :wink:

3 Likes

Unfortunately the link is broken.

It says: “We apologize but something’s gone wrong — an old link, a bad link, or some little glitch.”

Ah, yeah, I see. It should work now. :slight_smile:

Oh, and that’s the corresponding website: http://www.subutai.mn/clang.php

It’s a real shame that they ran out of funding even though they had a successful Kickstarter campaign. Where on the website do they indicate they’re shutting down? The project looks pretty good and apparently they shipped an alpha which makes me wish I had known about their Kickstarter so I could pledge and receive it.

I hope someone will resurrect this project and make it happen. I agree with @LordCrash that Warhorse should have a conversation with the Clang team to get good feedback on realistic sword ighting.

IIRC, they were actually working on some sort of motion control for it, which would have been awesome.

They talked about their future in one of their latest kickstarter updates. It seems that the project is on hold right now because of the lack of money and that they only work on it as a “weekend and evenings” project right now. So it’s not dead alltogether but close: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang/posts/604023

Do you know if they’d be allowed to do a second Kickstarter to revitalize the project? I don’t know how Kickstarter works in these situations so it may not be allowed. I would contribute; I’ll check the website to see if they have an option to pledge after their Kickstarter like what Warhorse is doing now.

No, sorry, I don’t know that.

Going through some of the comments on the CLANG project, I can’t see why people would willingly give them any more money than they already have. It seems they set themselves up for trouble by having comments in there about funding a basically working version of the game they could then try to promote to get more funding, while at the same time setting up tiers that promised the full game.

Kickstarter would probably be opening themselves up to further potential for trouble if they allowed these guys to do a second project.

How do you imagine such a “collaboration”? Should Warhorse e.g employ those guys? Buy informations from them?.. ?

Perhaps some friendly communication by phone/Skype. If Warhorse determines they could use the help they might fund some of the Clang people as contractors. Perhaps they have expertise in using motion capture and/or knowledge of how to realistically depict swordplay in a game.

I’m not plugged into the business side of Warhorse so I’m just speculating on what could be, not definite claims on what will happen.

Admittedly the video is cool. I just see it being problematic if you’re swinging a “sword controller” around because chances are you’re probably going to need more open space to do it.

That’s also something best done with a console and TV, not a computer you’re normally going to be seated at, especially if you add in the need to use other controls to move around. That’s probably why as of the time of the video they were only talking about an arena setup vs. a full game with other things to it.

But who knows, maybe there’s some tech or concepts that would be interesting to see in KCD. I just don’t see the immediate need for a collaboration based on what I’ve seen Warhorse doing already. I’d rather leave Warhorse to do what they’re doing without any potential delays adding in other stuff like this would cause.

Ok. yes would it would be very exciting if there would be a collaboration. Eventhough I hope CLANG will come out later or sooner by itself so we could have a competitor to KCD.

I don’t know. For a start, just small-talk. It seems that these guys share a certain vision and they seem to be passionate about it. So why not sharing some insights or ideas or visions? I think it’s worth a few minutes to try to get in contact with them. Who knows how that turns out anyway? Many outcomes were possible… :wink:

1 Like

Maybe you should read this first

1 Like

Well, there you go then.

Been discussed here already

Alright, thanks. :wink:

I personally still hope for some more martial arts in KCD as shown in the concept and videos of CLANG. So far sword fighting in the videos of KCD seem a bit too stylized and with a too big focus on weapons and show fighting instead of concentration on body and overcoming your enemy as soon as possible. As each serious melee fighter should know you fight against a human body and not against a weapon.

That’s the biggest difference between real fights and show fights. In show fights you concentrate on the contact of weapons (sword on sword) while in a real fight you concentrate on the contact of weapons and body or body and body. Weapon contact fighting just makes fights longer in order to show more predefined techniques while real fighting aims to beat an enemy as fast as posible with every technique available (weapon, martial arts, dirty tricks,…). You could compare that to kung fu: while Shaolin kung fu is often performed for show purposes with fights which last minutes real wing tsun kung fu aims for knocking out your opponent as fast as possible, often with the first touch or blow…

Here was Warhorse’s take on Clang from the previous thread:

@uajii linked the same quote four posts above, mate… :wink:

But my last post wasn’t about CLANG but about KCD and the combat implemented there as seen in the lastest videos.