Combos not working?

I just need go practice my timing and I’ll be fine.

I feel like armor needs a buff on enemies. There is no way in hell you’ll probably ever land off most complex Longsword combo on an opponent late game , because they will die 1-3 shots or mostly likely perfect block one of the 5 strikes.

I really hope Warhorse has plans to tweak the combat system further to make it more robust and fluid. I feel like armored opponents need to be harder to kill and perfect blocks should be harder foe player and npcs.

I don’t think it makes sense to 1-3 shot someone in full plate and plate helm with a Longsword.

So in the mean time I’m using a weaker weapon deliberately !

https://youtu.be/dZUW11V1sFo?t=75 here is an example of me pulling of 3 combos

That is why I bought the worst possible longsword in the game and now the fights last longer!

Were you able to do combos prior to training with Bernard after the horse farm investigation ?

Can anyone here confirm yoy can do combos prior to him teaching you combos ?

Also doesn’t he teach you a combo for completing his combo training ?

I’m trying to see if there is a bug here or not – since you can’t do a perfect block or dodge until you do basic training with him at Rattay!!

Isn’t purposely buying bad weapon in order to enjoy the combat kinda defeating the point of rpg progression? I mean enemies can be killed off way too easily which may be realistic but it turns combat into 1-2 second long encounters.

1 Like

Yes and no. I’m just to the point where my stats and strength is so high that I’m killing people in full plate wkeith 2-3 strikes. That’s not realistic nor challenging.

Plus I’d like to be able to pull of that 5 chain stroke combo, but if everything dies in 1-3 hits you’ll never get to see it. Plus it’s a higher level sword perk – it seems counter intuitive to have some a complex technique available at the point in the game where you kill people in just a few strikes.

People can’t even block and stay alive. With Herods Sword and Savage, Brute , Heavy Swing perks I’m breaking through all blocks. My Slash damage is like 100+. I’m literally exceeding every defense stat. I think WH needs to adjust this, I shouldn’t be able to destroy full plate enemies in a few strikes unless I obviously hit a weak spot in armor.

2 Likes

But that’s clearly game design flaw with enemies not scaling with player.

I think so too. The game is demanding in the beginning and slowly gets easier. Bandits shouldn’t scale much other than skill, but fully armored enemies should scale harder.

Finding your stride in combat makes it rewarding. , but as soon as you start combing perks and get a good sword it just gets easy. All you gotta do is swing at this point. Lol

It almost feels like I shouldn’t get any combat perks if i want to enjoy combat which is kinda ironic so to speak.

1 Like

Sadly yes, I wish there was an option to turn them off or unlearn them somehow.

Hello there. I’d also like to know a specific answer about the combos. Bernard has training option named “I’d like to train combos”, and tells me to follow a combination that that goes Top-Right-Bottom Left (if I’m remembering it right), but just as OP stated whenever I try, I don’t seem to be able to do it, and the training sequence IS BROKEN, because every time Bernard starts saying something his voice sample gets cut after half a word so I don’t even know what I’m SUPPOSED to do.

If I strike from the top, cursor for the next slash, Right, goes transparent for a second, but when i move the mouse to the right, and strike when it becomes red, it seems too slow? I’ve seen TarNaugrim’s videos, that some things, like the riposte, require acting before the visual icon, so am i to do the same here? But how? Should I just go mashing the combo despite what the cursor shows? Seriously, I need a step by step explanation here.

Hey, I’m currently trying to make a more advanced combos video. I’ll upload it here once it’s done.

Hey, thanks for responding, I’ve seen all you’ve recorded so far, but my question is about the training part specifically. I understand it should be generally possible to execute combos in free training (although Bernard is a tough fighter, as already stated by others) but how am i supposed to even start? I know there are certain skills, and I even have one or two unlocked, but what about the tutorial? The combo Bernard says about there, and the one I’m talking about is not connected to a skill AFAIK, and it seems I’m doing something wrong, because the broken dialogue always happens after my second attack in sequence, but I can’t make anything out of it, and I haven’t found a video doing that part of the game…

@lorthy_pwn actually it’s not. For Example i am Not Stealing enemys Armor because “it wouldnt fit me” and i got no space to carry around that much. I am only taking weapons an Groschen.
For me that adds a Lot of Immersion to the game. It Males progressing slower But far more rewarding when you can finally buy a new piece of Armor.

UPDATE!!

I managed to find a window long enough to train your combos UNINTERRUPTED AND EXECUTED EVERY COMBO FOR LONGSWORDS!!

Train with Bernard and ask him about “Master Strikes”… You will have a pretty good window of him just being a sword sponge, he will block but not perfect block, riposte or attack.

I used this window and tried all the combos and actually got to see all Longsword combos.

Cheers!

They certainly need to do something about combos. I’m not able to pull them off in combat. Every time I try the opponent ends up blocking and interrupting the combo. It doesn’t help that most opponents withstand very little hits.

1 Like

I figured it out. dude, you have to redo those video cause they are no help at all.

this is how you do it.

1. you keep the cursor over the strike direction until it hits
  2. once the center piece flashes you quickly move the mouse to the direction you want and strike, be gentle cause a sensitive mouse seems to do more harm than good.
    it seems the issue with people moving the mouse to the other direction in anticipation of the strike is the problems. for hours i was striking and mousing over to the next direction trying to catch the timing. to what i have discovered, this is what causes the problem. not sure if that is intended.

When you land the first hit the star will go white in the direction of the next hit of the combo. You have to aim in that direction and swing when the point of the star turns white. Follow that and you will perform the combo. Also you can only combo with a long sword without if you hold it in both hands, so you can’t have a shield or a torch equiped

I’m doing combos like it’s second nature now, lol.

I wad having a hard time doing them because everything was dying because I scaled so hard – I never had proper opportunity to time my strikes.

Maybe this explains why I was never able to do the combos. It requires no offhand weapon then for a long sword? Will try that. Thanks a lot.