Consistant 60 FPS on old system

I actually have better performance when I turn vsync on, 58 fps average, 1% low 31 fps, .1% low 22 fps. Same settings without vsync, FPS high 100, fps average 35, 1% low 18 fps, .1% low 12 fps, freezing and stuttering a lot.

That can be handy in identifying issues - eg when I play with overclocking my video card, and start to hit the big numbers- without adding voltage - the results can worsen (doesn’t actually yield a performance increase beyond a certain point), and with more voltage it is easy to be thermally throttled.

As my use scenario had a mild overclock (about 6%) and a slight voltage bump, I get away from overheating/thermal throttling by setting an upper framerate limit.

Quite simply-my video card gets to rest a lil once I hit my max refresh rate.

If I turn off vsync/‘framerate cap’ and let my framerates go to max- the stupidly low video card fan speeds I run (for a quiet PC) dont cool enough and then I lose about 15% from my upper speeds…

I can nulify that by creating more steps on my vid card that make voltage limiting cut back to speeds still faster than factory OR by running the cooling system faster and then the card no longer throttling.

Your results (unlocked framerate delivering worse performance) can allude to all sorts of things; eg maybe cpu cant keep up or cpu throttling (due to heat) or streamimg systems not working properly (minimum delivery times for ‘smooth’ playback).
Having an extra 12ms to load asset/pass might remove bottlenecking. If that were the case Id be looking at RAM speeds or tweaking things - it might not be a result we want (less speed); but it is telling us useful info.

Sherlock… PCs are ‘fun’.
Open world games and technicianing them into workability has been one of the most fun pc past times in a world filled with win10 madness.

M$ do convince gamers to buy consoles when the PC OS proves so unreliable for ‘fun’.
A linux version of KCD (as was once promised whilst it was within the realm of possibility for the cryengine build they had…) would have alleviated so many developer issues and led the way to next gen computing.
In the meantime windows can force an update that changes the way input devices work and all gamers go ‘damn- wish I had a console’; (if you think this doesnt happen then you dont understand the money motivation that M$ has to deliver to the shareholders- and just how anticonsumer they truly are- we are just walking wallets to them and everytime an idea os pitched at M$ HQ that nets more $$$- you can bet it is tested for ‘viability’)

I do agree that PCs having little in common-build to build- is a nightmare to troubleshoot/support. Having an OS working against us is not a great basis for PC happiness.

Hi guys,

Certainly some great conversations here and its wonderful to see such a supportive and informed community.

As the original poster of this thread, I can confirm that I just purchased another 8 gigs of ram, taking my new system to 16 gigs.

I can confirm with the extra 8 gigs of ram, most of the FPS drops are no longer present. Mostly it drops to 50-55 FPS on ‘high settings’ even in busy Rattay.

However, I am still getting slight stuttering as before which is something I have not experienced on the old pc which is still holding its 50 FPS on ‘medium’ settings, considering its a 2600k and ATI 290x.

Now to get my controller working properly and I will be very happy! :slight_smile:

1 Like

For anyone just ‘tuning in’;
OPs PC had RAM running in single channel mode (only one stick of RAM).

The size increase isnt necessarily what boosted framerate - removinh a bottleneck, however, did return user to expected performance. (Albeit with stutter)

-is stutter only during first forty minutes of play?
What brand drive (model too) is the storage drive housing KCD?
Does stutter happen only when moving to new areas or can you remain fairly stationary and still get ‘hitches’?