Early gunpowder weapons?

My response long barreled is very useful first to shoot maybe hit maybe miss then use it as a quarter staff to bash in the head of my foes. There you go a one on one combat usage.

Snejdarek i feel like you should be the guy in the blue…

You mean a Smurf?

(20 chars limit)

i meant the video

(something something 20 character)

Of course you can hit with a long heavy barrel. But how effective it will be against halberds, swords atc… ? It is also heavy to carry with you. I can imagine an small force making an ambush with hook guns or small melee groups fighting each other, but i don’t think you would be taking this weapon into 1 on 1 duel.

Let me rephrase one of my previous points on the issue.

I’m sorry but wasn’t responding to your post and also i agree with you.

I newer told you need a cart to carry it but it is not something you can carry on your belt.

I imagine this game trying to be historically accurate. And i see medieval blacksmith running with handgone around getting a beer in tavern. Then a brawl brakes up and he takes his handgone lights the match (opponent waits of course till he lights it) aims, the opponent still stays at same place and waits till he shoots… if you would run in some bandit while traveling will you have the time to light the match and aim till enemy will hit you? I don’t think you will be running with burning match and gun in fire position all the time.

There are two topics buried here:

1. If they are generally fitting, matching historical time period, numerical availability
  2. If they are practical for generic player use outside of specific situations/quests

from what I read here 1) seems to hold, although the numerical availability might be an issue or at least a factor where the Developers can implement their design concept in either direction (from barely there to readily available) depending on how they want to play it, without disturbing historical accuracy too much.

with reference to 2), I would be disappointed if these weapons wouldn’t have a lengthy firing process and a general cumbersome usage from a historical standpoint, which in itself says much about the practicability as a standard player weapon - no need to put time into something which is intended to be frustrating. There are easier ways for the Devs to shoot themselves. :wink:

The only way I could see them used is as specific scenario dependent asset which can be used only there, if at all by the player directly and not some NPCs.

Please re-read the part where I specifically point to its use “when you expect a fight”. I didn’t mean a general likelihood of a fight, I meant being ready and knowing that somewhere in the village, behind one of those houses or road bends, where you will be within next three minutes, that there will very probably be a heavily armed and armored opponent. Another option is defending an entry point (castle entrance, a bridge) together with other soldiers with cold weapons in the first line against an attack, possibly with another soldier by your side for reloading. Of course, taking it to the pub for the possibility of a brawl would make sense only if you wanted to use it as a club, or if you were the one coming in and starting it by a single shot (with no plan of reloading).

Do you mean fight or pre-meditated murder?

Because bullets and gunpowder weren’t available over-counter and certainly weren’t left in the weapon on the off-chance of a surprise barney or mugging.

If you are in a situation when you are about to encounter a heavily armored opponent (not general likelihood, but exact knowledge that the enemy is somewhere nearby), why would you not take a píšťala or hákovnice with you, even if it was one shot only? (Or crossbow for that matter) That would not preclude you from wielding the sword thereafter.

Also, being prepared to defend oneself from anticipated attack by having a loaded firearm was not a murder in 1403 as same as it is not a murder today, at least in the Czech Republic (see, for example, decision of the Supreme Court of the Czech Republic (17 February 1981), Decision No. 3 To 2/1981, or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_Czech_Republic#Self_defense_with_firearms)

The Oldest Hand-held Firearms from Slovakia
by Daniel Antoni

“Beautiful” Slovak work which uses Polish and German words although there seems to be quite a strong consensus that the origins of words píšťala and hákovnice are actually Czech. It is even more ridiculous when describing the guns from the Plzeň arsenal. I understand that there is strong Slovak national rivalry towards Czechs, but this is just… “beautiful”.

1 Like

Firing tests with a simulated 15th century gun

Medieval manufacture of saltpetre

I actually did not use that article about that test when I wrote my BA about medieval firearms… since it is based on an idea that the weapons got longer with time… And that is not always the case.
And I don’t agree that his tests do support his conclusion. (Iam not saying it is wrong, just that I don’t agree that his experiment prove anything)

I do prefer people using copies of specific weapons and not based on a general idea about weapons.

but thanks for posting. I originally ruled it out, based on another books commends on it… so actually haven’t read it before now. (but can see that is was the correct choice)

I’m seeing 3 different trains of thought here but only one of them seems to make any sense.

1. Guns were available in limited supply during the time period, were easy enough for a blacksmith to make and were about as effective as longbows and crossbows if not as quick to fire. Historically, they should be in the game in some form or fashion.

2. Guns are impractical for small skirmishes and due to the cost of powder would not have been used by anyone except kings and very rich lords so they shouldn’t be in the game. Also this idea that guns were much less accurate than bows which I think comes from an overestimation of bows and underestimation of guns.

3. Guns ruin my ideal of what medieval times look like and I do not want them in my fantasy game…

Personally, I’m of the opinion that if it was something that was around at the time then it would be a disservice to not have them in the game. The devs have said that at some point there could be large scale battles and sieges so why not make it as accurate as possible? Even if the player doesn’t use it, it could still be used by an NPC or something.

if an npc has it you can bet your arse that imma take it from him even if i have to pry it from his cold dead hands.

Clearly when referring to the guns from Plzeň and Tábor Arsenal, the author chose to pick píšťala instead of hákovnice, which were by 1400 two different guns in the Czech lands.

(Short barrel píšťala on top, long barrel hákovnice lower).
http://forum.kingdomcomerpg.com/uploads/default/4298/feab293a115e29a4.jpg

Light field cannon from Kurzetnik 2013

Gunpowder weapons in medieval game “baah” NO !

2 Likes