Fifteen hours into Hardcore and I'm ready to get my map markers on the compass back

In real life we use a map and a compass.

Guess what we DON’T have in this game.

In real life, people who try to wander around the woods without a map and compass or any other kind of navigational aid, end up LOST and LITERALLY DIE.

1 Like

So are you also against modding because “that’s cheating”? Do you get mad at anyone who doesn’t take all the negative traits?

The hell do you care how someone else plays a single-player game?

Maps and compasses were REALLY pricey in medieval times and pretty much only used on ships.

Are you implying that being dumb is bad? Dumb people are human beings too, no need to be racist. They can be kind, good-hearted and wise in their own way.
And there’s the whole market of AAA games made specifically for dumb people. Dumb people are well respected, taken care of and even privileged in some cases. I like being dumb myself, sometimes

Why probably because this ‘someone’ tends to constantly complain about the game being unfair, demanding to change it. If you want to cheat the game, by using mods or whatever else, just do it, there’s nothing wrong in it

1 Like

I don’t care weirdo.

You must really like making things up in your head, seems you just like to start trouble.

What?
even if you are serious,…what?!

Sure, because the other someone never complains about how easy a game is and demand changes to make it more difficult. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I stopped reading when you said learning the maps was cheating. Dude I’m speechless how you made it on the forum.

1 Like

If you want to play by forum rules, you go back to being flagged to oblivion, till you get some manners on you. get it< got it? good. flame baiting is against forum rules.

2 Likes

Come on guys come on its just a game.

Why not just…go back to normal mode?

Is it not possible to change off Hardcore once you’re on it?

2 Likes

I think they are making the case that they are enjoining the aspect of hardcore mode, that is both challenging and fun, but this particular part, is just irritating, nothing else.

@Sterling-Archer and @Kirksty
Ignore each other.
Every time you start a small discussion you make a mess here.
If you want you can take a break…(got it?)
Thank you

2 Likes

To be fair Sterling tries to bait Kirksty a lot. So maybe it’s time for him to take that break.

1 Like

who are you :smiley:

What??? Most of the conflictivity in this forum is caused by Kirksty, or he’s involved in any sort… Many of us are having troubles/getting tired of the same situation all over… Don’t you see a pattern?

He’s probably the same person with different accounts… :drooling_face:

I was all up for Hardcore mode. Started a new game and was already immersed when I didn’t have my compass and location on the map. Then I get chased by the horse archers running from Skallitz, all of the sudden I had to go.

I just assumed that the game was saved at some point but turns out the new game I started, had disappeared. It never saved.

My point is that you should only really do Hardcore mode if you can guarantee that you don’t need to go suddenly.

1 Like

Not everyone can cope for sure.

There is literally no difference between “learning the maps in previous playthroughs” and just reading a walkthrough based on someone else’s previous knowledge. Both are forms of metagaming, and metagaming is NOT something that should be accounted for as ‘normal player behavior’. Metagaming is frowned upon in every role playing game, because it defeats the entire point of role playing.

This game is completely playable in hardcore mode for a first-time playthrough except the exploration aspect, because it literally turns exploration into random chance. If you don’t use a map like this, you will NEVER find 90% of the exploration points in the game, because you can literally walk five feet away from one and you’ll never know it. Even WITH that map guide, it’s nothing but frustration trying to find a specific point. The actual in-game distance to when a compass marker appears is literally about two meters, at most. Those POIs with baskets full of booze don’t even reveal the POI until you’re actually within looting distance of the basket.

Which raises the question of why they even bothered with a compass in hardcore mode in the first place.

You admitted that you have to rely on metagame knowledge to play the game, and yet you’re here bitching about how I’m just too stupid to play the game properly? Why, because I don’t think I should have to either have played the entire game two or three times and memorized all the locations in ‘normal’ mode to be able to find stuff in ‘hardcore’ mode? Or because I don’t think I should have to be constantly alt-tabbing to a map with all the locations just to find something, because you literally won’t even reveal a bird’s nest location if you’re walking on the wrong side of the path?

By your own admission, you yourself can’t even hack it in hardcore mode without your metagame knowledge from playing normal mode. And you dare accuse me of not being good enough to play the game? The way I see it, I’m doing better at this than you, because I never played normal mode beyond a few hours.

Precisely. Every aspect of hardcore mode enhances the experience except this one. It turns exploration into literal random chance. If you don’t metagame, then you will NEVER find 90% of the locations in the game. This “feature” directly harms the game and adds nothing of value. Like I asked before - if we changed the compass map marker radius from two meters to ten meters, it would help considerably. Is that eight meter difference going to somehow ruin the game? If it was ten meters to begin with, would all these people defending the mechanic be in here complaining about how it’s “too easy” to find locations? Probably not, they’d probably accept it as a design decision with some thought behind it.

A larger map marker ‘bubble’ isn’t going to take away the “being lost in the woods” aspect, it’s just going to let you actually explore the wilderness without having to metagame. Metagaming is bad and shouldn’t be encouraged.

1 Like

But why do you need to find all these locations in the first place? The treasure maps are all perfectly easy to use to navigate - most of these locations have a little path leading to them anyway, and anything else is supposed to be about random chance anyway. Henry is not going around the world thinking, “My sixth sense is telling me that there is a grave somewhere deep in these woods with lots of cool stuff buried in it.” If he finds such grave, cool, but if he doesn’t, he won’t miss it.

2 Likes