//FIXED with latest patch 1.07// 1.4.3 Grass textures/ density has been downgraded. PS4 & Pro

The OP is right, I’ve been really patient so far through all of this, but the grass textures look like Minecraft textures right now. And it’s not cool! Is there ANY official word/acknowledgement from warhorse on this? For those that say it’s not a big deal, it kind of is when 99% of the game world is flora and the goal is realism/immersion.

The graphics don’t have to be the best ever but my $60 game from 2018 should not have textures from 1997. OP when you said N64 I thought you were being hyperbolic until I fired up the game and saw it first hand!

3 Likes

I had enough of the terrible console expierience i am downloading the game on steam right now…

1 Like

noticed that at 1.3 but not so heavy

1 Like

sad you’ve had to give them the money for the game twice… we should have been offered a pc download for free since we already bought on console…

I don’t think the console gods would give back their offering to them or accommodate your prayers.

You want some cheese with that w(h)ine?
Jeezis Cripes. Grass texture as game-breaker. Give me a f-ing break. This game is a masterpiece, and if you can’t work through the minor bugs/hiccups/bumps in the road- you lead a truly sorry existence.

I don’t know what is going on with other peoples consoles. All I know is that after the second patch I had a beautiful fully functioning(for the limited time I had with it) game. Every patch sense then has degraded the graphics and cut aspects to the game play all to accommodate an unknown percentage of people with bugs that most people have never seen and the developers can’t duplicate. I’m getting real tired of paying the price for other peoples problems, especially now that I’m begging to think there problems are mostly in there head.

Here’s a question though, did this downgrade significantly improve the framerate and help the game run smoother for those of you guys that had problems?
For my part i don’t think this game needed another texture downgrade, even my vanilla ps4 dustbag ran the game just fine without any of the downgrades that came with the recent patches aside from textures loading maybe 2 seconds late in rattay, nothing that needed a grass downgrade.

fwiw the blades of grass not being fully detailed and textured don’t bother me much. the clothing layers not reconciling while you’re less than 1-3m from the NPC, that bothers me

Yeah this game has some serious clipping issues too. Wish they would fix those instead of making the game look uglier.

1 Like

Love how the old nitpick is to “grass” on the grass. Lol

Thats a good question. I’m afraid it has something to due with keeping the xbox and ps4 games from looking too different. It would be really irritating if I found out they were gimping my game just so Microsoft can save face.
The clipping is only an issue for me when I’m galloping through town. I’m usually just there to sell stuff so it isn’t a problem for me.

Due to inconsistent streaming speeds (me the broken record highlighting drive fragmentation that large games and large patches can easily have)…

Streaming in smaller sized assets (lower quality textures) will alleviate issues for bordeline cases.

It would be frustrating having a perfectly working system go backwards in quality for nil gain. But- squaky wheel gets the oil… decisions are being done to improve performance for everybody.

Including that kid steve down the road who has an original console (on xbox side of coin that is pre ‘s’ version)
Steve was a trendsetter and sohad all his mates borrow the console at some point.
It has had the 500gb drive filled with over thirtygame installs.
Steve regularly uninstalls and deletes stuff just to squeeze a new title onto the console.
He only had to remove four (smaller) games to fit KCD on.
But then the patches came…
So steve got heavy handed and removed more games.
His KCD install now spans his entire disc surface…
A little bit here, a little bit there…
He has complained multuple times of texture and save game issues. Sometimes made better or worse after a patch.
Now the game has smaller textures- his machine MIGHT be able to keepup with texture streaming and not have to do the minecraft texture quality thing…(eg rain etc)
Poor Denise who lives next door to steve.
She has a brand new system (like what the devs tested on); her game works as intended. She simply sees downgraded assets with new patch and wonders what all the fuss is about.
Denise isnt welcomed in the forums to discuss her experience as it is contrary to steve. Steve is a 28 year old child who rules forums with an iron fist.
Denise, being an adult, tries diplomacy but is ridiculed by all the other children who think that four months of paper deliveries for a algame is a reason to be very rude to others when their game doesnt work as intended.

Apologies to anyone named steve. Like the disclaimer at the end of movies, no intention was had to identify you specifically…
Also I know the issue is more complex than this and that some people with ‘new systems’ are having issues.
As usual -YMMV

5 Likes

This game is very cpu dependant and all consoles have very poor cpu power. In order to get this game running well sacrifices need to be made with the graphics.
It is a cryengine game so comparisons should only be made with other cryengine games. This could include Farcry 5 which runs on a version of the original cryengine.

It should be noted that this is an indie game with a limited budget so we all need to be patient and let the devs do their best.

Denise wants to know what specifically requires KCD to churn so much CPU. Is the number and nature of the assets so different than other relatively more console friendly games?

Yes. Absolutely.
Not many games like this in history of gaming.

Its easy for peope to think one 3d game world is akin to another.

Just the log piles in this game make me smile. … the rooving with authentic shingles.
Having no loading is an order of magnitude more complex than other games…
Eg Witcher (3),… walk into first tavern of game; loading.
I wont deny the art assets in said tavern are beautiful- but it is very different to play a game without, say, Skyrims ‘city zones’ (load).

What is required to keep an engine interpreting which direction the pkayer is traveling in and to predict and preempt loading of future valleys and forrestd- in a way that doesnt break immersion (pauses)…

We might not remember now, but Oblivion had small ‘cells’ all over the map with ‘micro loads’ for what wqs ahead.

I wont say the ai is exemplary (i believe there is a few posts about its combat finesse is 'lacking),… but it is all happening in a world that is alive. I used to hate watching Skyrims time transistions - say every five minutes the shadows would just magically move a large arc… then nothing… then a large arc. It kills immersion watching time transistioning in Skyrim.

Me personally (not Denise) loves vegetation. Hard to get right. The wind in the Witcher isnt realistic. It looks great but it feels like a fantasy world half the time with physics that feel prebaked.
The wind affecting vegetation in KCD is the most impressive I have ever seen. Watching the undergrowth and fields and forrests react to what feels like realworld rules.

This stuff doesnt feel prebaked at all. A lot of computation is going on. And yes- on the fly rotation of textures of differing quality also adds a hit.

The game is designed for multicore and uses that power well.
I have never seen animals flock so well.
When I watch what my six core/twelve thread intel pushes… I am suitably impressed. I have seen this game get the physics and game engine off teo primary cores… this game uses fifty percent more cpu that even the witcher 3 at ultra with hairworks… and quite simply- it makes the witcher 3 look like the older title it is.

Bot saying the wotcher isnt pretty- just qualifying that KCD IS doing some amazing stuff.
Stuff seldom done.

3 Likes

Could the difference in GPU between the ps4 and xbox one have something to do with the jitterring/screen shaking that many xbox players are experiencing?

XBOX-One/-S using AMD Jaguar and XBOX-One-X is using an customized AMD-Jaguar Evolved CPU. PS4/Pro are using an AMD-Jaguar CPU too. But Pro has only clocked CPU from normal.

Yeah all consoles use a custom version of AMD processors that were used in Pcs over 5 years ago. They have the GPU built into the same chip and share system memory. The closest comparison would be an old Laptop with an 8 core AMD phenom processor, a Raedeon 7870 GPU and 8GB of shared memory. This system would barely run the menu screen let alone the game. Consoles perform really well for the specs they have.

1 Like

I thought that it was just the xbox one that was like that. Doesn’t the ps4 have a separate 1.84 TFLOP AMD Radeon. I don’t know much about this stuff but I thought that was different.