"Free DLC" for backers

While I know from many sources already that what kind of dlc will be added to the game is a mystery as of now and won’t be told anywhere soon, I did read in the “Reddit” ama that all dlc will be free for backers.

So how exactly is this going to work, will codes for steam/ps4 and xbox one be send to you once a dlc comes out? Will it be free from a certain tier in the pledge category?

Is this a “compensation” for the acts that won’t be standalone games anymore but were promised with certain tiers? lastly a completely different question but will mods (if they come) only be on PC or also on console like games as Fallout or Skyrim?

Don’t get me wrong, I am not complaining here, in fact I love the game and I am very glad to have been a backer from the start now 4 years ago and can’t wait to finally play KCD but I do had some lingering questions like these.

1 Like

I don’t think the details have been worked out yet, especially with the release taking all priority resources and time.

I am also curious how this is going to be managed, im sure @DrFusselpulli will fill us in when all the wrinkles are ironed out.

The free backers dlc’s will only be the content that was cut from the initial release.
Any actual new content made now or after release will probably be paid for everyone.

Unless they go the CDPR way and only charge for the big expansions, which I doubt.

1 Like

This is also something I forgot about and I am curious to see how this will effect DLC distribution in general if at all.

Considering we have lootboxes now.
I think we can say it hasn’t affected the industry at all.

CDPR needs more great games under their belt to be influencial. Like Rockstar. Otherwise they are just considered a lucky one-day fly by EA and Ubisoft and wont be taken serieously.

No, the “all” was at another position, not “all” DLC, but “all” Backers. The question was about the Kickstarter promises, which were not fulfiled in the final game. Then there was a question about the DLC which will fulfil this promises, if they will be free for the backers, and they will be free, if they will be free for all backers or if they will be free only for the Kickstarter backers and not for the backers of the homepage.

DLCs in context of the Kickstarter promise will be free for all Backers. This doesn´t mean that the other DLC couldn´t be also for free for backers, but we don´t know about that that detail yet. Maybe they will cost something, maybe not.

And @McWonderbeast is correct here. We don´t know yet about details. We will see how we will make it in the future. It is not the case, that Daniel Vávra had a huge masterplan with all details on the Kickstarter campaign with an exact schedule. It is just one step before another.

3 Likes

Not gonna lie, I was confused for a bit in your first paragraph :smirk:

1 Like