Hello and 3rd person

I wouldn’t mind a 3rd person option for usual exploration, but as others have said, the combat would likely not work outside of a first person POV. I know it might be a bit soon to mention this, but seeing Warhorse is fully supporting the modding community, I would be SHOCKED if someone didn’t put together a third person view mod of some sort, after the game is released.

Well you can’t buy the game in the hope for a mod , and if a mod could be done then why not just implemnt it?

"if a mod could be done then why not just implemnt it?"
That could be said for any number of features, big or small, but this isn’t a large production game and development has to be limited somewhere, both in time and resources. I understand your concern and maybe if enough people express a similar opinion, the option will be considered. If this doesn’t happen, then my suggestion would be to hold off on the game until after its released and see if someone does mod it. That is, assuming the feature is never added to the final product.

Sure , but so far seems to me that a lot of people are expressing this hope , and its a “small” feature that would avoid some potential customers to skip that game because of physical health disturbs.
While having a Cape , a gold crafting or sailing could be a nice Extra feature , I see this as the most critical one , as it involves potential customer decision on whether to buy it or not and since its a small company with a pretty non mass enterteinment focus but more elitary RPG style then I wouln’t disdain to consider the implementation of 3rd person if not else to enlarge the % of that other minimum 10 % of people ( if thats the number perhaps more , perhaps less I don’t know ) for a10% more gains .

I’d like to see third person in this game, but I realize the combat system is optimized already for first person. I’m not asking for that to change, but to fully enjoy the graphics and the setting, third person for navigation and such is a nice option to have.

No 3rd person, because of the combat system.
I prefer i 1st person its much more realistc you do fine with it warhorse!

1 Like

The only reason I would advocate a 3rd Person view is that while yes, the third person perspective isn’t realistic, neither is the first person. None of us have monitors that provide the full, natural field of view a human eye provides (and if you DO, then I envy you). Additionally, there’s a great deal of feedback that we receive about what our bodies are doing that the game is unable to simulate.

As a point of comparison: I play a lot of flight simulators. There’s a BIG division in the community about whether or not to use helper icons for locating other aircraft and noting their type and ranges. The problem is, the displays most of us have available are too small and at too low a resolution to adequately simulate what we would ACTUALLY see. Aircraft are visually identifiable at MUCH greater ranges in real life than most of our hardware can render, and furthermore, the game is unable to adequately replicate depth perception. These helper icons therefore provide a helpful concession to the hardware limitations, whereas without them, you’re essentially simulating a pilot who would be LEGALLY BLIND.

This would make the third person view a concession, both to the limited field of view and because it provides a visual cue to things that we have other senses and feedback to inform us of that are lacking in the game.

4 Likes

relatively speaking, 1st person is more realistic and immersive than 3rd person. so just because both aren’t totally realistic, doesn’t make them the same.

and the problems with 1st person vs 3rd person can easily be changed by tweaking field of view. voila, now your fov is as wide as in 3rd person.

other means of letting you see your own movement better are in the video already. there’s total body awareness.

no matter how functional 3rd person is, the fact that you cna see over and around corners, and view yourself as if there’s a camera strapped to your back, makes all the “realistic” features about it moot.

1 Like

Keep in mind that just increasing FOV isn’t necesarily a valid solution.

Without moving the head or eyes and JUST using peripherals, a human has a roughly 180 degree horizontal FOV. Moving the eye increases this even further, and turning one’s head (the last of which is accounted for by mouse movement, though functionally this actually turns the entire body) increases this further still.

As for seeing around corners, there’s ways around that (hiding anything that would be out of LOS or by assuming it represents taking a careful peak around the corner).

2 Likes

Ok now it works and I can post again here .

Its not only the FOV , also changing the FOV doesn’t help most of the times but its a matter of reference points .
Its the opposit of the Sickness from sea .
In the videogame case is caused by the motion Seen but not Felt .
Studies prove that almoust 50% of people trying games in 1st person do suffer after a while depending on the subject from motion sickness .
What instead helps is 3rd person with scalable distance so that people can regulate better and have more fixed references points inthe screen when moving .
Everyone is diferent and has a larger or smaller tolerance to the virtual world interaction , so some might have sickness after few minutes , some after an hour some not at all .

Well, to be honest a different perspective will drastically change how the game will play. And that will influence everything from (change of gameplay, to change of our perception). If they simply implement 3 person, people would play that, because its the best way to beat AI etc… But that would significantly substracted from the experience, especially if your mechanics are build along the first person perspective.

And yeah, it sucks people can suffer from motion sicness etc… But I honestly never saw that complaint in any first person perspective game. If you can play chivalry in first person, your fine. If not, well it would be little bit nauseating.

1 Like

That’s funny, because complaints about motion sickness in FP games goes back to…well, the BEGINNING of FP games (Descent. Dear GOD Descent).

1 Like

Guys its first person, try to get used to it. If they say they want it realistic its end of the line.
I remember the first 3d games, you were dizzy and stuff but u get used to it. Give it a chance and after alpha playing you can still complain.

3 Likes

If a 3rd person view is implemented, I see it only as a vanity view, since it would be too unplayable to be useful otherwise.

Ever tried to do a cavalry charge in Mount&Blade while being in a 3rd person view? Well, you don’t have a good hit ratio.

1 Like

I don’t see how a thrid person would make the game easier in anyway .
PErsonally I think it wouln’t change the difficulty of the enemies .
If you just refer to the possibility that someone might come from a side or the back well then its more realistic a third person as it woudl be actually irrealistic due to the limited FOV of first person to reproduce the bordering sight of real vision that woul dadvice you of incoming side foes , as for the back you woudl be probably hearing someone coming from back , but in third person its well simulated as you wouln’t see untill the last moment I suppose .

It seems that, at least in this state of development, there is a third-person-view available when riding. This is actually the “vanity-mode” I was hoping for, would be great if this would be implemented in the final game, too.
Maybe Warhorse could enhance it a littlebit, so you can also activate it when on foot and navigate in third-person. Not sure about combat and interaction though, as they are more complex.

1 Like

While I concede to the developer’s decision to make the game 1st person, it is their game so its their call, I do really love the idea of a vanity button. One of my favourite things to do in Skyrim was find a vista and have my character pose heroically for a screenshot. Considering all the effort that can be put into the character customisation I would love to be able to see my handiwork.

1 Like

Actually this is rather good compromise, that may be easily done. Vanity button that will go to third person for some time, it may eve get rid of HUD and maybe add screenshot button. You won’t be able to do much in this mode but pose and take screenshots.

2 Likes

No I don’t like that @Masozra because it makes no help for motion sickness if Ican use 3rd person only for take a picture of my char in standing pose , and honestly I do not even know why to take a pic .
I prefer to be able to play without have to vomit so a third person is a mandatory option .

Since I see that they have already a third person mode in the game then the only thing needed is make it optional for who wants to use it and then add perhaps a scroller like in Skyrim to get closer or more far from the character .

1 Like

In regards to motion sickness I think that if they are serious and do proper Oculus Rift support (and prior testing) than they will be able to put this as an option for other platforms it should reduce lot of the motion sickness (which IMHO is mainly caused by improperly done 1st person), The Oculus platform is much more sensitive to this than 1st person on screen.

And I don’t think they have 3rd person mode. What you see in videos is more likely something like debugging free form camera, which is easy to transform to vanity mode, but would make really shitty 3rd person mode.