Hello and 3rd person

Hi I just saw the Kickstarter trailer.
The Game looks very good and surely it shows a lot of passion for the Desire to create your vision .
SO I decided to donate a small little contribution .
I dunno if you will complete the project but if you will the only think I would like ot ask is that you make a third person view, a lot of people suffer from motion sickness and from what I saw in your trailer there are a lot of situations that woudl cause that , from combat , to horse riding etc .

6 Likes

I agree. But the developers have made it very clear that there won’t be third person.

I think the main reason is the combat system which seems designed for 1st person and I can see it being very difficult to implement in 3rd person.

5 Likes

Yeah its a shame since I much prefer exploration by 3rd person but they have been pretty clear. Maybe they could be convinced to allow exploration in 3rd for the motion sick among us.

1 Like

I would like an additional third-person-view aswell, especially as Warhorse gives us the opportunity to wear so many layers/types of awesome clothing/armor. Would be a shame to only see this in the cutscenes

I don`t even need full third-person-support, as I like the way how every action (like climbing a horse) is properly displayed, but maybe Warhorse could add a “scenic” third-person-option where you cannot fight/interact, but simply walk/ride into one direction and move the camera freely

10 Likes

The good balance would be the implementation of the similar system as Deus Ex Human Revolution has. So when you’re in the stealth mod, you can see your character in the third person view. But I’m afraid that the combat system could work properly only in the first person view.

A lot of people play Skyrim in 1st person , and its not breaking their immersion to have the ability to switch in third person.
Personally I only play it in 3rd person for the above mentioned problems .
I once buyed Farcry2 , I loved it but I couln’t play it without stopping avery 2 minutes as I was about to vomit .
There where too many movements of camera , too many shakes, it made unplayable for me at the point that I had to bring back the game and lukily they refunded me even . I so much wanted to play FarCry 3 but I just avoided it because of that problem .
After I went on web and I saw that I was not the only one , there are dozens of people with the same problem that cannot stand those kind of forced perspective . some are more tolerant some less , but the more you add animations to the camera to simulate realism to more the motion sickness increments . That’s due to the lack of the actual physical stimulation of the movement feel that is instead only simulated in the view .

So .
I really hope they get back on their decision .
I don’t think woudl be that much of a sacrifice to allow an optional 3rd person view I guess?

4 Likes

Not sure if it helps for you. I have a bit of motionsickness where there is headbobbing. In arma 2 i couldn’t play for long either (or other shooters) when the head was moving as you walked. When i switched it off i had no problems at all. Would it perhaps help for you if that was a option, to switch off headbobbing?

2 Likes

I would also like to see an optional third-person view - not for combat, but just a ‘vanity mode’ where I can pull the camera out and look at my character. I doubt it would be that difficult to implement, since the PC will surely have an in-engine model anyway. Just make it so combat, minigames etc. automatically put you back into first-person view.

9 Likes

As Jorendo mentioned, I think it would be good option to turn it off if its possible for people suffering from the motion sickness. But I bet lots of game mechanics are bounded with 1st person view and therefore 3rd person view would destroy it.

1 Like

In 3rd person you can see things that your avatar would not see. Therefore you are better in 3rd person and maybe you will use it more.

PS: Feelings are stronger in first person. I think most of games who make fear are in first person.
Things are nearer in first Person and they are not hided by your body.

There should be no 3rd person view
this is NOT guild wars. It breaks immersion game mechanic’s Like stealth and combat, because you can zoom out and get a better view.

1 Like

@Sprayin​SkittleS I guess that’s why I sugested “optional” .
Nobody woudl force you to go to 3rd person , but it woudl help a lot of people with motion sickness to play that game .
@Jorendo Thanks but I have tried everything befoure dropping with those kind of games, even changing the FOV to all possible distances, plug a Big screen and play from distance etc. Its a matter of imersion and too much camera shakes and sudden movements etc just make vomit feeling .
I can imagine this game with all sudden movements on horse and fight and claustrophobic dungeons turning around yourself fast will just make it extremely unpleasant for most people like me .

1 Like

Exactly, no one is suggesting that anyone is forced to play in third person. Those of us that have to deal with nausea, when playing in first person, would just like the option.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t mind a 3rd person option for usual exploration, but as others have said, the combat would likely not work outside of a first person POV. I know it might be a bit soon to mention this, but seeing Warhorse is fully supporting the modding community, I would be SHOCKED if someone didn’t put together a third person view mod of some sort, after the game is released.

Well you can’t buy the game in the hope for a mod , and if a mod could be done then why not just implemnt it?

"if a mod could be done then why not just implemnt it?"
That could be said for any number of features, big or small, but this isn’t a large production game and development has to be limited somewhere, both in time and resources. I understand your concern and maybe if enough people express a similar opinion, the option will be considered. If this doesn’t happen, then my suggestion would be to hold off on the game until after its released and see if someone does mod it. That is, assuming the feature is never added to the final product.

Sure , but so far seems to me that a lot of people are expressing this hope , and its a “small” feature that would avoid some potential customers to skip that game because of physical health disturbs.
While having a Cape , a gold crafting or sailing could be a nice Extra feature , I see this as the most critical one , as it involves potential customer decision on whether to buy it or not and since its a small company with a pretty non mass enterteinment focus but more elitary RPG style then I wouln’t disdain to consider the implementation of 3rd person if not else to enlarge the % of that other minimum 10 % of people ( if thats the number perhaps more , perhaps less I don’t know ) for a10% more gains .

I’d like to see third person in this game, but I realize the combat system is optimized already for first person. I’m not asking for that to change, but to fully enjoy the graphics and the setting, third person for navigation and such is a nice option to have.

No 3rd person, because of the combat system.
I prefer i 1st person its much more realistc you do fine with it warhorse!

1 Like

The only reason I would advocate a 3rd Person view is that while yes, the third person perspective isn’t realistic, neither is the first person. None of us have monitors that provide the full, natural field of view a human eye provides (and if you DO, then I envy you). Additionally, there’s a great deal of feedback that we receive about what our bodies are doing that the game is unable to simulate.

As a point of comparison: I play a lot of flight simulators. There’s a BIG division in the community about whether or not to use helper icons for locating other aircraft and noting their type and ranges. The problem is, the displays most of us have available are too small and at too low a resolution to adequately simulate what we would ACTUALLY see. Aircraft are visually identifiable at MUCH greater ranges in real life than most of our hardware can render, and furthermore, the game is unable to adequately replicate depth perception. These helper icons therefore provide a helpful concession to the hardware limitations, whereas without them, you’re essentially simulating a pilot who would be LEGALLY BLIND.

This would make the third person view a concession, both to the limited field of view and because it provides a visual cue to things that we have other senses and feedback to inform us of that are lacking in the game.

4 Likes