Help !my game is fucked

Hi,

I just loved the game, i’ve been waiting for something like this for centuries.
I dont know if this is the right channel, but i have a problem and need some help.
i have been playing on steam,and decided to test a mod,“Dark Times”, but after the installation, the subtitles are gone from the game,i cant read anything, even the intro about charles etc , cant read anything.
I’ve deleted the mod,tried to delete the game folder and reinstall but the problem persists.deleted and reinstalled steam and nothing.
What can i do?
i remember athat i did this as the mod says:
“Navigate to your KCD Directory (Named: KingdomComeDeliverance)
Open the Localization folder, and rename the LANGUAGE_xml.pak to LANGUAGE_xml.pak.bak, where LANGUAGE is the language you downloaded localization for. Now you have a backup.
Unpack this archive right into your KCD directory.
Unpack the Localization you downloaded into your KCD directory.”

Thanks!

It sounds as tho the mod may have changed something in the saved games folder in your user directory. Make a backup of the kingdomcome directory somewhere else & delete everything but the saves.

1 Like

Could you be more specific? Can you provide a link to this mod? What site did you download it from? Did the mod also come with a .dll file other than the typical .pak files?

Also, what exactly is the mod supposed to do in changing vanilla features in the game? Is it supposed to affect NPC speech content? Or has absolutely nothing to do with that feature at all?

edit: What txdancer911 said. Consider uninstalling this mod (should be a simple removal/deletion of the .pak files added to the game’s data folder). Then restart the game and access a save where you were having the problem. This should restore the vanilla game subtitle feature.

1 Like

Hi, ty for help,
i downloaded it from “https://www.nexusmods.com/kingdomcomedeliverance/mods/128” Nexus Mods,
I deleted everything and reinstalled, even Steam and all my other games, but still having this problem.

I did that
"Navigate to your KCD Directory (Named: KingdomComeDeliverance)
Open the Localization folder, and rename the LANGUAGE_xml.pak to LANGUAGE_xml.pak.bak, where LANGUAGE is the language you downloaded localization for. Now you have a backup.
Unpack this archive right into your KCD directory.
Unpack the Localization you downloaded into your KCD directory.
The mod pack zzzz_Dark_Times.pak should be with all the other paks in your games Data folder.
The Localization pack should be in your Localization folder next to your backed up one."

renamed engish.xml.pak to english.xml.pak.bak, also i tried to validate files via steam, and it still does not work, even though he says its 100%

O.K.

No, your game isn’t fucked. It’s clear you’ve NEVER played a heavily modded Skyrim/Fallout game. It’s also clear this is your very first mod installation. So expect a challenging learning curve where installing, troubleshooting and using mods is concerned. Especially since all existing mods on Nexusmods are PRE mod tool kit and so 100% of these are WIP alpha phase. So know that you’re testing these mods at your own risk. WH can provide zero support because of this. That being said:

1.Installed Dark Horizon with zero issues

Assuming you have a legal copy of the game, this indicates you failed to follow the mod author installation directions based on what you posted earlier. Because you’re clearly missing a language localization file. Download it. And then note that

2.Mod author made a critical omission in his readme.txt file where he talks about backing up the language files. He forgot to add backing up the language.pak file as well by renaming the original language.pak.bak like you did with the original language_xml.pak (which you BACKED UP by changing the filename to language_xml.pak.bak). This way, 100% of your original language files are backed up. So

3.The readme.txt file is incomplete because it didn’t instruct you to back up the language.xml file (100% poor documentation support on modder’s part). Readme.txt lacked uninstall documentation. Modder also gave poor directions on how to manually uninstall. So it appears the modified language.pak file was left in the folder. If this was unchanged from the original file, then the Steam file validation is ok. But it’s also possible Steam could’ve only checked for the existence of the language.xml file. Then went ahead and green lighted it without checking if it was altered from the vanilla file. Regardless

4.You need to post all future game issues (caused by your modification to the vanilla KCD game) over at the Nexus and NOT here in the official WH forum. WH devs didn’t make this mod, sidewayz24 did. So only this KCD gamer/mod author is the expert on any issues adding this 3rd party software will cause. Posting at Nexus guarantees you’ll have the full support of the modder and player modding community which can’t be provided here. Because…

1. It’s clear other players have reported similar issues like yours, since the mod author has already addressed them in several stickies at the top of the post forum. This is a direct cut and paste from the mod author’s “Posts” tab. aka where YOU as gamers are supposed to post your questions if you’re having issues with the mod. I highlighted the parts where the mod author directly addresses your issue:

"Please read the install instructions people, I have placed information on how to install the mod properly on the description (twice), in the sticky posts and I believe a quick explanation on the downloads as well.

Blank text for perks is an error from your part by missing the localization files. If it’s not on my downloads that means a translator has translated the localization and can be found in the Translations bar on the description.

Blank text for all in game text is an issue with installing and running the game with a corrupted pak. None of my mod files have been corrupted since I learned the cause (nor have i uploaded any besides the very first upload 0.1 which was removed within minutes), thus my mod alone should never ever cause this. "

So download/install your relevant language localization file.

5.This part will apply to you if you’re using a mod utility manager like NMM, Wrye Bash and/or LOOT. If you don’t know what these are, then don’t worry about them. So the reference sidewayz24 makes in the readme.txt about “Make sure its the last mod being loaded” is nonsensical. None of these utilities have been updated to handle KCD as yet (as the files are 100% manual download and the KCD mod tool simply isn’t available yet):

If you have used a mod merger or manually edited the files, there was an error either by the merger or by you. Sorry but I can’t offer support for making my mod compatible with others, I add new lines to rpg params, and from what I know mod mergers don’t currently handle this right, nor will I ever offer support for changes outside of the scope of my mods balance, sorry but it’s just a waste of my time which currently is limited, which directly takes away from development of the mod. If you want basic info on how to merge mods, there is a discord that has many users who can help you do that yourself and correctly. But again, I will not offer support to make them work right or balance towards another, that is up to you as you wanted that combo. Also please don’t come to my mod page and complain about imbalances you created by doing such a thing, this is again, not my problem nor will I support it…”

6.Finally in the future: You need to COMPLETELY remove all traces of this mod’s files (i.e delete the zzzz_Dark_Horizon_V0.3.2-BETA.pak file AND the language_xml.pak AND the language.pak files THEN rename your backed up language_xml.pak.bak/language.pak.bak files back to their original names) BEFORE validating any of the files with Steam. It’s always best to restore the game folder back to its original vanilla state first.

If you’ve lasted reading this long: Like I said if this is your first attempt to at using mods, realize your learning curve will be steep.

Welcome to the 50 shades of grey that is the PC modding universe.

1 Like

Hi. This should do the trick: No Enlgish texts?

OP doesn’t need that. The game’s text files are missing. OP forgot to download the Optional laguage.pak file on that mod site. So if English is their desired language, then they need to download the english.pak string file.

Holt, thanks for taking the time to type that up and try to help.

This is why the only mods I use so far are things like ‘No helmet vision’ etc. I see a lot of cool mods but I’m letting the game mature more first.