High Quality Screenshots through console commands (and 4K) - Tutorial

So I have been digging around in the console and have come up a list of commands that will improve the visual quality of the game for taking really nice Screenshots.

The game will take a huge performance hit when these are loaded though so I wouldn’t play with them on (they may even crash some computers).
Here is how to use them.

Video tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcLS2rmPqWE

1 - Browse to you Kingdom Come Deliverance install folder. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kingdom Come Deliverance)
2 - Make a new text file and name it “ss.txt” (you can actually name it whatever you want, I used “ss.txt” because its short and easy).
3 - Copy the test below into this new file.

High Quality Screenshots Settings.

g_showhud 0
r_Sharpening 0.25
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize 2047
e_GI 1
r_ssao 3
r_ssdo 2
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes 8192
e_ShadowsResScale 100
e_ShadowsPoolSize 8192
r_TessellationTriangleSize 1
e_LodRatio 200
e_ViewDistRatio 500
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation 500
e_ViewDistRatioDetail 100
e_MergedMeshesInstanceDist 15
e_MergedMeshesViewDistRatio 200
e_ParticlesMotionBlur 2
r_Antialiasingmode 3
e_TerrainLodRatio 2

4 - Load the game and light up the screenshot you want to take.
5 - Open the console (the ` key) and type “exec ss.txt” (or whatever you name the file earlier).
6 - Hit “F12” to take your screenshot.

You can then hit “esc” and go into the graphics settings and chose one of the presets to restore your settings so you can more around without the fps hit.

Here are some more setting for extremely low quality. Use these to move into position if your computer can’t cope with the default “low” preset.

Low Quality Settings.

r_Sharpening 0
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize 192
e_GI 0
r_ssao 0
r_ssdo 0
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes 256
e_ShadowsResScale 3.4
e_ShadowsPoolSize 2048
r_TessellationTriangleSize 8
e_LodRatio 0
e_ViewDistRatio 0
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation 0
e_ViewDistRatioDetail 0
e_MergedMeshesInstanceDist 0
e_MergedMeshesViewDistRatio 0
e_ParticlesMotionBlur 0
r_Antialiasingmode 0
e_TerrainLodRatio 0

Now I’m extremely new to the Cryengine so if anyone else knows of any settings that should be in here (or settings I have wrong) then let me know and I’ll edit this post.

And as always, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE GAME IS STILL IN ALPHA AND PLAYING AROUND IN THE CONSOLE COULD CAUSE CRASHES

1 Like

For those of you who want to take 4k images (or any resolution for that matter) then you can follow these instructions.

Video tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHRRbJ_LUGQ

You will need to download this tool - Simple Runtime Window Editor 2.2 ZIP content preview - http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/7347 (You will find it under Files > Miscellaneous.

Next you will need to change the games resolution to the resolution you wish to take photos at.
Browse to you 'Profiles" directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Kingdom Come Deliverance\USER_game\Profiles\default) and open up “attributes.xml” (right click > open with “wordpad”).

Make sure this setting has a value of “0” (Windowed Mode). We can not run in Full screen for this.
Attr name=“res_fs” value=“0”

These two settings are your resolution. Change then to your desired resolution.
Attr name=“res_x” value="1920"
Attr name=“res_y” value=“1080”

For 4K you would use
Attr name=“res_x” value="3840"
Attr name=“res_y” value=“2160”

And for Ultra Wide 4K
Attr name=“res_x” value="5120"
Attr name=“res_y” value=“1260”

You may also want to change this setting
Attr name=“res_quality” value=“4”

This is the graphics preset KC:D loads the game with (low, medium, high, very high).
Setting this to a value of “1” loads the game with “low” graphics.
This will stop you from dropping to a stupidly low low FPS from the get go (we will change the GFX settings later).

Note: Deleting your “Profiles” directory will set everything back to defualt if something goes wrong

Next we want to load “Simple Runtime Window Editor 2.2” (SRWE.exe).
Leave that running in the background and then load “Kingdom Come Deliverance”.

Once KC:D is loaded (don’t worry about it not fitting in your screen) Alt-Tab back to SRWE.exe. Click on “Select Running Application” and chose “game.exe”. Then hit the “Fake Full screen” button. This will re size the window to your current desktop res but the game will still be rendering in 4K.

You can then follow the instructions from the first post to change your gfx settings to high SS quality for taking your screenshots.

For those of you who want to know what each command does, here is a list with details.

g_showhud 0 - Turns off the HUD

r_Sharpening 0.25 - Controls the level of the post-processing image sharpening filter. Higher values give more sharpening, but too high values will create artifacts. A value of 0 is off

r_TexturesStreamPoolSize 2047 - Sets the size of VRAM that is available in a pool for texture streaming. Value is in Megabytes, and may be clamped based on the amount of video memory detected. Default Value: 192 (Low), 384 (Medium), 512 (High/Very High)

e_GI 1 - Enables or disables real-time Global Illumination. A value of 0 is off

r_ssao 3 - Chooses the ambient occlusion method Default (0-5. A value of 0 is off)

r_ssdo 2 - Chooses the ambient occlusion method Default (0-2. A value of 0 is off)

e_ShadowsMaxTexRes 8192 - Sets the size of each sun shadow cascade – increased size produces more resolution available for sun shadows.

e_ShadowsResScale 100 - Controls the resolution of shadow maps used for individual shadow casting lights. Value is an arbitrary multiplier, so doubling this will double the resolution of each light.

e_ShadowsPoolSize 8192 - Sets the size of the shadow pool render target – increased size produces more resolution available for, and fewer artifacts in shadow casting lights (NOT including the sun). Value should be a power of 2 (128, 256, …). If the pool is too small to fit the minimum size for the shadow casting lights, the GPU will thrash and performance will be severely impacted.

r_TessellationTriangleSize 1 - The length of a triangle edge in pixels to aim for when tessellating.

e_LodRatio 200 - Controls how close objects drop to lower Levels Of Detail. A higher number means a longer distance before this drop happens.

e_ViewDistRatio 500 - Controls how close objects will stop rendering in the distance.

e_ViewDistRatioVegetation 500 - Controls how close vegetation will stop rendering in the distance.

e_ViewDistRatioDetail 100 - Controls how close certain objects marked as ‘detail’ by artists will stop rendering in the distance.

e_MergedMeshesInstanceDist 15 - Distance fudge-factor where interactive grass instances will stop animating.

e_MergedMeshesViewDistRatio 200 - Multiplier controlling where chunks of interactive grass instances will disappear in the distance.

e_ParticlesMotionBlur 2 - Enables or disables motion blur effect on fast moving particles.

r_Antialiasingmode 3 - Enables post process based anti-aliasing modes. (1-10)

e_TerrainLodRatio 2

Sincere thanks to OP!

I tried it on GTX670 (mediocre GPU). Stable until I tried to select another graphics setting and the game crashed. A comparison shot:

(notice the trees in the distance especially)

It seems I am quite persuaded to upgrade my GPU on time to enjoy the full version of Kingdom Come. :smiley: I would love to use especially the supersampling (false high resolution downscaled) Nvidia option.

Some other shots:

2 Likes

Still not much to take screenshots of. But this should come in handy so long as they don’t lock up anymore CVARs.