Historical Czech cuisine

some more recipes, and I think it will be enough for now.

Yellow apple mush (16th century)
Peel apples, cut them to pieces, stew them on butter until they are soft, and sieve them. Add a little of sweet wine, eggs in amount of one third of apples, grated white bread and not much of honey and spices: cinamon, ginger, saffron, mace and a little of pepper. Add butter and stew until butter will come out, then it will be good.
[This one I do most often, or rather something along these lines. Boil any fruits you have (I often use old brown bananas that nobody wants to eat anymore) in water or milk, add sugar or honey and spices you like. Sometimes also butter, sometimes not. When fruit is soft, add grated dried white bread or rolls, boil it for a little while. When you think it is enough “mushy”, it is done. It can also be done from jam if you don’t have fruit. Such mush from plum jam is also in the recipes, from 15th century]

Carrot marmalade (15th-16th century)
Peel carrot, cut into pieces and boil. When soft, put it on a sieve to remove water and then crush it well. Add dried slices of white bread dipped in wine, elderflower and rose flowers and put it all to molten honey. Add spices: pepper, ginger, cinamon and cloves. Boil well.

and last one to be something special …
Almond eggs (15th - 16th century)
Grind [in mortar probably, I might use bad translation for it] almonds until they are thick. Part of them color with saffron, it will be yolks. The rest dissolve with water and boil. Then take eggshells and cut them tops away. Prepare little skewers; on each one put a ball from yellow almond dough and put it in the eggshell. Then pour that white almond mush around them and put eggshells in a vessel with cold sand to cool them well. Remember to sweeten the almond dough with sugar - both white and yellow. [Too late IMHO :-)] Then break eggshells and remove them and it will look as any eggs. Cut them in half, put on a bowl and pour wine or almond milk over them. It is a clear little dish.
[Almond milk is something they probably drank often. It is boiled and peeled almonds, then grinded, mixed with water, sometimes sweetened with sugar.]

1 Like

Unfortunately, beef liver is the only meat I can’t stand the taste of.
I suppose I could substitute goose livers, but not many peasants could afford Foie gras!

:slight_smile: I expect all recipes here were meant for nobles or at least rich middle-class. I would say that fois gras would be OK.

2 Likes

Chinese? No, thanks.