Horrible Performance

Its not all about the engine, its what you do with it that counts :blonde_woman:, its running a modified version anyway . Its the quality of the gaming code used, imo under optimized. But im just a lowly peasant to question such things.

Got a GTX1080 and i7 4960X CPU with 32GB RAM and I got the same issues :smiley:

well not 5 - 10 FPS but it tanked down to 25 - 35 FPS in 4K I might add.

@Lancelot I don’t think this is the same issue…but you can check it with gpuZ

what should i look for? I know it’s in the correct slot if that is what you mean?

This is a correct one:

Well almost 100% sure but I need to check when I get back home.

I won’t say the game’s performance optimization is bad, because my PC isn’t the spring chicken it used to be and there are certainly issues on my end, but I’ll certainly say that the game’s optimization is…well, weird. I also take massive performance hits as soon as I enter a settlement. FPS will sometimes drop below 20 if I try to ride through a settlement, on foot it’s kinda sorta okay at a stable 30. Outside of settlements, I usually get 60-70 FPS. Why I say the optimization is weird is that the graphics settings have little to no impact on my performance. Between the “low” and “high” presets, there’s only a difference of 5-8 FPS. And bug testing comes before optimization in a release schedule, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to assume the optimization isn’t what it could be…

1 Like

Don’t know if it’s bad, but I can get 50 - 60 FPS in Assassins Creed Origins at 4K ultra,
in KCD I get 25 - 35 FPS on medium at 4K.

Yesterday I had a HW diagnostic program running while in game. As I have 8GB of physical RAM, cca 2.5 GB is eaten by windoze and others,the rest is available . But game permanently uses on top of 5.5GB of physical RAM also 8GB of SSD page file. Its in constant state of reading/writing. Thats some strange RAM usage. Why does the game need 14GB of RAM? In actual state not even 16GB of physical RAM is enough to avoid usage of page file.

Urquhart,
Thank you so much for mentioning this. You’re a joyous man. I backed this game on Kickstarter (Just Baron tier I think, but that’s probably not massively relevant) and had been looking forward to its release for quite some time.

I was horrified at how poor the performance was on my system when it finally released though, and even with the pretty serious performance and optimisation issues that most, if not all, users were suffering from to begin with, I knew something was wrong. Now, I figured the problem wasn’t likely to be any of the hardware itself, as most other titles ran perfectly fine. This machine is, admittedly, getting old now, but the i7 cpu is still oc’ed considerably, and I swapped out the original gpu a while back when it died for a 1080 that’s also got a decent oc.
Nonetheless, I was getting about 19-27 fps riding through Rattay, and the first and only time I went to Radzig’s camp in the full release version the fps was basically just as bad as the post you’ve referenced - maybe 10-15 fps, if even that.

Over the last few weeks I’ve tried just about every tweak, settings combination & console command out there - with precious little improvement from any of them.

In the end, it turns out my GPU was indeed running in PCIe 2 @ 4x. The little plastic catch on my motherboard’s top PCIe slot has always been broken, and I must have mistakenly assumed that the 2nd slot would provide the same specification. Getting the gpu into the top slot and getting multiple screws into the gpu backplate & adequately tight enough to compensate for the broken plastic was a bit of a bitch, honestly, but in an instant 19-23 fps in Rattay became (almost) a constant 60.

Thank you so much again for posting about the dramatic impact running at a lower multiplier can have. I can only assume this is something which is very specific to Cryengine games for some reason (as KCD is literally the only game in which the performance has changed for me) ?

I still wouldn’t say I’m thrilled with the game’s optimisation & performance ( especially as I cannot maintain a constant, smooth 60 fps even at 1080p with a conservative mix of high & very high settings & still see some dramatic fps drops (although the fps tends to drop and then go back up again very quickly in most of these cases) in all of the problem areas that other users have mentioned.

All the same, the contrast in playability & the general framerate, input lag etc since I re-seated my gpu in a slot that lets it run at x16 is like night & day - so thank you once again for taking the time to dig that old post out!

2 Likes

My stat is 3.0 x16@16 3.0

So that one should be ok.

1 Like

maybe this will help

Thank you for your detailed feedback here.
Now have fun with the game … :slight_smile:

Is the clean up of dropped items working? Last 2 days I played only for few hours due to my HDD constanty running and swaping like crazy. Deleting items? Had to be thousands :rofl: Yesterday I fired the game and it stopped. Also camera stutter seems to be mitigated but might be placebo as well. Nevertheless,halberds still scattered around towns everywhere. IMO devs should remove polearms completly from game untill they find a way how to implement them properly. Also info about how this clean up is triggered (if it really works)

I haven’t seen a halberd in rattay since 1.41

I have a Radion 850 @1700MHz 8gig in the board only pcie 16 3.0 slot and an athalon X4 870x @3.9GHZ quad core with 16 gig ram
I still get low frame rates 10-25 in towns 30-40 in open country and 25-35 in forests, 20’s at best in big battles
would love to know what’s up?
this on medium settings.
CPU not good enough?
card not good enough?
multi core optimization not done well or at all?
over all poor optimization?
my MB has poor data transfer?

Hi longshot. Your CPU is really good just for the office PC. Its an old FM2+ socket. Get at least Fx-8350 or better Ryzen 1600.

sadly The upgrade budget was expended on these to revive a dead computer without knowing how bad an upgrade I should have gotten and another upgrade prolly not feasible in the near future.
Those you mentioned prolly total another $ 600 or 900 US depending on REYZAN 5 OR 7

edit: this includes cpu, MB, upgrading ddr3 16gig to ddr4 16 gig and shop work

For a budget AMD gaming computer,prices we have in Slovakia
CPU: Ryzen 1600 150€ (with Wraith cooler)
MoBo: Asus B350-F 115€
RAM : Kingston 8GB 2400MHz 80€
GPU: RX 560 190€
535€ for basic stuff

• If necessary new SSD and Power Source…

Alright. After finally reseating the GPU it went up to x16. I was pretty excited and launched the game immediately but something´s still weird. I might have a higher max fps in cities but it feels like I have much more freezes and frame drops :thinking:

1 Like