How will stealth be handled?

since combat will be more difficult than in many other games I think its just consequent to make stealth more difficult, too.
Only with difficulty comes the long term fun imo and only when its not too easy you have room for improvement of your skills

1 Like

also given the story and character background, I think thieving and stealth shouldnā€™t be that easy.
In most games where such things are possible, chests falls in one of two categories:
Already looted or will be looted if my skill is high enough.
(Ok, there is a third category: you wanted to come back to it but forgot it)
I would prefer it, if the occasions where you can loot stuff are rarer (either because there is always someone around or because you just arenā€™t that good at lock picking and sneaking around)

I agree eagerly. One of the best games I remember playing in terms of gameplay was in fact Gothic II. It had lot of poor design choices but I remember the satisfaction I felt after getting to the town / killing first Orc etc. because it was really hard and because the game forced me to be inventive.

Therefore I get your point unreservedly and I am thinking the same. But I really want this game to succeed and influence other game designers (at least the same way Mafia did). And I am afraid there are lot of ā€œrather casualā€ players who could be perhaps griped by the story of the game and the historical accuracy / opportunity to learn a lot about medieval microhistory who could be quite frustrated by the difficulty of the game you perhaps find quite challenging and fun. (I think Warhorse are probably considering this - I remember Dan talked about the difficulty and the potential options of several difficulty levels - which he dislikes apparently - in some videoupdate or the live stream.)

I donā€™t require the game to be easy, on the contrary. It should be challenging and perhaps show you it is not simple at all to be a medieval thief. But at the same time the game should address broader audience than just hard-core gamers I suppose. YMMV of course. :slight_smile:

I do hope Warhorse is looking at this thread, and will see that we want stealth to be hard but rewarding, but, the way they are making combat hard but rewarding is looking like they understand thatā€™s what their backers want, looking forward to the alpha and shaping the design of this awesome game

3 Likes

With the daily cycle of NPCs in mind
I was thinking about my good old favorite game Quest for Glory againā€¦V Dragon Fire specifically ā€¦
There you were able to rob the bank multiple timesā€¦
First time it was piece of cakeā€¦but if you attempted it a second and third time ,ā€¦more and more guards were patrolling the area around the bank and youā€™d even have to sneak past one inside the bankā€¦

It might be cool if steal attempts are remembered several days (or until they catch you red-handed)
So with a successful steal attempt NPCs will be keeping up their guard in their daily routine ,as long as the crime is not solved.

2 Likes

When you are using stealth kills and takdowns, I think the enemies armor should affect your success. non lethal takedowns shouldnā€™t work on people in full plate, stealth kills on people with mail shouldnā€™t work unless you have a rondel dagger. If you donā€™t have the armor of your enemies in the way, either because your victim only has gambeson, or you have a rondel dagger, success rate should be 100%. to make the game really immersive, add animations of Henry going for weak spots in the armor.