I figured out Kingdom come (Wall of Text)

hey I want to start longsword (or maybe messer) fighting in reality and yeah… I am ready to be beaten like Henry everytime :smiley:

About the game… I have other problem. I kill the boss with 2 hits. The combat system is too easy after you spend some training with Bernard.

1 Like

I bloody love bastard swords. And I almost cried when I could effortlessly switch between a swordx/hield and two-handed styles with Herod’s Sword. They truly put a bastard sword in the game. Usually they are jsut one or the other.

wow I have not tried bastard sword with shield yet… so is it possible to fight when bastard sword and shield? … its great!

Yea, what they call a longsword in KCD is more of a bastard sword. Which, you CAN use with a shield, but 1) you need to be strong enough to do so. 2) You need the properly balanced blade. Which is a pretty penny to get, as it needs to be effective in both styles and 3) Split your time training between the two styles so you aren’t a scrub. 4) You need a good shield to go with it.

KCD makes it seem much easier then it is. But if you can master it, like I am trying to do, you then have technically three ways to defeat/kill your opponent(don’t recommend killing someone irl). The msot effective weapon, though, is your shield.

2 Likes

Hej, thanks for the constructive answers and understanding that I am not hating the game instead having a hard time loving it. Also for your moral support :smiley:

Don´t get me wrong! I don´t want a “I am a hero, I can beat anybody” Game, I just find it strange that i have to fight him after one lesson in swordfight and no lesson in archery. It was no choice to fight him, I just had to. Also you cannot train before that, well once in Skalitz, but that was not very helpful. I even managed to kill two bandits while I was traveling back and then with Hans I did not even score one hit? That has nothing to do with being a behemoth.

The experience systems seems to reward you only for succeeding, not for trying. In real life repetition and failing gives you the experience you need to succeed.

I know it is my fault, don´t get me wrong. The thing is I cannot train swordfight without dying and then the experience is gone. I also did not want to win, I just wanted to hit at least once, wich I did not. That is demoralising as hell, same goes for the Archery wich was “here you have 5 arrows and then compete agains Hans”. I just thought, what the hell is going on here? Just tell me I am worth nothing, then I creep into a hole an die :smiley:

I beg to differ, because they force you to fight. But that is a matter of opinion

I don´t want to spew hate on the game. It inspires me as a Pen an Paper GM to so many things I can use in my campaign. But if I would punish my players like the game does over an over they would just run around and fuck up the campaign. I think it is a fine line between evelish punishing (Dark Souls) and motivational punishment (Monster Hunter). KCD lies somewere between.

Of course, but there is no line to see. Nothing in the training session helped me to beat Hans, there was not one thing wich worked even if the indicator showed it worked. For instance I blocked perfectly and even the animation slowed down but Hans managed to hit me. I used the dodge got the animation, still got damages because he hit me. There was no Learning effect for me as a player, because everything wicht worked in the training did not work on Hans. I call that punishment.

BTW: I was happy to find necklaces in Birds Nests to pay of my dept to the apothecary.

Are you sure you already did learn the “perfect block/perfect hit” for your chosen weapon from bernard? Because I could use the perfect block mechanic against Hans and beat him eventually, although it was a pretty hard fight, since Henry had barely started training in the sword at that point in the story.

1 Like

bad player confession thread #352

I will admit, there are some things about the combat system that do irk me, like the ‘perfect block, but I got hit instead’. However, and don’t quote me here, I think that is entirely having to do with Henry’s skill levels. As the more skills and perks you have, the longer your chance on the counter with a perfect strike. But, with Hans, you have nothing so its literally in real time. You have to block and strike at the same time. I just kept clicking every time I hit the block button and only managed to land one blow.

As for the archery? That sucked, bad. I somehow manage to get almost all bullseyes though. However, I have yet to kill anything but a bunny with a bow since.

I totally understand the frustration and from a pure game perspective, it is kinda BS. But, from a story perspective it makes so much sense.

And yes, the matter of the fight being a punishment or not is a matter of opinion. I’m more inclined to say it is negative re-enforcement. ‘IF you don’t train, this is combat for you, buddy.’ type deal.

1 Like

I am pretty sure I did. I was never scolded by him for being useless. sadly I have not recorded that, bad judgement from me. AFAIK when I am in the animatio I did it right, right?

Go away number and be toxic somewere else :smiley:

The thing is that when I am fightng outside the ring in the wood for example. I will be dead when blocking does not work like in the Hans fight. Then the experience is gone and I as a player still cannot figure out why the correct animated block was not successful. When I set up rules in a Game the should work for anybody in it. Not only for the player. And I guess THAT is the main point.

Yes, if you got it there is an animation. Though I believe(at least it seems that way sometimes) that it can still fail, if your skill is too low or you started a fraction of a second too late with the block. The latter especially since the window of opportunity is extremely short at the beginning of the game and dependent upon skill.

And it could always be that something is wonky with that particular save after the patches. Afterall the perfect block did work for me. I just odn’t know ;( .

1 Like

Wich patch? Xbox got the day one patch and the Week 1 patch is not in sight in week 2

If it is intended that a higher skilled NPC can ignore your perfect block, why bothering fighting with that enemy? Run away or just stand still and die. But not giving away the reason why it did not work is just well, stupid

Well, to be the devil’s advocate here, the rules that losing the Hans fight teaches you is ‘train a shitton before you run off to fight bandits’. If we take that into account, then losing to Hans where you don’t die, but then running out in the world right away and dieing is your own fault.

I do think that they should’ve given you the ability to do a few fights before Hans shows up, however. But, its a little late to ask for that now. It’d just make the game buggier as hell to add that in now.

I beat Hans, he gave me a bow i couldnt use at all. I beat him other places, and i still wound up having to save his ass just to have him call me an asshole because i was poking fun at it.

2 Likes

Lol! Some things are accurate.

I gotta say though, i kicked hans ass every time. Archery, swords, fists, hunting, lol not bad for the village idiot

2 Likes

Pay attention to the combat guide. Read some guides online maybe. It’s not supposed to be simple.

Lol he’s super easy to beat, I destroyed him!

1 Like

I just interpreted the amount of forced combat with intended failure as the game merely teaching the player that the world is dangerous. I think your mistake is reloading everytime you lost instead of embracing that the game is set up to allow you to fail these encounters.

Henry isn’t the village idiot, he’s just the villager that aspires to be a knight. And life is rough for that kind of person.

Not all Henry’s are created equal. Lol during a cutscene i saw how ridiculous my guy looked wearing tattered clothes and armor, i got my act together finally lol

1 Like

Today was a new day for the village Idiot (me) and it was suprisinhly successful. Well the damn deers, I shot 4 arrows in it and it looked like a porcupine but it was still grazing

On the other hand I know my mushrooms now, killed one Cuman and cut of his ear. And now I got a horse…I hobe this lovestory is goimg to evolve