Language style: Old or modern?

Not old, not modern. Just basic english from 20 century. Nothing like LOL and DUDE of course.

I love the language in the publishers’ demo, thought it was perfect! Great acting for novices too, just needs a bit more work. Please dont modern it up!

3 Likes

Modern, when they talk all fantasy and old timey, it takes me out of the experience and is harder to relate to it. I guess you could call it “realistic” to have old style speech, but it doesn’t really immerse the player as much when you have no clue what everyone is talking about.

1 Like

First, let me say this: No one wants to take away or replace your precious English! It will be there no matter what.

The suggested options are and were always:
English (or other common localizations: DE, FR, ES 
)
+
Authentic

The player can select which option he would like to use in the game menu.
So, everyone gets what he/she wants. Nobody will be disadvantaged.

We’ve got it already. No one demanded to have Old English in the game. People used it to describe anything that isn’t nowaday’s English because they didn’t know the proper term. We are also past Middle English for a while now. :wink:

Then don’t ask for accuracy for an inaccurate language! Won’t find any sense in this. Because English is used instead of Czech there’s obviously some leeway involved. So, we can also apply some leeway to the time period of the language and use Early Middle English as common ground where “Old English” and “New English” will meet.
Because of this it’s easier to understand and who doesn’t understand this form of English (which is very close to Modern English) most likely has also trouble to understand Modern English and has to rely on subtitles or localization anyway. Since I, as non-native speaker, could understand almost everything of the stream’s English no native speaker should have something to complain about.

And of course, as someone mentioned, direction and writing and so on should be improved on what we heard in the live stream.

Oh, I see, because it’s not English it’s niche and obscure. What an arrogant statement. Language is an important part of ever day life because we need it to express ourselves. Especially this game, as it is striving for authenticity and realism, will benefit from an accurate depiction (including language) of that period in every respect.

So, it’s okay to throw money at expensive actors which could be spend to improve on more important things instead?

Ok, I get the gist. People stating their opinion in forums don’t really mean what they’re saying. In conclusion, it basically means they are lying. Are you lying right now?

btw:
Yell a bit louder if you can.
Some letters still were lower case. :stuck_out_tongue:

After playing many games over the years, I believe that a game should be in the Language of the person Playing.
So in Czech Republic they hear it in Czech and in English Speaking Countries in English.
The Released Game needs Various Languages - so the Player Chooses.

What I believe is more Important is that the Vernacular - The Terminology - used in the Language must be understood in the Language used. A Toilet, a Lavatory, a Garderobe, The Bathroom - all the same thing, but some, may not be understood by many Players.
Having the Vernacular from Shakespeare or from Medieval Period may be Authentic - But can cause the Player Immersion to be lost or lessened.
We all use Current Period Vernacular when speaking - or else we sound Strange to those listening.
AND Meaning can be lost - as some players will not know - For Sooth, do you Ken, Laddy.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind having it either way, but it’d certainly be interesting playing a game voiced with an Elizabethan accent (very different to the modern accent in the video)

1 Like

You obviously need a better command of the English language because you’ve missed the point entirely and went on some idiotic rant and did not understand the point of my post at all.

The younger guy in that video had such an awesome voice! Warhorse should hire him for voice acting!

Wait, Goethe (1749-1832) is too recent,but Luther (1483-1546) suits? I indeed would even understand “von der Vogelweides” language, but don’t think anybody whos motherlanguage isn’t German would. Maybe even many german people would not understand it.
Use a type of German just like it was spoken in the 18th century.
Goethe too recent

Please no old English, or even worse Shakespearean English. Not only is it impossible to understand half of the words, but it takes so much out of the game to the point I just want to stop playing. The Miller’s daughter at the start of the video darn nearly made me cancel my pledge, but thankfully the rest of the dialog from the other NPCs had been contemporary English.

From my understanding “Old” versions of other languages don’t suffer the same issues that occur in English. In Japanese for instance its more of an accent with longer sounds, while in English it sounds like a completely different language with a few familiar words thrown in into the pot. It’s so awkward to listen to dialog that requires me think for a few moments before I can understand what was just said.

1 Like

Just curious, do you know any other language than English?

1 Like

Î would like a mix between modern and ancient English. I dont think words like “cool” or “ok” would fit in this medival setting. Maybe they should also use a german accent.

i had no problem understanding what she said, though it didn’t flow and sounded forced. i think the problem is on your end.

A trifle arrogant to say don’t you think? Especially in light of score of others saying the same.

If it “didn’t flow and sounded forced”, as you admit, then the problem is most definitely not on his end. If I’d watch a film like, say, The Room, then it’s my problem the film sucks?

Language is very important, not only for the game itself but for the sale of it also. Very little people outside of germany or chechia will buy the game if no english is possible. So definitely use english as main, make it sound like the game of thrones books read, a bit more strict and formal use of english, the kind sentences you would hear in mideval times. For instance, Dont use I dont know where she is. but more like : I know not where she resides. or I hope he is okay. Use something like: I pray he is unharmed.
Everyone will understand yet feel that its not common day language but set in a mideval time where people talk differently and adress one another differently. It would be a great additon to see this worked out to the fullest, some think that it would make the game less immersive, for me it would mean just the opposite, when you hear the right kind of language and words it makes a world of difference. Words like I know not, daresay, pray, wench, brigands cutpurse etc etc. use the name calling and street slang used then.

Define old language style, because nobody understand 600 years old czech language at all. I think same problem has english and german too.
NO SPEAKING in 600 years old language please.
For example The Witcher has good speeches, so why devastate this game by old language? :wink:
Guys, think!! Its just game. Not real world. :wink:

Honestly modern English is a deal breaker for me, I do not want to play a game set in the 15th century where people talk how I talk now. That is literally the LEAST immersive thing I can think of. I want language that tells me I’m someone living 600 years ago. If I have to read subtitles while listening to people speaking more or less period/location accurate language, fine. I had no problem with the way the dialogue was in the Livestream, sure it felt a little forced but that had more to do with the script needing some refining than anything else. It was easy to understand but still unfamiliar enough to make not it feel like some odd juxtaposition of Americans and swords. Bottom line, if I hear some lord say “Don’t sweat it Henry, I can always get another sword” I’m turning the game off and removing it from my hard drive.

1 Like

Communication and ambiance are important. I’d prefer something clear, but with select wording that promotes a sense of occasion, and also brings light to characters of the game world.

It would be appropriate for communication to be as clear to us, as it would naturally to the player character. It would also be an added element of play, if there were some spoken dialects AS A TWIST as not meant to be understood.

Imagine an npc that is raging at you in an obscure regional dialect? I think it would add a fantastic element to the feel of the game.

2 Likes

I agree with you on most of your post.

I do appreciate when in games/film a non English speaking character speaks with an accent, depending on the context. It can be realistic in the sense that english has become a main language in modern era, and sometimes when a bunch of people from different countries collide together at a party, pub, school, etc, we all speak in english but each one in their own accent. Its a standard now, how else can a Spaniard, German, Mexican, Serbian, Japanese or Russian understand each other? But this is now, how bout then?

For the game, about this matter, I wouldn’t mind if there was a main language, say English or Latin or Czech, and characters from other countries spoke this language with their own accent. Whatever the original version of the game is in, that’s how I will play it (with titles, of course), no matter if its english or freaking old pig latin. I want to hear the creators’ ideal acting voices.

I’d sure like to hear various languages in the game kind of like in Inglorious Basterds for the sake of immersion, authenticity and fun.