New HD textures

Are people having a problem with stutter on PCs?
I began to have problems on XBox One after about 35 hours of game time. Especially bad in the cities.
Stuttering has curtailed my desire to play the game.

they are quite noticeable on larger resolutions

I use colour set reference screens where able.

The HD texture pack made a very noticable change even at 1920x1080 resolution.
The biggest benefit is that previously it felt that some textures were not of equal quality… now the world is pretty seamless with equal quality assets abound.

Sometimes more acurate greyscale or colour doesnt reveal itself until many effects layer.
The foliage,flora and fauna in this game are insanely accurate. Pre HD texture pack I found many items ‘underbaked’.

My households frequency for stopping and ‘smelling the roses’ is more frequent post HD texture update.
Even if the roses are an algae bloom in the river…

1 Like

HD textures have nothing to do with display resolution!

They mean nothing to me. I can’t use them.
I don’t own a Superwunder-System
When switched on, ALL the settings go to high and my FPS goes further into the dung pile.
It wasn’t meant for mid level/slightly older systems along with the poor optimization for such systems.

Optimisations appear to being made with consideration for low end systems.

They did mention that certain things in settings correlate and we are therefor best to use preset that works for us… and if high detail+ isnt a usage a user can hit- then HD textures are more than likely to hinder more than help.

My understanding is some video cards are more likely to play well with uncompressed textures. The ones that do having enough grunt when appropriately paired with a balanced system spec(RAM bandwidth and CPU capability matter) -shouldnt prove a huge issue.

Maybe not at higher res and antialiasing levels.
mighy be worth trying in borderline systems (can run high preset well enough),… as for a few cards it might help more than hinder.
Whilst I believe the AMD Fury I use has excellent compression handling… I didnt lose any framerate for the switchup.
I do have a 1200mb per second drive feeding into quad channel RAM on a six core/twelve thread beastie.
HD textures for me is flawless and might be a little better even-giving consistantly high framerates.

(That in second hand prices cost around an xbox x-being three year+old parts that were not top of the line)

Microsoft gimping pc platform and first party studios (they have their strategy and are ‘reaquiring’)will make some nicely optimised titles that punch harder than their hardware suggests is capable.
That usually happens around second to third gen titles for any system - something modern game development times and microsofts screwing the market over with too many systems too frequently will really play havoc with.

Simce ps4s install base is so huge most multiplats will simply aim for ps4 tailoring… cull a bit for xbox one, ramp up a bit for ps4 pro and then high res a bit more for the one x.

The one x is one of the worst things to happen to gaming. It costs us, the consumers, far more than it will ever reveal.

still better than what I have.

CPU: AMD AMD Athlon™ X4 870K Quad Core Processor 3.9 Ghz
Number of available logical processors: 4
Total number of system cores: 2
Number of cores available to process: 2
VID:Radeon RX 580 Series 1700Mhz 8 gig vram
16 gig ddr3 ram
2 500 gig ssd drives ( not the fastest ones either.
and old hd disc drive.
been told its a nice office system.
I don’t use anti aliasing or vert sync.
most settings are on medium, some on low 1-2 on high

Bull it is a nice office system.
As an office system the boss’ kids would be playing on it after hours.

Its issue is the massive CPU bottleneck and not many games have been CPU bound for like seven years or so (due to consoles releasing with ‘off the shelf’ low tier parts)…

Whats your motherboard? Any scope for a CPU swapout? An upgraded CPU would do wonders for your rig-as a gaming box- for future titles.
Even getting a four core (true) would net 25% gains to low framerates for KCD. A four core with hyperthreading and you’d be most of your way to a killer gaming box for many years.

Second hand you’d probably be paying more for the swapover time/install than the CPU itself.

If you hate computers and reinstalling windows… then dont.
If you want high end gaming you are most of the way there.
Ddr3 ram isnt a game killer. Nor is 16gb. Ram prices are too high (second hand and new) presently… and due to mining not many second hand video cards of decent spec either are around.
Your machine with a cpu change would run battlefield multiplayer (hardest thing Ive seen to tax a PC) at monitor refresh rate and pretty settings.

Heck I am excited- point me to your local areas’ online trading post and we will net 'cha a newer cpu. (And mainboard/cooler if required)

It might cost around a game… and if even one game is improved? (!!)
Office PC? Thats some pretty serious tetris you are spreadsheeting!

very recent purchase new of guts and going from 8 gig to 16. $900 not counting a new PSU.
newer guts replacement w/ ddr 4, reyzen 7 ( not the new next gen one), MB : $600
not possible right now.
Hafta put up with 10-20 fps in towns, 30-40 in open country, 25 in forests, 15 in big battles.
for now and hope WHS continue tinkering.

Actually looked it up…
It appears to be a true four core- there is some latitude with other top of the line fm2+ processors…

And the good is: Similar to FM1 and FM2, the FM2+ is a zero insertion force socket, that uses a lever to lock processor in place and ensure good connectivity between the pins and socket contacts. The FM2+ is usually marked as “FM2b” on actual socket, and it is guaranteed to last at least 50 CPU replacements.

-I have never run fifty cpus over a mainboard. I reckon a dust particle would screw up contacts at some point and the user would toss the board believing it faulty…

The 870k you have is a heavy heater vs some alternatives… but short of reading a few benches- the project might not be worth the time effort.
Soz- i read your description as it being like a two core with four threads.
Bugga.
Not an office machine. :wink:

Check your ssd drives arent cheap consumer samsungs- they have a habit of forcing more and more compression (less actual cost to samsung),… and generally like samsung ‘magician’ software to be installed to fair well against real/quality SSD drives.

Your framerates indicate lows at cpu hitting moments- your CPU at its max dealing with the game doesnt have the overhead to load from the cheaper ssd…

Other users have noted this as well- maybe put the game on a normal drive and check framerate lows in cpu intensive areas…

Most wouldnt really notice- but an open world game with streamed assets and cpu hitting isnt an everyday thing…

I would love a true 8 core amd rezen 7 ( would not mind the next gen one too) and the MB that services it well and 16 gig ddr 4 ram , a 1080 class card in 8 gig vram ( at least) and run KCD at 70-100fps on very high. that kinda $$$ is not feasible right now.
and the above mentioned guts switch would only yield at most a 25fps . $$ to FPS ratio not good enough.

Oh shit!

This could be a biggie for a lot of users-

The game makes use of virtual memory.
Forza 3 showed me how an open world game can have performance dive on top end systems with some strange settings. (To be fair it was optimised for microsoft to be ‘unoptimised on PC’)
Forza 3 had a strange reliance on virtual mem… and when it released a lot of IT pros with top of the line rigs had some crazy fluctuations in framerate.
It turned out the game was unpacking in virtual mem the entire gameworld. After forty minutes of driving around framerates would stabilise.
Forza did do some stupid stuff with encrypted textures (seriously) and lots of little decisions that would grind a PC to a halt. (It really was setup to be the worst playing title on a pc they could make it-to make xbox ones look powerful; which even had split screen gaming and HDR goodness).

Anyhow keeping the flow…
Virtual memory utilisation being required in that game caught many of us IT peeps right out.
Many of us had been turning it off or setting it in custom ways that microsoft didnt like.
When set with a 12Gb pagefile my machine magically improved (a low framerate hitch dissapeared completely).
This fix worked for many.

Now if KCD IS using virtual mem in ways that open world fames havedone previously- we might wish to look at which drive we have it on and how much of it.

TL:DR dont put virtual mem on a cheap consumer ssd that uses cpu overhead more than standard (especially if using a four core or less).
Try a virtual mem block on another drive, even an older harddrive to check if all that reading and writing to cheap SSDs isnt killing CPU performance.

Yes I know benchmarks of cheap samsung drives show their performance to be market competitive…
Are those benchmarks done with a desktop PC running a simple task or a killer title like KCD?

Not all SSDs are created equally.
Id take an older gen Samsung over a newer gen Sammy in many instances simply due to how many levels they are squeezing out of their cells.

Enterprise SSDs (first units/high quality units) used SLC (single level cell) tech. They basically never wear out and require less overhead to use.
First gen consumer grade drives used two bits of data per cell or MLC (multilevel cell).

Samsung figured they could put 1/3 less parts in their drive (essentially) by pushing for TLC (tri level cells).
That was yonks ago and the latest gen drives have pushed the squeeze again if I have read correctly.

I understand that a processor akin to an android phones processor is in the drive for handling all that compression.
Samsung need their magician software running to sustain that rate in some usage scenarios.
Id hesitate to put one in my machine or rely on it to perform in real world scenarios.

Most of my ten year old ssds still perform flawlessly even under load. You get what you pay for. Samsung are masters at spec sheet misrepresentation to make their parts seem better.

not so sure they are Samsung.
hafta ask the shop I bought one from the other was on amazon.
are you talking of moving KCD to the disc HD? heck a normal install from gog is over 45min. just for a test?

Not at all.
Dont touch the game files. …

(Yet) (though I would definately like to know more about both your SSDs).

Move your windows virtual mem to another drive.
Should alleviate some major bottlenecking is my guess

am a bit out of date on this type of stuff. ( like 5 years).
usta DIY the parts and install windows.
How do I do what you said with win 10/64 home?

GA-F2A68HM-DS2H

Actually the old method I am quicker at finding than the new ‘win 10’ method (which just adds more steps to get to the same screens).

My Missus just rocked up- so gotta go coffee now- will edit this post with some step by steps. …

Win key and R (command prompt); type control (hit enter)
Control panel now. Click on system/sys properties. We want advanced system properties… its the second tab along and shouldnhave a button for setting a user selected size- and we set min and max to be the same… try 16gb if you can spare it…

(From top of head will write elegant step by step when I next fire up the pc)