Our biggest concerns

This thread is suppose to deliver some insights to the devs of what the communities biggest concerns are in prospect of the finished game. Maybe this can help polishing the final product

Mine are:

Wooden AI behavior like in Arma.

A half baken story with no real conclusion. As much as I loved Mafia 2 i.e. The final was a major letdown.

This thread is not about trolling. If I made myself unclear about something feel free to ask.

2 Likes

The developers listening to people on this forum.

15 Likes

After toddling around here for a few days, I have to say that a major concern of mine is that the Warhorse Team will feel obliged to honor the community’s wishes where possible, and it will ruin their truly innovative and ground breaking game.

Please Warhorse… we are not game designers. We are not Creative Directors, Lead Programmers, or Lead Level Designers. Don’t let our misguided and ill-informed suggestions water down your truly impressive vision of Kingdom Come! :smiley:

55 Likes

I’m actually not worried about the story being broken at all. Dark Souls had a story that you as the player chose how involved you got in. it wasn’t a cookie cutter system like in most rpgs where the player initialized everything. if you don’t go to the major battle, you miss it. the world moves on. i feel like that adds to the game way more than it takes away. sure you won’t be able to experience the entire story in one playthrough, but that just adds replayability. Personally, i wish more rpgs did their story this way. makes it more interesting.

your thoughts?

-T

5 Likes

I would at least rather be informed when a major battle/plot move is going on to get a chance to participate. Instead of missing importants stuff and having to watch walkthrough movies on youtube.

1 Like

Good thread idea, I support this.

My biggest concern so far has actually been partially addressed by Mr. Vávra during the latest live stream.
The voice over is currently pretty goofy, and he did mention that they’re going to rework it to sound less over-the-top renaissance style. The peasants and foot-soldiers especially would not talk in that manner. The nobles and high-born may talk closer to what we’re currently hearing.

Personally, off-putting voice acting pulls me right out of any kind of immersion.

If anyone is curious as to what realistic dialogue would be, I suggest taking a look at The Saxon Stories written by Bernard Cornwell.
It’s set in a different time than this game (866 - 900-ish), but the dialogue feels very genuine and is well researched. I think it would be a good fit for this game.

4 Likes

My biggest concern is that the real-feel will not be realistic enough - my expectations are SO high now! :wink:
Actually, I am most worried about the “freedom of action” vanishing simply due to the fact that Act I must have a certain ending in order for Act II to have a defined start… The creators made a big point of the fact that in KinCoDe the quests are not going to wait for the player - and I very much hope that the climax of the game will NOT wait either!
Alright, if I have my way there will be several (or many) game sessions that will end in a bleek style - the major battle or what not happens without me, my character only gets to hear about it in a pub after the fact and then I will be only allowed to play out the minor quests and minigames knowing (as a player, not the character) that I “lost”. And serve me right, if I didn’t care for the storyline and major quests, right?! But then why not to choose to play as a stableboy, who decides to stay a stableboy or become a highwayman or something just as ignoble? But perhaps my concern is moot and the creators have already got this covered…

I’d like to be sure the AI will be something new and fresh. I’d also like a guarantee that I won’t be just wandering around killing people. I’d like to be able to own property, farm, raise animals, raise a family, take over a castle, etc.

And for the love of every god out there: put in nudity. I didn’t pay for a sissy game :smile:

7 Likes

My only concern is my own foolishness, because I’m affraid that my expectations are so high and unrealistic, that even if they deliver a truly great game, I won’t be satisfied. And it’s your fault, @warhorse ! xD

1 Like

I fear only two simple things: anachronisms and “wrong placed” things. e.g. some sorts of weapons (“real” bihanders/longswords became common in middle 1400… so it would make no sense to see a whole army with bihanders on a battlefield in a game that takes place in 1403), banners or historical persons.

4 Likes

That overblown expectations of the community will lead to a lot of disappointment. After all, it is still just a game developed by a group of people.

9 Likes

I am afraid of the final version of combat system. Im scared it will be frustrating and tough oponents will be able to stand after I impale them several times, like it was in live stream. I know it was not finished version, but they just said animations or attacks will be better. If I get it, that opponent was set for armored and durable, but it still seemed weird.

Also I am afraid of lot of feautures being incomplete. Warhorse is promising us so much of great stuff.
And if those promised things will be working properly, I think the game will be awesome.
But I wonder what happen when they will not have enough time to finish them and test them properly.
Will they exlude them? Or will they release them anyway?

I hope there will be some new video soon, about the working progress.

3 Likes

@neon-knight I totally agree with your post and share you concern about combat.
IMHO when you see that your sword penetrate opponent’s armor and his flesh, then he should go down and probably die. Same goes for the player. If you don’t kill the enemy when a visually fatal blow occurs, then the realism is all gone, like it was gone is the final minutes of the video stream.
I hope that when your opponent is tough and you can’t just kill him with a single proper strike, then the attack animation should be different and actually doesn’t look like you’ve just killed him and in the next moment he shakes it off as nothing serious happened.
Also, my next concern would be Warhorse listening too much console gamers and making the game more softcore or more arcade because of their suggestions. Let alone implementing 3rd person camera - this will be a death blow to Deliverance.

7 Likes

I too am worried about the demands of the over-hyped fanbase messing things up. But I think there are enough level headed people here that want to support rather than complain.

Most importantly for me, I am concerned that immersion will not be to the extent I would prefer.

For example:
I can hunt and cook but…Do I need to eat? What about sleep? or hydrate?

I can work the forge tools to improve my weapons but… Do I need to perform regular maintenance on weapons and armor? Will they break if not? or be less effective?

I can wash my clothes to improve how people perceive me but… Can I bathe? or shave? What about weather effects? Do I need to be dressed appropriately in the cold or the rain? If not will I catch cold? or frostbite?

I can get a loyal hound to be my companion but… Can I train it to perform certain tasks? Can it die? Can I breed it and raise its pups if it passes away? Do I have to feed it? What about my horse? Does it eat and drink?

I can fish but… Will there actually be fish in the water when I’m not actively fishing? What about birds in the sky? Or small woodland creatures? or insects?

These things would normally seem trivial…but if the game is trying to push realism then I’d hope for these immersion elements to be there.

15 Likes

Yeah, definitely, I dont think the game needs ton of features.
It just need the feautures to be sophisticated, thoughtful, finished and tested.

2 Likes

Yes, @Jlyga_u_onacHa &@Neon_Knight , the combats gave weird inpressions in the video. Perhaps the problem was our perception of the “measure of the sword’s penetration into the body” during the stabs. A lot of careful workshould be done in order to make sure that non-fatal blows don’t look fatal, while fatal blows do.
Speaking of the combat, I was confused about the indicator bar in the fight screen. It was not clear to me, if it is the power of the next blow, my stamina, opponent’s stamina… I have not played RPGs for ages, so I might miss the obvious. Let’s assume it was the power of the next blow. However, in their narratives Warhorse went on about fighting with my stamina againsts opponent’s stamina and also about how the sharpness of the sword matters. I missed the indicators to of these quantities…

4 Likes

Frankly, I didnt understand that bar either.

I have grave concerns when Developers listen to the Community too much…I’m serious. ARMA3 Rectification Tracker was full of Spam which said things like “Add in a Battlefield 3 type Melee knife kill mode” etc etc, there were hundreds of ridiculous suggestions which didn’t fit the realism element of ARMA, example such as “Not being able to land a helicopter at 100kts is BS and unrealistic” and then you had the poster arguing with former military pilots that you can land a Helicopter at 100kts which they (the experts who flew the damn things) called “nonsense”.

So my suggestion would be to leave it to the team and hope they get people real Medieval experts, not just the crusty arm chair historian academics, but stunt-men, re-enactors.

The Man I would recommend most would be Mike Loades, he would love something this and would add an awful lot to it!

[Mike Loades Awesome Weapons Expert][1]

I think he would help the Team no end.

2 Likes

To keep it short for now:
I’m afraid many of you are forgetting that the game needs 2 more years, well about 22 months, of development. The things we’ve seen and were promised might seem abundant but is actually still rather limited and in many cases in stage of (early) development. A lot of the concerns and things mentioned here probably won’t be able to be answered for quite some while as even Warhorse might not yet know what will give possible problems and how far they’ll be taking certain aspects. Imo we better keep the worrying for ourselves until at least a year has passed and use the forums now to come up with things that might support Warhorse in developing during that time.

@TheLoreSeeker
Most of the things you’ve said have been confirmed to be of matter. Your character needs to eat to keep a certain level of health/stamina and the food you carry along even tends to become overdue after some time thus giving a new need for hunting or cooking. The clothing that needs washing and the functions of the dog etc. are all still things, as I said, in (almost early) development. How these will be animated etc. is still unknown just because of the fact that we’re still 22 months away from the game.

Yeah, I was annoyed by Mafia 2’s ending as well. Such a great game, but if you played the end, then you could only go to the moment right before the end again and then if you got to the place where the final was then it always started happening and you couldnt get out. But I wouldn’t expect Kingdom Come to have similar problems.