Pickpocketing is too random

exactly. Im a strength guy now, didnt intend to but eventually some perks and the armor and now i’m at like 16-18 STR or something. So IF I get caught I just intimidate them, and they usually back off unless I killed or knocked someone out, then I just pay them. The only problem to walking it off and paying them off instead of serving jail time is NPCs dont care if you’ve made it right with the guards, they want you to serve time. So until you go to jail, or so I’ve heard, they will still have a distaste for you and may not talk to you without a payment, or at all. I’m not sure, I’m not a maniac serial murderer but I’m no saint, and it doesnt seem to affect my reputation anything super seriously. If I have to pay someone to talk I’ll do it, groschen is a plenty in this game

9 pickpocketing, 12 stealth, 3 noise, 40 vis/cons, night, sleeping victim, he is turned back to me, no witnesses. Out of 20 attempts he caught me 5 times less than 8 seconds in. 4 times less than 12 seconds. Indicator never went red.
It’s so unpredictable. Just strangling them and stealing from unconcious bodies is much more reliable. There is really no reason to use pickpocketing instead of strangling.

2 Likes

thats frustrating. I’ve been busted a few times when I didnt think I would be but it doesnt seem that bad to me. Just know there are a lot of people complaining about this, lock picking and just about everything you can think of lol. Some people have problems, other dont; and what system you use seems to matter little. Just avoid it for now or try to save scum, if you need to, and sleep before you go burgling and hope for the best. This will probably be addressed by mods or devs, but probably not for a while. May just have to avoid it or take a risk, pickpocketing is pretty unsatisfactory though. Like I get way better gear for selling by just killing bandits, if you steal something you get like bread, dried fruit, a key to a place you’ve already broken into or (the only good thing really) a merchants chest key, or a crap axe. And it is super risky right now to even pick pocket. The best thing I got was a book on stealth, which I’m pretty sure is a complete shot in the dark as to who has them on them, but I’m not sure.

I’d rather have a pickpocketing system where there is a dot in the middle of the reticle and something is chasing you. You will get spotted if it catches the dot. Your dot can move around with your control, but it gets harder to avoid depending on the factors of stealth, what you wear, and the attentiveness of the target.

That will be better than just pure dumb luck, even when scaled.

1 Like

Only problem with a mini game, unless this is less complicated then it sounds, is that You can pick pocket on the move…So now I have to play a mini game while I’m trying to keep up with, but not bump into, my target. How about they just fix the circle to have a red to green fade like they do but have it actually work. Have it be only for the target, like how long until THEY will notice you, you should get no clues as to whether or not someone else can see you; for realism you should steak out your surroundings and make sure everyone is asleep/no guards are walking up or whatever.

I think their system is fine, I just think it needs to actually work, and I should not have them notice me if I’m in the green(or at least have a really really small chance of it), have a decent chance if its yellowish and almost a guarantee you’ll get caught if it’s red. Things like clothing and stealth and pick pocketing skill should determine what kind of colors you get in your circle, based off the type of character you’re going for (a sleeping peasant will probably not be on as high alert as a merchant or their guard, even when sleeping but less so when they are sleeping vs when they are awake) and maybe implement a luck stat that determines your ability to pickpocket even though it was red, or instead of the skill for it having luck govern your chance of opening a lock when the pick breaks, or what kind of gear you can loot off bodies (to help with making golds way too fast).

1 Like

The red/green system would be fine if it worked.

1 Like

Yes, this problems will be fixed with patch 1.3

2 Likes

Yep, the idea of Probability vs skill RPG mechanics have it’s pros and cons, the earlier being truly Roleplay, the latter more sensivble. If we are to provide the best of each concept it would be like this:

[more skill based]
I was thinking of a system that marries both probability and skill. You have control on how to avoid getting caught, but it gets easier/harder on the circumstances of it happening. Since pickpocketing is alot of things, trying not to get caught, following the person, ‘groping’(lol) his pockets, then in hindsight, that’s multitasking in a nutshell, but of course the difficult threshold shouldnt be too high that it’s nigh impossible.

[more Probability based]
But I agree, the red/green system should have a clearer indicator. I think there should be a 100% no chance of getting caught in the green colour, but there will be a flash-to-yellow to indicate increasing probability of getting caught, and another flash-to-red to indicate a 100% gurantee of getting caught.

Wasn’t there a meme that you can’t have 100% chance in an RPG? Same reason why you can miss point blank in X-COM.