Something to think about for the next kingdom come game

@Logist
having a woman’s lot role for Henry in KCD2 would be a really good way to solve many of continuity vs room for development issues. would be even better if Henry’s decisions and notable skillsets in KCD could be ported into KCD like Dragon Age/Witcher/etc to add variability, impact, weight to all those hours (investment). For example, was he primarily a 2H swordsman in KCD, get A in KCD2; rogue in KCD, get B in KCD2; so forth and so on

1 Like

Well, importing saves could solve that issue, and satisfy everyone. Except the devs. They have to work on all this.

I just think, that actually story of Henry already got it’s good open end. He found his real father, left part of past behind (who cared about that sword anyway?) and moved to new adventures with his not so bad friend.

you probably didn’t identify much with your ‘henry’ in kcd 1…but I believe most players did so. I definitely want to continue with ‘my henry’ in kcd 2.

1 Like

This was just an example. You can think deeper what would be more plausible. Have you a better idea? And how many things in Kingdom Come are contrived? There are a lot!

Remembering KCD2 is act 3

Too many things to list. Main contrivance is a novice slightly socially awkward smithy apprentice is enabled to become master archer, swordsman, mace man, axe man, alchemist, hunter, lover, diplomat/influencer, repairman, houndsman, horseman, etc in the course of a summer. To repeat that (offense) is the epitome of a lazy narrative structure

Unless WH wants to strap itself to the limitations of KCD and its engine, ‘my Henry’ should NOT be wedded to a literal copy (inventory, skills, perks, etc ported directly). ‘my Henry’ should be a config choice. The game prompts you. Do you want to start anew or do you want to start as ‘my Henry’? If the latter, the UI prompts you to create a profile of ‘my Henry’ that enables skills, populates related inventory (eg bow-quiver-arrows added if you say ‘my Henry’ was a master archer), etc. The key is likely that opportunity costs/binary decisions have to be built in (ie can’t be an omni master in base game — as with FO, mods can enable omni master). The choices should impact some options available (archer related jobs/quests/missions for those that are master archers… or become during course of KCD2 but lose out on time sensitive jobs/quests/missions that passed). The choices should also impact strategy for engaging some MQs

1 Like

Are you serious? THIS is contrived! Oh no, please say KCD2 will not have a character config menu! This is the worst thing a RPG can have. It’s also wrong to see Henry as “my Henry”, because a good game must feel like I’m Henry. Instead of I’m just playing a character whose name is Henry. A character is nothing you can create or config like a playmobil station! A character is a part of a story and shouldn’t be created as everyone wants. A character should be develooed by playing the game and not before the game starts.

RPGs are epistemologically a contrivance so your argument doesn’t have strong legs. KCD2 is a continuance. i’ll take a contrivance to maintain continuity (as an option, not a mandate) over the contrivance of lazy narrative structure any day of the week

don’t know if this semantic nuance is a German vs English thing but native English speakers know what @Mick81 intends by his statement. so, your distinction has little if any meaningful difference beyond the extreme of you actually being deluded to feel you are Henry (the imaginary character fashioned by Daniel et al) and that you’re using Chessqueen’s account to reply to a game about yourself hundreds of years after your putative existence

never said any such thing and your failure to discern opportunity costs/binary decisions suggests you have a comprehension problem or lack sincerity in discourse

WH could enforce what i refer to as literal copying (that would literally be the product of one’s development) but it would carry more baggage (eg engine limitations, inventory incompatibility, potential skill and perk tree incompatibilities and disconnects) than it’s worth imo

I’m not going to reply to the ironic stuff in your post, but maybe yes this is a German vs English thing. For example in english, games are designed to play a character, while in german, games were often designed that I’m the character. When you open the journey or quest log (I hate that word) then you’ll notice a huge major difference between the two languages. In english it seems to be very normal when you read “Find the key” or “Kill 10 bandits and bring the leader’s head to Sir Radzig”. In german this is a problem. Because when I am the protagonist, who said me I have to find a key? Who said me I have to kill someone and bring someone something? It should called correctly “I must find the key” and “Sir Radzig wants that I kill 10 bandits and bring him their leader’s head”. This reads like I have written my own mementos in my own journal and not simply the computer added it. This is something that Kingdom Come does wrong and this is not immersive. When I just play Henry this feels like there’s a wall between me and Henry. But when I am Henry, this is immersive and the game feels organic, not constructed or generic. 99 % of all games do that wrong, sadly.

in some languages, subject is implied. undoubtedly, German has imperative form. beyond that, some language are more flexible in the use of implied structures. if you think English is bad, you’d soil your German linguistic britches trying to make heads or tails of Korean… though the use of honorifics and humble speech can give linguistic markers/hints

What the hell are you writing? This is ironic again. Let’s be serious, man!
When in english subjects are implied, it is translated wrong to other languages, because “Find the key” is “Finde den Schlüssel” in german and there is no subject implied.

(You) Find the key

Yes, in english. But not in german. In german it sounds like someone says to me what I have to do. Like a hint.

I seriously don’t get this now.
Objective: “Kill 10 bandits and bring the leader’s head to Sir Radzig” sounds the same as “Töte 10 Banditen und bringe den Kopf des Anführers zu Herrn Radzig”. The objectives look just like that in German. Both of these statements are written in imperative.

need much assistance with my German but… guessing Finde and find are cognates. the and den are likely etymological cousins. S tells me noun. guess then Schluessel is key. if all that holds, there’s no explicit subject. therefore, the subject is implied.

is it or should it be the German equivalent of “I must find the key” . not even the slightest bit capable of German to say. in English, not much yield in such hairsplitting because in English, a list of objectives/goals can and is typically articulated as a to do list (do A, do B, etc - imperative) irrespective of must/should/could.

@Endriago
Ja, beide Sätze sind gleich und falsch formuliert, wenn man ein Spiel richtig designen möchte. “Töte 10 Banditen und bringe den Kopf des Anführers zu Herrn Radzig” klingt als würde der Computer mir sagen was ich zu tun habe. “Töte” und “bringe” sind Befehlsformen oder Anweisungen etwas zu tun. Aber eigentlich sollte Henry ja sich selbst Notizen in sein Tagebuch machen (hier auch ist das Wort “Quest-Log” genauso fehl am Platz). Und er würde schreiben “Ich soll A zun, nach B bringen und C finden”. Solche kleinen Dinge sind Hauptverantwortlich für die Immersion eines Spiels. Notizen in Form von Anweisungen durch eine Meta-Ebene bauen dagegen eine Trennwand zwischen mir und Henry und das hindert mich am Eintauchen in ein Spiel, weil es so konstruiert wirkt und nicht wie etwas Organisches, etwas das sich selbst als “nur ein Videospiel” repräsentiert und ich bin nur der Spieler. Ganz schlimm sind auch so Questziele wie “Entkomme aus der Burg”. Das hört sich an als würde mir das Spiel sagen was ich als nächstes tun soll. So designed man kein Spiel professionell. Das ist schlechtes Design.

trans: But Henry should actually take notes in his diary… And he would write “I’m to bring A to B and find C”.

So, German doesn’t employ ‘to do’ lists using imperatives? When making a ‘to do’ list in English, there’s generally little reason to write ‘I’m to bring’ unless there’s potential confusion about the subject (implied subject unclear). Doesn’t matter if a command by someone else (dad said I’m to bring) or personal speculative thought (my sense of things is that I’m to bring). Example:

trans: Quite bad are also quest goals like “Escape from the castle”. That sounds like the game would tell me what to do next. So you do not design a game professionally. That’s bad design.
Think the immersion factor (at least in my muddled native English) doesn’t hinge on ‘Bring’ or ‘I’m to bring.’ A game generated list of objectives/goals in any form or fashion is truly the game telling you, the player, what to do next

Assuming google trans hasn’t messed up the translation, understand (perhaps) where you’re coming from (even if in English to me it’s largely a distinction without a difference). Maybe KCD2 (or RPGs in general) could suppress the auto messages that tell you each of the objectives/goals and instead leave it up to you should write notes for yourself. That would certainly bring a different level of immersion. Would certainly be realistic. In life, computers don’t automatically tell us what to do next (not yet… even Siri etc). The lack of hand holding would absolutely kill some players… make the game way more difficult than they’d prefer. So much so think it’d adversely impact revenue.

You could also see it as a to-do-list. Like Henry wrote commands for himself.
At least the genereal quest entry is written like it is from Henry.

@Endriago do to do lists in German eschew imperatives? seems like the notion or sense of command or order is the immersion breaker. my to do list may be expressed in imperatives (as in the example from Apple above) but i don’t take it as an order/command as much as a next step expressed with some brevity. the gravity (eg mandate vs discretion) is often expressed via special notation (stars next to the task) or separation from mundane to dos (this is done in KCD by way of separating MQ from others)

Maybe on the way to trotsky they get ambushed by bandits and only hand and henry are alive. They are stripped of equitment and become very injured. They maybe escape but have to level up and stuff again.

Bottom line for me is if you don’t start the sequel 5 whole years after the end of the first game then you almost have to give everyone 1400 groeshen every day in the new game you almost definitely need to be a new character. Sir Hans. I was never impressed with his combat skill. He has a lot of growing up to do I mean he’s what 15 in 1403? He’s the perfect character to use in the sequel.