Suggestion on how to improve the next sequel of KCD from a technical point of view

would look much worse

I meant it in terms of graphical features, not technical state.
As I stated I don’t have deeper knowledge of technical side of the engines in question, so I can’t judge.

1 Like

Beautiful looking game!
I found a vid on YT for this game using XBox One and it “looked” great.
But this particular game does not seem like it has a lot to do, except handle graphics.
Wondering if the UR4 engine can also handle the inventory files and clothing changes that are dominant in KCD?
And video playback when Henry changes armor and such?
Maybe someone else can answer these questions?
WHS must have considered what engine to use early in the game’s development.
Maybe one of the developer’s can answer this question?
After reading more of the comments, I realize I need to watch the Documentary Video.
Actually, I don’t think any outsider is qualified to criticize the engine used by WHS, since they were the people who knew what they wanted to do and choose an engine that fit their needs.
Time will tell if their decision was correct, if people are still playing KCD into the future.
Modding should help, once the technical issues are resolved.

Sorry that I didin’t explain my point really good, I’ll try now (I’ve changed opinion).
We all agree that everything looks really cool on KCD when you post screen-shots on social medias with Max Settings and 4K resolution but: do we really need such a high photorealism when the game performs “shit on consoles” and “barely acceptable on good PCs”?.
Am I the only one that hates to reach half of his average fps while entering Rattay or fighting with 20 fps in scenes with “a lot” of NPCs in a small area?
I remember another post always here on this forum that was complaining the bad AI that NPCs has while fighting in big numbers because they act like “idiots” from a military point of view (and having good AI is a heavy CPU task which is not even implemented right now).
And plus we want to reach in the next sequel of KCD this type of fightings with CryENGINE?

I read it all (thank you for proving that there was a big decision behind the engine) and I can’t deny that it was a good decision back then when no one thought that this game would be successful to chose an engine with many things ready to use out of the box.
Now things have changed (after all of the copies that were sold) it is proved that there is a huge interest in games like this from the public.
So I’d suggest to take a lot of time and (yes you guys made me realize UE4 will not be the best for the future) start developing their own engine to handle everything they need, because from looking how KCD "performs right now I don’t believe in miracles for the next sequel(s).
And now the only suggestion that is left from my original post would be to create an engine using Vulkan API as the description explain itself on why it’s the best choice for future:
Vulkan is a new generation graphics and compute API that provides high-efficiency, cross-platform access to modern GPUs used in a wide variety of devices from PCs and consoles to mobile phones and embedded platforms.
Also Vulkan is intended to offer higher performance and more balanced CPU/GPU usage.
P.S. I’d prefer less photorealism and better performance :wink:

Developing their own engine, which would be made specifically for Kingdom Come, would be probably best solution in ideal world, but it would be very risky, expensive and time consuming.
And do we really want to wait another 6 or more years for sequel?

I would not be very hopeful for large battles in sequel, it just doesn’t seems possible on today’s hardware (without some very clever technology which would fake it somehow).
But we know nothing about potential sequel it might be planned for next-gen hardware (And we don’t know how powerful, will next-gen consoles be).

Cryengine V should support Vulkan:
http://docs.cryengine.com/display/CEMANUAL/Vulkan+Support+in+CRYENGINE
I don’t know if Warhorse plans to upgrade Cryengine V, but I guess they can implement Vulkan support in to Cryengine 3 if they would really want to.

But right now, we really don’t have any information about what is the cause of the problems (And I doubt developers will share this kind of information), so we are speculating wildly.

1 Like

In fact Warhorse already developed “sort of” own engine. Sure, it is Cryengine, but they have source code and all neccessary rights, and they modified it. I expect that today in Warhorse there is a few expert engine-programmers, because they had to learn it in order to do all the modifications. Theoretically they can keep what works well, and modify everything else, and it will be better then start a brand new ingine from scratch. There will be a big decission for KCD2 if to change engine or keep modifieing the current. Or maybe it is already decided and we only don’t know about it. But I am sure it needed/will need a long meeting and many headaches.

I think they should stick with pc and forget about consoles.

Evidently the vast majority of problems are the consoles, and reading these forums have convinced me that console players are the most unforgiving entitled people in the world.

Pc gamers know about their rigs and the limitations they have, and are used to turn down (or up) the graphics settings to make a game work. When a game demands too much of your system, it’s more like - “well. my next pc will handle this and then I’ll buy it”.

Many versions of consoles it seems. Some are upgraded. Some aren’t (by choice).
Game company tries to enhance or fix stuff and something else breaks. If they cut down on graphics quality to fix pop in issues - half the console players will start screaming bloody murder. With good rights. The other half will be happy because their game can run again. They are happy. With good rights.

Meanwhile pc players will taunt them by quoting game stats and frame rates. With good rights.

Nah. Drop the boxes and concentrate on what works. Proper computers.

EDIT: forgot to mention, that it would be most fair to drop consoles. Many many many times I’ve had to forego a game beacuse it was produced solely for consoles.
Dropping kc:d for consoles would constitute a fair and long needed revenge.

Explain why you think so

I’ve read the posts on the forums. I read elsewhere as well.
Most notably I read the difference in the phrases useds by posters.

That’s not much of an explanation

Unforgiving? That’s flatly contradicted by the number of players who continue to play even though patch 1.6 resulted in the worst performance to date

Entitled? WH chose the platform. WH issued no disclaimer in its console adverts. And Daniel himself apologized to a console user relative to 1.6 performance

Ever wonder why some of those changes were forced through?

Those changes … what’s the antecedent?

Patch 1.6 is a singular noun. So explain

dude.
I’ve seen some good post by you previously, but this is bull shit. I’m a PS4 player, and I’ve never once acted “unforgiving” or “entitled”.
I’ve had a great experience w/ KC:D, not suffering a fraction of the problems others have apparently had.
There are, without a doubt, countless whiny cry-babies here, but pigeon-holing them to just being console players is a crock of shit.
I’ve seen more than a fair share of PC player pussies crying about the most pointless BS- "Game broken! Immersion ruined! Why don’t my mods work on Patch X.X?!?!?!

2 Likes

I’m not a game developer, nor do I know anything about coding, however i’ve been a gamer for ages and followed many games from the very beginning.

Witcher series is one good example of how to do it, the first game really was a floor mop concerning graphics, however they improved and developed their own engine for the game they make.

Star Citizen, another CE bug fest, they spend millions trying to fix the issues, however nowhere near a solution, it would have been cheaper to write their own engine from the very beginning.

Prey, here you got a game where the CE is more in it’s natural element, still you see the same popping and flaws we see in KCD.

Investing some of the earnings to write a new engine would not be a bad investment, and today the knowledge how to create stunning graphical effects are much higher than 5-8 years ago. CE is a bad choice for big open world games, its just how it is build.

You are right.

I’ll also say to my defense that we have a heat wave going into month number three. My garden is dead. I have severe cracks in the soil around my house. I am extremely concerned about the possibility of cracks in the brick walls. Cracks that the insurance will not cover.

But it is no reason for being impolite as I was.

I profusely apologize to everybody for my bad wording and pidgeon holing.

N.B.
I have no empathy for those complaining about their mods not working after updates.
Mods are the sole responsibility of the creator.

1 Like

Thank you, Sir.
Sorry to hear of your troubles- hope it all gets better soon.
I also apologize for my tone. My only excuse was having a little too much :wine_glass:

1 Like

Well I believe the way to make major improvements to the next game would be to figure out what KCD’s biggest flaws are, take them into account, and build the game around that. For example, moving around in KCD feels clunky. Also, on Xbox one, looking around feels very stiff. It makes you feel as though you can only really look up, down, left, and right. These are just a couple of things they could improve on, obviously there is more.

But just like I said, the game should go in the direction that’s best for it’s gameplay. KCD is a very unique and fun game. The latest, greatest, and most compatible development options might not be what’s best. As far as spreading to all platforms, that is a lot of work. KCD had many bugs from day one, so imagine trying to have enough staff to work on Xbox, Ps4, PC, Mac, Linux, and the like, is a lot on the developers, and a lot out of their pockets. More out of their pockets means less content in the game or less polishing overall.

I believe that if Warhorse decides to make another KCD, they’ll know what to do in their next game to help shut out the bugs quicker and more easily with much less gamebreaking. If they however, use a new engine, it could be just as game breaking. I understand what OP has pointed out, however, experience is key in just about everything. If you know that engine better than UE4, wouldn’t you say it could be tougher to use than to improve on what they already have?

1 Like

Boooooo! Hissssss! Here’s where I throw a rotten tomatoe at you!
Better Duck !

XBox One player. I was very angry after Patch 1.43, and stopped playing for about six weeks.
Then I found they had released 1.5 patch and loaded it.
Except for a few minor glitches, I’m still playing, but I have hesitated to load 1.6 because of the negative feedback on it.
I’ll wait for patch 2.0, and watch the posts before I load any patches.