Sword Scabbards

Agreed, I took one of my Katana’s and put it on my back, can’t un-sheath it. Hollywood BS. For it to work the sword must be shorter than your arm length.

But back to main thread. I certainly expect proper scabbards.

Scabbards are very useful in protecting a sword from rusting or getting damaged. I would agree that it would be wise choice to have scabbards for swords, but also you must take into consideration that fighting swords were not cheap and neither were their scabbards. If you didn’t hold a knights or other soldiers positions that would commission you with a sword you had to buy it yourself. Not a lot of people had the money to front out for a sword and scabbard so some of the people had to wrap their swords in leather or cloth to try and protect the swords. Others that were not even able to afford a sword had to use other means for a weapon.

I hope that will also be a consideration to the devs as they are working out the small details for the game.

Wrapping a sword in oily cloth actually provides better protection against rust than a scabbard. Leaving a sword in a scabbard for a long time would often trap moisture and actually cause rust. the have been some reports of swords rusting shut in there scabbards and the soldiers could not free the blade in time and were killed. I would assume that for storage the oiled cloth would be the most used method.

that sounds extremely contrived. soldiers who could not free blade in time? so they didn’t check before the battle if they can remove the sword? and oily cloth will be useful for attaching to the hip?

more likely to be unable to free it in time for an ambush, i would imagine, hence why it was important to clean blood off your sword after using it. I think for mid to long term storage an oiled cloth is better than a scabbard, although a scabbard is definitely better than open air storage

The problem was that the rust on the sword would cause friction. This is the reason swords were kept clean as a rusty sword would still kill just as well as a clean sword. When water got into a scabbard it was regarded as useless and non functional for this reason. What I meant by oily cloth is if you were to say steal a sword from someone’s house, if he wasn’t using it or it was in storage it would probably be wrapped up in a cloth on the hip you would definitely use a scabbard.

Will there be craftable katanas and such, or is this strictly European only assortments?

I’d say strictly European for the main game, but who knows if some Modder comes up with something fancy like laser swords or asian weapons.

1 Like

Katanas? REALLY!?!?!??

Why not, they are the most perfected weapons ever made, that went into art and philosophy when it was used to bleed an entire country for a millennia.

But you need to be a master in Japanese smithing to create a real katana, you need to know the techniques of smithing Katanas. Therefore I doubt that this knowledge was passed on from Japan to Europe at this time.

And a Japanese told me what made a Katana a real Katana: Hold the sword into a river with the sharp blade pointing upstream. Then take a leave and let it flow into the blade. First the sword should cut the leaf without any additional force by you. And after it’s being cut, both pieces should get together behind the sword and not get parted like it happens with many other swords. That’s the simple way to prove the quality of a Katana.

You people are foolish katana cultists. If that could happen (katana leaf test), it could happen with any sword thin and sharp enough. They certainly are not the most perfect weapon ever made. Their cutting ability is comparable to any saber, and any sword with with a sharp enough blade.

Any sword collector that knows his/her stuff, can tell you that their is no such thing as the perfect sword. It simply comes down to the person using it. I’m not sure where this fanaticism of katanas came from… Soft spine, hard edge? The same cutting potential resides in any curved blade, from a cutlass to khopesh.

In the end, it is personal preference, and the the person wielding it, nothing else. No sword is better simply because of it’s name.

9 Likes

Lawd Jeezus give me strenght… :smiley:

“they are the most perfected weapons ever made”

Someone should tell this fact already to the USAAF, because the fools are using F22 Raptors instead of katanas. They were weapons designed for the needs of the time and location, not to mention the possibilities. A human is a human, and steel is steel (well, you know, let’s not dwell into metallurgy too deep), wherever you go on Earth.

“that went into art”

…just like european (and possibly every other location’s) weapons. From the named viking swords to the flags of nations with the AK-s, the artistic depictions of weapons and people fighting is universal, not restricted to a couple of islands.

“and philosophy”

You might not know about something, it doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

“it was used to bleed an entire country for a millennia.”

One side of the coin is tradition. The other side of the coin is the lack of innovation and progress. The far-east learned really fast that tradition - while it is a respectable virtue - in itself doesn’t provide the keys of survival, when the first western merchants arrived…

I do not want to personally attack you, don’t get me wrong, if you - for any reason - really like those weapons, that’s totally fine, but don’t like them because of serious misconceptions based on the lack of informations.

5 Likes

@PrasCo

“I have absolutely no idea from where this ‘sword-on-the-back’ thing came from…”

Well, a sword on the back simply looks cool. :slight_smile:

Thanks Witcher, Fable, and Dragon age.

Well, there were People who mastered dual wielding with two axes/two swords (Viking berserks) so, there must’ve been one person that also mastered carrying a sword on the back :smiley:

Yeah, they mastered having arms that are 2 meters long.

2 Likes

Anyway, in one of the Videos of KCD they showed someone dual wielding two weapons. Also, you don’t need two metre arms to get the scabbard of your shoulder.

Someone should tell this fact already to the USAAF, because the fools are using F22 Raptors instead of katanas. They were weapons designed for the needs of the time and location, not to mention the possibilities. A human is a human, and steel is steel (well, you know, let’s not dwell into metallurgy too deep), wherever you go on Earth.

I think it was quite obvious that i meant at the time, to say they are the greatest weapon forever is a bit out of context. But your sarcasm isn’t wasted thank you :smile:

…just like european (and possibly every other location’s) weapons. From the named viking swords to the flags of nations with the AK-s, the artistic depictions of weapons and people fighting is universal, not restricted to a couple of islands.

I didn’t say other weapons had no cultural significance, just that my preference in this context would be katana type swords.

One side of the coin is tradition. The other side of the coin is the lack of innovation and progress. The far-east learned really fast that tradition - while it is a respectable virtue - in itself doesn’t provide the keys of survival, when the first western merchants arrived…

this can still be applied today, every nation needs to look to the future to progress, it’s how humanity has been advancing since the dawn of time.

I do not want to personally attack you, don’t get me wrong, if you - for any reason - really like those weapons, that’s totally fine, but don’t like them because of serious misconceptions based on the lack of informations.

I didn’t take it as an attack, more like a tantrum, wrapped up in a satire disguise, because i don’t share your same point of view. And your misconception would be that you understand me and believe that i know nothing of what i speak of, thank you.

As my retort i would say that if i want to experience and expand my knowledge of a true telling of an accurate historical event I’d go read a book, but if i want to play a game like i want with regards to my choices and preferences, like what’s advertised for this game - then I’d play this game. :wink:

what does choice have to do with katanas? do you believe choice when spoken in context of realistic, authentic historic medieval bohemia game also means you can craft ak 47s?

please explain your logic on this. should be interesting