The Reasons for Decline in Difficulty

But that is fundamentally at odds with how real fencing works.

If you are in a high guard I can effectively block it by countercutting from a low one… (or a high one) or masterstrike by cutting from a high one - zornhau masterstrike is just a conventional cut with good footwork and structure so that it binds the opponent’s weapon on the ‘cover’ side of the strong and simultaneously hits the head. … or the Zwerchau which cuts horiztonally around ‘tip behind head’ to bind and cover while striking through to the head (the last strike(s) of the Fehler device).

Any of these cuts can be thrown from any guard, and often the guard selected is an ‘offered’ opening to cause a predictable and defeatable attack into the known ‘shape’.

1 Like

It might not be 100% accurate from a geometry standpoint, but I think that if you don’t add in something oother than just the one-button-parry that we currently have, the “best” method of combat will always be simply staring at your opponenet and parrying whatever he throws at you. Maybe the correct combat vector to block from could flash red or something just as the enemy attacks? Then you would have to both time your parry button press and move to the correct vector in order to parry the attack. Heck, I wouldn’t even mind if there was a “correct” way to block from a given direction that you just had to learn and execute from memory. If the best way to defend against an overhead strike is to parry “down”, then you should require the player to do that, either with a prompt or maybe by just rolling that into combat training.

I just want to make sure that the late-game combat is fun and interesting, and it’s possible that realism might have to be slightly abbreviated to facilitate gameplay. Maybe moving to block in a specific direction doesn’t have to simulate blocking in that specific direction, but just that the player is taking specific action to perform the block/parry? So if I block low to parry a high attack, it doesn’t have to mean that I AM moving my sword low, just that there is an additional required input in order to make the block/parry successful.

1 Like

Any half decent sword of roughly the same type is more or less the same. Sure, small differnces, but not like standard RPG one sword makes 5 points worth of Damage, and another one 5000.

A fine Albion Longsword will greatly injure you, if I were to perform an Oberhau on you. A real long sword made by a more budget czech sword-smith will harm you very much alike. It may not feel quite as nice in the hand, or over time the edge may dull more rapidly thanks to less perfect combination of steel and heat treatment, but it won’t do only a fraction of the damage the other does.

Think about a simple hammer for hammering nails into boards. One might cost 5 Bucks, another 500. That doesn’T mean one is 100 times better at hammering a nail into a board.

As per carrying weight… I recently ‘infiltrated’ the Prebitchslapbitch camp…that is, gearing up, and methodically raping every single arsehat with the wrong colour of clothes, until nobody was breathing, who could give a fuck about me poisoning food and burning arrows.

Once I have minced about 20 people, on my way out, i raided every 3 digit value piece off of any fucker lying in his own gore, and then happily rode home with 3/4 of a ton of loot…

THAT, is a bit hilarious.

weight and bulk, should be a fine way to limit loot. also tweakin what traders are willing to buy what.

Wrong a good swordd and a bad sword would make a world of difference.
Metalurgy is an art and a science.

In the likelyhood of it breaking in combat somewhere down the line. in the speed at which it dulls. At which it rusts etc. etc. etc.

A bad, a mediocre and a good longsword , when facing against flesh and a fancy t-shirt, would do similar damage.

A finely crafted wheellock gun with fine fruit-tree wooden stock, ebony and ivory inlays and a barrel of fine damsk, filed into a twisting pillar with cut and engraved scenes of hunting, animals and forrests is no doubt a better weapon and way more expensive than a cheap matchlock musket with a run of the mill walut stock and a barrel beraly filed and ground after being forged.

That doesn’t mae one deadlier than the other by much, though.

If expensive high quality weapons were so much better than bad ones, how could the russians ever compete with the Mosin rifles against the western amies Mausers etc.?

long term durability and status are what’s most influenced by quality in old weapons, not much, how deadly they really were.

2 Likes

I agree. A sword may be lighter, more flexible, quenched and tempered more precisely for durability. It may be perfectly balanced, and sit well in the hand. But ultimately, you catch a guy in the stomach with the pointy end and the result is pretty much the same. Sure, there could be slight differences (though most differences would be acredited to the blades weight, size of the swing, what part of the sword you hit them with, and sharpness), and being a video game i cant blame them for upscaling the difference, but the differentiation between swords in the final game is too big.

It’s in pounds, not kilograms. So 750 is only 340 kg. So unless you carried 1650+ weight you didn’t actually carry 3/4 if a ton.

still pretty much weight to carry around and surprising how well Henry carries it without a backpack or pockets :wink:

He does it like men in prison carry things. cough cough

1 Like

So he is a big arse after all :smiley:

1 Like

I think next time I have plenty of loot, I’ll save before dropping it all on Rattay market square, and take a picture
XD

1 Like

Best to do it outside Miller Pesheks, since there is a world chest there you can collect for a long them and eventually save and try to fill a barn or fill the house where the beds are.

See how much crap you can pile into one confined location

Someone either didnt or cant read properly…

The point is a slower, more gradual progression to give the game more longevity, not no progression at all, nobodys said that, and its moronic to suggest anyone with half a brain would.

What were talking about is preventing the mid-late game issue of being able to single handedly defeat 12 enemies at once, often without getting hit.

I agree with weapons and have since stopped using OP weapons such as king herod, st george, and stinger. Instead i use a page sword. It has made the game much more enjoyable

I don’t think the problem can be solved by slowing down the player’s progress, although I am not against it, it will only take longer to get to the same “decline in difficulty” point. It is logical that if we want a game that allows us to improve our character but we also want it to still be challenging then the game needs to also to become more difficult as we become better at it.

In fact it is not that the game becomes easier, there is not a decline in the game difficulty as such but an increase in our ability to fight. Henry becomes too difficult for the game to cope with, so I reckon while there is room for tinkering with weapons, armours, perks, etc. the most important thing is to make it so that the game scales in difficulty along with our character.

However given that not all players are equally skilled at fighting or even see it as the main aspect of the game there should also be a number of options to customize the difficulty to suit the different play styles.

1 Like

Yes i think we should look at plate armor and stinger sword as a cheat code

My issue with the world scaling is its totally immersion breaking and it makes character development simply smoke and mirrors.

The game SHOULD get easier as you get better, sure, clip henrys wings to an extent, and hell still be OP, make difficult enemies more difficult and henry becomes less OP, but still OP. If you slow down character advancement, you shouldnt reach that level of OP nearly as quickly, if at all. This maintain immersion and realism, while allowing you to genuinely improve at a satisfying rate, without it becoming so easy that its a fun sponge (unless youre a completionist, which these games are never really intended for).

1 Like

The thing is also, some people do not enjoy spending several real life hours (seemingly) fighting captain Bernard and getting very good at sword fighting. Or realy enjoy strolling pretty much every second morning from break of day till noon through the forrest, slightly hunting for sport on the side, inevitably lvlg up archery on the side.