Types Of Helmets

The crested top better resists crushing and deformation than a purely rounded shape. This is why you will also find a crest on most elbows (couters), knees (poleyns), and breastplates during this time period. Greaves and cuisses (thigh plates) also incorporated this crest…in shallow pieces, it stiffened the plate; on more exaggerated pieces (like the bascinet) it also formed a prow that made it harder to land a blow. In later centuries they took this even further, which is where you’ll see heavily-fluted Gothic armor.

This is also a time period when the pointed (Gothic) arch was very much in vogue, both in architecture as well as armor design. It’s as much a stylistic choice as it is a combat-effectiveness one. In other words, they probably thought it looked cool. :wink:

2 Likes

I know it doesn’t make sense but I still would like a spangenhelm it’s not too much of a far cry off of what’s already in the game I just wish that they didn’t have that ridiculous over accentuated point on the top of the human element it have it spot-on because it had the Norman cone style top or head but it just had a nose guard that went down two bottom of nose to bottom of top lip plus it had that spiffy little crease in it on the nose guard