Weekly Torch - the barrel of questions

So bushes will be a obstacle in the final game? Like this.

If it isn’t a spoiler, what idea for KCD was the best, funniest and/or craziest in your opinion, that you and your team has to make come true for KCD?

7 Likes

Hi Waldkauz, yes the bushes will indeed be obstacles. At least their centers.

As for the funniest idea… it actually came from one of you guys and it was so good that we had to implement it. It’s a special saving token. I don’t wanna spoil it completely, so you’ll have to wait to find out what is :wink:

10 Likes

Great initiative, dear @warhorse team! I’m really looking to get back in touch after the long silence. Way to go! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Weather looks great so far! Is fog planned to be a part of the weather system? Or maybe even dust from the fields/roads? A proper ‘volumetric’ appearing fog could make wonders for setting the atmosphere should the need arise in the story. I don’t know why but having some fake-ish particles in the air often makes the environment in games even more believable (though there are those who hate these effects :slight_smile: ).

5 Likes

In the beta are only some objects interactive.
For example: Some food/coins/dish are only for decoration. It´s not possible to grab/eat them.
Will the finale game have more (maybe all) useable items?
What´s with the performance? Do you have to make compromises with the (interactive) objects?

How will you improve the clothing system with/for collisions? There are many clippings with the layer system (itself) and other objects (like a sword). Is there a solution?

6 Likes

As @Feek already mentioned the weather effects seen already are very good. What about the performance of the engine? The trees sway gently in the wind now already. Would be a real Strom possible? Where the trees are severely bent by the wind back and forth? Or is the cryengine already at its limit?

3 Likes

Hi Feek, thanks, glad you like it.

As for the fog, it’s already in beta. At least the very basic depth based fog. That said our current build uses the volumetric fog and it looks great, but it has some issues so I can’t make a promise it will make it to the final version. My guess is there’s about 80% chance it will work on PC. On consoles we have to take into account the performance impact so it will be clearer after most of the optimizations are done. Luckily most of it is computed off the main thread, so there’s a chance.
Enabling and disabling certain particles is part of the weather system. It might be based on many different factors. It is already tested and we’re ready to create effects like dust lifting from the roads during hot days, water dripping from roofs while it’s raining or leaves falling off the trees when the wind is strong. It’s one of the last layers of polish we want to make.

9 Likes

Hi Blacksmith,

yeah, that’s on our heads. If you see a coin that you can use to pay for stuff, or a piece of bread that you could eat they should be pickable. When we are creating the level however, we’re mostly concerned with looks so it can happen that we put somewhere a non-interactive version of something. Rest assured we will deal with those trolling pieces of geometry. Some very real limits for the number of etities are truly there, but everything will be consistent. (Except maybe couple of quest specific interactions)

Regarding clothes I can’t really tell you anything, because it is between character artists and programmers.

8 Likes

Greetings Urquhart,

the performance is mostly unchanged during different weather conditions. When it starts raining the shaders gets a tad heavier, but that shouldn’t be much of an issue. The amount of tree bending has no effect on the performance. It’s only a matter of the stiffness of that particular tree type and the wind velocity. As it is now, the wind speed spans between 0 and about 16m/s. We’re in the middle of Europe in a country surrounded by mountains, on the other hand the turn of the 14. and 15. century was supposed to have pretty crazy weather, so I might make it a bit more extreme.

9 Likes

No F in way you really used my idea of some thematic tasty beverage as saving token?! If it really is what I think it is, this is my happiest day of my life! :smiley: (or close to top 5 atleast!)

4 Likes

I can neither confirm nor deny this. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Now you can ask questions for our designer Ondřej “Bít’a” Bittner. :slight_smile:

How many percent of quests have you done?

3 Likes

Just a suggestion, wouldn’t it be better to create a new thread for every new “weekly torch” interview and let people comment and ask right below the interviews (and then simply edit the original post to add additional answers)? The way how you do it now is very disordered and confusing and I’m pretty sure a lot of people will miss those interesting interviews because of it. I almost didn’t notice that there is a new one.

I don´t think so, the Weekly torch is ordered by time, so you can read one interview after another and there is even an navigation on top of the thread. Not everyone wants to ask questions, but if you want to read the interviews you will find all of them in the same thread. First the interview, then the answers on the userquestions, then the next interview, and the answers on the userquestions again. In this case we will have 2 threads. If we would start a new thread for every interview, we would have soon a lot of threads and it would be difficult if you want to find the right one again.

1 Like

Writing Quests and Dialogs sounds easier than it probably is. How hard is it for you to put the right amount of humor and surprise in the Quests/Story? Are you more of a romantic or a Humorous or do you have a dark soul? :slight_smile:

PS: Why is your Desk so damn empty and clean? :hushed:

2 Likes

Most random quests are boring(bandit quests, headhunter, hunting).
What will KCD make better?

Has KCD little sidequests which start inconsiderable and turn then into something breathtaking, epic???

2 Likes

@Ondřej Ask yourself a good question and give us the answer. I couldn’t think of any. couldn’t be bothered to try but I really wanted to I swear and as lazy brethren you understand my plight.

2 Likes