Weekly Torch - the barrel of questions

Hello @AdamJ,

Everything about music from the Alpha and Beta sound really great. Will there be authentic pieces of music too? A hand-organ, for example, might have existed in Bohemia 1403.

The music in the game will surely have great significance. Have you ever thought about making a ā€œSettingā€ of how often music is played in the game? Never, rarely, often; ā€¦
What I actually mean by this is how do you never get too much or too little music while playing the game . Sometimes the forest with its noises without music is more intense to enjoy.

By the wayā€¦ What musical instruments do you master?

And now you can ask questions to our Senior Character Artist David ā€žYeenkeā€œ Jankes, thank you:

How many different faces can we expect in the game?
Do you need more models? Will there be another scanning?

Will there be a customization of hair and/or beard of Henry?

I think the mouth with teeth and tongue is the most difficult part of the face (scan). Is this correct?

All NPC have in the beta the same size. Can we expect more variation in the final game?

There is many clipping with the clothing system/hair in the beta. Have you managed to reduced this? :slight_smile:

Will we have hairworks (Nvida) in the game?

Do you hear music at the work? Which? Or is the headphone for checking lipsync of the animation?

WhatĀ“s the reason for the miror on your desk?

1 Like

+1 :smile:

Stylistically, would be nice. Give people the opportunity to have some sort of influence on their Henryā€™s preferred look. Like how CDPR did with Geralt I suppose is the most logical contemporary comparison to make.

2 Likes

MY QNS
(1) What is the poly count on faces of characters?
(2) You have worked on various game engines. How do you like working on character models in CRYENGINE?
(3)What were the main software applications used to create the characters? Have u created sperate tools for character/npc creation in cryengine? Or do u use any third party middleware?
(4) Were there any design challenges, from an artistā€™s perspective, that came from using the layered clothing system and armors?
(5) Can you explain the thought process behind the designs for differentiating noble NPCs, evil NPCs (cumans, bandits), normal folk NPCs and historical figures?
(6) ur favorite JRPG Character in terms of character artistry?
Thank u for taking time in answeringā€¦

4 Likes

Now you can ask questions for our Animator David Sarkisjan. :slight_smile:

How many members has the animation team?

Which cut sceen in the beta have you done? Each?
After you have finished a cut sceen, who evaluates the sceen? Maybe Dana himself?

For human animation you have the scanner, but what do you do with animal animation? Do you watch only videos for inspriation?

Will we have mice in the game? :slight_smile:
The birds in the beta are just fakes. Will we have some closeups,ā€¦ maybe some raptors?

One of the biggest breaks of immersion are gliches. In the beta we saw NPCs sitting on a bench and there swords are going through the wood. Or there hands are going through there clothes. I think it is a difficult task to do animations which fit with such a situation. Do you have a solution?

You animated me to test Life is strange. :wink:
And the game is great! (The first episode is for free).
Are there other games you would recommend everyone to play?

There are tons of SciFi films and Blade Runner is great. But which not so well known are your favorite? Maybe something like Gattaca or Equilibrium?

3 Likes

Personally, my main motivation for playing games these days is primarily to experience a good story, making P&C Adventures and story-driven RPGs my favourite genres. Visuals are secondary to me, so forgive me for jumping at the following statement:

ā€œI believe there is a lot of unexplored territories when it comes to storytelling in games when compared to other works of drama.ā€

Are you satisfied with how this aspect is handled in KC:D?

If you had a say in the writing department, what would you add, change or remove?

4 Likes
  1. Will there be disabled or ill NPCā€™s (fever, limping, hunch, harelip, blind, one-eyed etc.) in the game and if how difficult is it to get some data for the animation, so it looks realistic?

2. Did you have to do some research how a mass was celebrated at 1403? Is it well known or was it partial guessing?

3. Could we expect to see NPCā€™s doing old craftmanship that is forgotten or nearly forgotten?

4. Any specials about the dog animations?

5. Any chance to see hunting animals like a fox taking a chicken?

6. Will there be different personal expressions of emotions? The emotional expression from some people nearly everybody is able to interpret varies to some other people showing only poker faces.

4 Likes

My Qns:
(1) Nowadays, people are utilizing full performance capture (body, face and voice). Are u using any such method now? or planning to do in future Acts?

(2) TomĆ”Å” Plch mentioned about adaptive animations. What is it actually?

(3) How do you test your animations while the game is still in development?

(4) What improvisations do u usually do in making of cutscenes? (in other words, going beyond the storyboard provided) Did u get appreciations for such improvisations? Any instances?

(5) Any funny bug encountered while making animations or cut-scenes?

(6) Which are the recent games u awed for the quality of animations and cutscenes?

(7) Ur favorite buddy whom u usually hangout in workplace?

(8) Any person u envy in KCD for their talent/genius? Who is it?

Thank uā€¦

3 Likes

Now you can as questions to Cinematic Designer Petr ā€œPepeā€ Pekař. :slight_smile:

I am a bit torn when it comes to cutscenes in video games. In the past, when the actual in-game graphics were restricted by technology, a cutscene could be very rewarding for the player indeed, and convey information that could not be easily presented in-engine. In modern games, however, I see less need for cutscenes, and rather have every part of the experience be interactive, especially if it is a first person game like KC:D. So my questions:

• Whatā€™s the purpose of cutscenes in KC:D from a game design perspective?
  • Will cutscenes be reasonably short?
  • Will cutscenes include actions of Henry not controlled by the player? I.e. conversation, etc.?

Another gripe of mine with cutscenes in many games is that they often cannot be paused, and neither be replayed. I know this does not fall under your responsibility, but perhaps youā€™re in the know regardless:

• Will I be able to pause inmidst a cutscene, if important matters (read: my wife) call me away from the PC?
3 Likes

And now it is time to ask questions to our Marketing Manager Josef ā€œPepaā€ VĆ­tek. :slight_smile:

Can we expect new merchandise products in the shop?
Maybe Henrys hand forged ā€œstealthā€ dagger?
The kickstarter stuff, ā€¦ the coins etc?
Will there be (another) contest to win cool stuff?
Can we expect a PS4 or X1 bundled with KCD?
Waiting for a new videoā€¦

2 Likes

And now you can ask question to our Environment Artist Gabrielle ā€œBrieā€ Adams. ItĀ“s fun! :slight_smile:

Your grafics look fantastic! CanĀ“t wait for moreā€¦

I am making LODs (level of detail) <

How many different LOD will we have in the game (PC version)? Any difference to the console version?

Is the bell on the screenshot funktional? Can the player ring the bell?

The trophys on the wall,ā€¦ can the player hunt all of them?

Usually makes no difference as long as I can give them a stupid name
and laugh when npcs have to say it or when I see it written somewhere.<

You canĀ“t rename Henry,ā€¦ are you working on the wrong game? :wink:

What is your favorite current game? Which game (and film) is your all time high?

Prage is a nice city. Do you stay longer, and work onā€¦ KCD2? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! Iā€™m glad you enjoy living in Prague. Also, you are doing great work making the world feel aliveā€¦ I mean deadā€¦ ehā€¦ believable?

I suppose you meant the ŽižkovskĆ½ tunel. Did you know it is an entrance of a small Vault from 1950ā€™s? No water chip or G.E.C.K. thoughā€¦

Does all LOD need new textures?

Do you use programs like Quixel or Substance Painter?

How does the true bacon looks like?

Thank you.

1 Like

My QNS:
(1) How do you continue to grow your passion and skills as an artist?
(2) Is there anything on the horizon, an upcoming trend or technology, youā€™re excited about how it will change the way you create?
(3) How far u used photogrammetry in KCD?
(4) Any Easter Egg u placed already?
(5) How much FPS is increased after applying LODs of objects?
Thank uā€¦

1 Like

If you have any questions to our Senior Technical Designer Petr ā€œBazā€ OndrĆ”Äek, please ask here:

Yo Reeky hows it hanging?

2 Likes