Why can't I persuade guards when my speech and strength levels are above theirs?

So I am currently wanted in Sassau for running over someone with a horse which I had no clue you could do since I always figured horses could not harm people having already played through the game once. So I walk up to a guard to surrender. My speech level is at 19, and my strength level is at 19. Usually theirs will be around 16 at maximum. Even so I cannot persuade them with speech or strength despite the fact that I have a higher speech and strength level. I know you can persuade guards because I have seen it done. Why can’t I do it? I could just go to jail but it is very inconvenient. I know my reputation is going to be screwed but I really don’t care.

It seems there are underlying factors, beyond the numbers that we are given. :confused:

Which makes sense. Just because you have higher speech and combat numbers, if they’ve actually seen you murder someone they’re not just going to back down.

Sure but I saw Burkeblack scare a guard with his strength stat after murdering someone with his mace in public.

Then I take back what I said, apologies! Didn’t think that would be a thing, and it hasn’t been in my experience. Disappointing if so.

It would make sense if you could lie and say they’d attacked you first, or you had that secret task thing, but that’s not an option for the strength persuasion one.

Did he still have his bloody, brain matter-flecked mace in his hand when he talked to the guard? Might have given a boost to his intimidation.

• Henry beats a villager’s face in with a mace, guard steps in.
  • Henry, mace still in his clenched fist: “He fell down the stairs.”
  • The guard is silent a moment. Studying scene before him, he finds himself thinking that the ex-villager’s face looks an awful lot like hash. Considering that the instrument of this transformation is still clenched in Henry’s apparently capable hand, the guard reflects on how much he enjoys his own face not resembling the innards of a meat pie. “Yeah, alright. G-gotta watch those stairs.”
1 Like

If I recall correctly he did. So should I just get my longsword bloody then try talking to the guard? Luckily I saved before hand so I can keep trying.

Worth the experiment. There’s supposed to be a similar intimidation skillcheck during one of the interrogations that you can pass by holding a bloody weapon…if the mechanic works there, it stands to reason that it could work with the guard. Just make sure he’s alone…they’re braver in groups.

Doesn’t this have to do with the Charisma? I was drunk once, and have fully maxed stats, but was in my underwear. The guard wouldnt’ buy what i was selling to matter what i did. Meanwhile if i was in full plate, i could pretty much do whatever i want it seemed like. I robbed someone and guard caught me, but i just said it was a mystery and got off free.

The worse crime, the less chance for success. If you kill someone in public or steal from rich merchant, you will suffer.

i literally did the same shit, i was supposed to follow Bernard during robber baron and i had to serve 10 days in jail and failed the part where you follow him. all because i was going full speed through the city lol. now im pretty sure if u kill people in front of other people your going to jail, no forgiveness. wich is good, thats a lot more realistic.