Why is the Protagonist so ugly?

Sorry, all we regular guys get is to play and watch not-so-regular guys. :smiley:

Seriously, I tried, Lord knows, I tried to understand all those to whom the exact looks of the character is important. Be it woman, movie star or whatever. Yet, I failed miserably. Honestly, I also feel like this is some kind of lack of empathy. I mean, come on now, we aren’t talking about someone with a handicap like a lost leg - we are talking about a guy who didn’t shave?! Really? No. I ju… no.

All this in an RPG. Where you get to edit the stats and you get to take the decisions. And it’s a first person camera game too.

2 Likes

i remember hearing about customization - is that only as far as stats are concerned, or does it extend to facial appearance? If it will be available, it kind of renders all this moot…

Also, @God_Is_777: First-person game.

The face is set, but Dan discussed during E3 that we may have options to change hair styles.

Have you read the story about Hideyoshi Toyotomi? An ugly ass guy, some called him Saru (monkey), who starded as a sandal carrier for his master, made it to an army leader and ended up uniting and ruling the whole Japan?
I agree. We need no prince charming. :wink:
Now if it was manga, the rule is you need to recognize a hero by his siluette. I guess that is not needed here. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Think about it this way. Would you cast actor into the main role, who can’t act? A singer who can’t sing? A writer who can’t write?

Nope. They are choosing a character that will represent the player for a loooong period of time. If voice actor be bad. The whole experience will feel bad. Same with the visual representation. The character they chose as placeholder ins’t a normal joe. He is a bland joe.

How is this relevant? someones skills in acting writing and singing have zero dependance on their physical appearance, Susan Boyle is fairly recent pop culture example of this.

Again has nothing to do with physical appearance. Current voice acting is placeholders in any case.

We are all entitled to our own opinions.

2 Likes

What do we even know about him other than bit of his back story right now?

From what ive read you’re not experienced you’re a black smith not a battle hardened knight with years of combat experience. Maybe he’ll begin to look more like the person you’re describing in future acts.

4 Likes

i like his face and think it’s a good choice. and i’m glad they didn’t go full bioware and make a character that looks like a gq cover model with down syndrome:

2 Likes

Yeh that old adage comes to mind - beauty is in the eye of the beholder :wink:
C.

I wouldn’t take this current character model as sole representation of the final iteration of Henry… As @TobiTobsen and numerous other good folk here have already stated; it’s a place-holder. Mocap, proper lip sync, new voiceovers, and a general polish is all on the KCD development horizon in terms of character modelling and improvement.

So when we get to final release, Henry’s overall look will undoubtedly be more polished and refined… All the while remembering that the guys not some medieval CK model. He’ll be representative of an average male, around the period, within the region, to align with Warhorses commitment to historical accuracy.

Although, we *should (according to Hellboy) be able to customise Henry’s hair and facial hair style in the final version of the game. Which is a nice touch… But this has not been confirmed as 100% certainty.

1 Like

http://kingdomcome.cz/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/chrome-2014-02-18-20-09-13-32.jpg

gotta say, i really like whatever method they used that allowed them to achieve such detail. you can see muscle groups on the jaw. it’s a very interesting face. most protagonist have that smooth cheeks with 5 o clock shadow look with barely any visible lines and hardness to the face.

i think this is perfect. there’s also a look of determination and intelligent in the eyes lacking from so many game characters. look at all the recent ubisoft protagonists if you want a gallery of bland:

5 Likes

Oh god Jason. I almost hate him more than Conner from ac3.

On topic i completely agree with you.

I dont get you.
Why would players of CoD, BF3, Skyrim, LoL or Dota did not want well designed game?

You realise that this has not much to do with games that people play more then it has to do with what age the people are.
CoD, BF3, LoL are all well known for their young playerbase, you cannot expect 12 year old to appreciate historicaly accurate gameplay. (well there are always some exceptions)

I think you should pull your head from your arse.
Maybe then that pile of prejudice that is lodged there will find its way out.

/end of rant

It’s hard to judge something which is going to look very different next year. I can say that everyone in alpha looks like corpse so far. On the other hand, in the the kickstarer gameplay video (https://youtu.be/84AiE46erkk?t=709 - i still like this the best from what we’v seen from KD:C) the noble characters do look interesting and charismatic. It’s very old build and it was build to show the vision for certain elements of the game. I’m optimistic for future characters.

They gotta make Henry great character though. He needs amazing voice and face acting in dialogues (i mean u have charismatic, brute and intelligence talking options, it can’t sound/look like something from Gothic/Risen). If Henry, the normal guy… “normal guy” that solves 3 murder cases, finds the keys of drunk mayor, kills bandits, solves the bandit problem, wins many battles and potentially will be starring in the next 2 installments of the Kindome Come… Henry gotta be interesting and not just a vessle of the main story and side quests - then you can have Henry with 100 different faces.

One more thing. When your village burns to the ground and family is killed, you stop being normal guy. The motivation to not be normal is clearly there.

So lets talk shit about everyone else.

uh? I have no idea what you mean by this.

Sorry that I dont spend every minute of my free time on this forum.

Now, lets stop with this.I should not have written anything, it just got my blood boiling how you judge people by the games they play.

How is this relevant? someones skills in acting writing and singing have zero dependance on their physical appearance, Susan Boyle is fairly recent pop culture example of this.

OK I try again. You wouldn’t HIRE a voice actor WHO is bad at voice acting. Just because the main character is written to have a normal voice. Nope, that’s a terible idea. In the same way, you wouldn’t made a character deliberately drab, bland and uninteresting. Because by a definition main character must not be those things. No matter what background he/she gets.

Saying, character looks bland, because he is a normal joe excuse. Doesn’t work.

I really don’t understand this thread. People must have different standards of beauty than I do. He isn’t the classically handsome archetype but I wouldn’t say he is ugly. He is lot more handsome than lot of men I meet in real life (and actually fits within my standards of physical attractiveness).

Also the current appearance is by no means final.

I have never defended comparisons.

What I defend are each single intelligent gamers who plays any of those games you listed.
Yes the communities of these games tend to be bad. That does not mean that you can put anyone into the same bag just because he/she plays same game as some idiot does.

I have friends who play WoW and are genuinely interested in KDC, my brother (and me) play LoL from time to time and we are both fans.
Jesus, I even enjoy singleplayer CoD, because it is relaxing just go and shoot.

This is last comment on this from my side.

If you spoke of a book or a film, I would agree with you. But we don´t, we are talking about a video game. A RPG. You ARE the main character. You make him what ever you want him to be, characterwise. In this case you have certain limitations because his looks and his background are pre-made but you still are him.
That´s the first point

Second point: it´s a first person game. So you won´t see him most of time

Third: It´s still an alpha, he will be polished while the development of the game

Fourth: They can make a protagonist as ugly as they want if it fits in the atmosphere, hell it would be rather interesting to have a main character who is ugly as f*** if the game actually reacts to it. It´s not that important how a character looks like, but it´s important whether his/hers looks fit in the theme and setting of your game, at least if you have a pre made character, costumizable ones are a completely different story.

And lastly

No you wouldn´t. You would hire a good voice actor who can give you a good but normal voice.

to contribute to the real topic.

I would actually enjoy having an ugly main character. It would even add to the realism, i think.
But ugly in likable way, a simple man of simple people.