World size

Can I confirm the size of the game world? I have seen that it is 16km2 but I was wondering if it was actually 16 kilometres squared. If it’s only 4 km to a side then that’s barely 3 miles. It’s hard to imagine the story being told in such a small area.

Yes, it is 16km², or approximately 3 miles on the side of the map.
But this is not really small, take a look at the ingame map, and take a look around at the hidden area under the clouds, this is the map of the game. It is not the biggest game ever, but it is big enough to tell the story of the game.

I suppose to keep that level of graphical quality something has to give.

It does look extremely good, I just hope that the world will be large enough to do the game justice.

1 Like

Is it possible we will get a new location for every Act?

Yes, thats the plan :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is the same (mapped) size as the Witcher 3 Velen and Novigrad map. (4km x4km give or take a bit), but with less lost to water areas.

While W3 pretended to be a ‘region’ the map in KC:D is modelled fairly closely to 1:1 scale to real world locations, so our hamlets, villages and fortified towns are ‘real’ with ‘real-ish’ distances between them, and the W3 villages and towns were closer in size to hamlets and villages, and were much closer together than real hamlets are to each other and to the nearby towns.

There are still areas within the wood that I have seen images of but haven’t yet found for myself, though I know where at least one of these is, so I will get to it soon… What is inside the fence is a tiny portion of the whole map though so I imagine that searching it systematically (when filled) would take many weeks.

And we’re taking ONLY about Act1! Try to imagine you will get similar sized maps so in the end when KCD will be complete you will get much bigger aea then in W3. Frankly, Skellige and Kaer Morhen are really small compared to Velen…

I didn’t realise that there were going to be several acts, each with their own play area. That makes the prospect far more appealing. I haven’t played much in the way of the Witcher games.

I’m more used to Far Cry.

I’ll be probably disappointed in the end, but I still hope for some pretty urban terrain (sandbox) in one of the future acts… something like Rome or Firenze* in AC series :european_castle: Also siege of Marienburg (1410) would be perfect setting for one of the future acts, when siege mechanics are properly done.

*Just for comparison, I do really wonder, how many km2 actually inner Prague had in these times. Basically The Castle + Lesser Town + Altstadt + Neustadt + Wisegrad with few important neighbouring areas outside (like Sankt Veitsberg).

In 1370 it was a 40,000 population city (region?)

I couldn’t yet identify the extent of the “new town” region, but the old town is around 1km^2 including the moat/walls.

Including the two Castles, you should be able to represent the whole of Prague inside a 4km by 4km map, as with the whole extent of the Act 1 map.

This size of city Old & New town would be 2-3 times that of Novigrad in the Witcher 3 (the built area, not dimension).

Ooh. Just found this while looking for maps of the pre-C20th city boundaries… Not a direct answer, but damned impressive work (both the original lithographer and builder, and the current reproduction in 3d using automated algorithms).

http://dcgi.felk.cvut.cz/en/research/langweil/main

2 Likes

Not really their own,
But with each act the world map will grow.
Plus there might be some maps not directly connected with the main area (e.g. part of Prague etc.)