Worst review of FTA

Has to be this one.

Mack is an older reviewer and has done some hilarious reviews of terrible AAA games in the past. However his latest review of FTA is his worst. He barely mentions any of the dlcs new features, and talks more about the original game! Proof he perhaps has no idea about what a dlc review should be.

He is a self admitted former football hooligan. But don’t let that cloud your judgement of this poor review!

1 Like

This was posted elsewhere, you know

1 Like

It wasn’t posted as a topic under the heading kidda.

Yes. But prefacing with a reviewers bias or failed grasp of concept is important.

Whilst I havent watched that vid… it sounds like the reviewer used the dlc as excuse to revisit the title.

Which is true for many; and why the passions get hot when discussing this new DLC.
It isnt that the DLC bad, its that the total vision is being re-examined (and game experience restarted for the first time for many), and most pro WH/KCD 'heads really wanted this next scrutinisation of the studio to be revealing of a flawless/polished master piece.

We all have different amounts of forgivance or ability to ignore immersion breaking parts.
As paid for DLC, it justifys many reviewers to be critical of the update, as it has to perform to some value metric (many reviewers work this way, factoring actual price).

Had it been free, it would have netted 8s and maybe even a few 9s.
That would sell a lot of new copies of the base game (worth considerably more to the studio- especially factoring future DLCs)
WH should be focused on selling the base game!

That means polish.

So many initial purchases said they would rebuy if cheaper or if the game was better.
If more speak positively about the base game, then DLCs become relevant.

Milking your dedicated fan base only to reward the fence sitters with a full (polished)product for way less cost (when GotY releases), seems backwards a little.

Our payoff for early adoption and theta testing is to be milked at every opportunity and slowly given the (full price) game we bought is highly dubious in an post EA world (electronic arts got a really bad rep for not selling full games whilst charging full game prices, and having DLC on the initial game discs (revealing it was just stuff pulled from the game to net money).
WH had to pull stuff from the game, to make their sales deadline.
Much of that will be reimplemented for free, and many reviewers are giving the title a ‘hall pass’ until the free content and patches roll out.

I bet FtA review scores are heavily based on pricepoint.
Personally Id rather pay twice what FtA costs- so long as I received a well thought out complete module. That was polished and relatively bugfree.

Anyhow, Warhorse makes the bed- we all lie in it.
In time their success/failure is their story to tell.

3 Likes

wonder what would happen if I deleted the DLC now that I did it.
It’s been more of bother for me than an enjoyment.
It screwed up mods that worked under 1.6. now cause lock ups or infinite loading.
Can not do anything in the hamlet unless I go vanilla or else a infinite loading screen or the talk functions gone or locks up the computer… What the heck does a mod that improves bane poison got to do with name tags that let you talk to NPC’s? and yes I want my mods.
Strangely if away from Preb. most will still work.
There is no real reason to go back once I did the job of a money backer.
Marius actually did all the work. Nothing happens after except some inconsequential judging that has no bearing on the hamlet. ( which I can’t do unless I dump mods. just for that and spend then serval minutes getting them back).
Not all needed support functions are there. Getting there is longer than going to the towns without a good clear fairly straight road to it.
I can get better at the big towns.
causes random NPC’s to be in underwear through out the game.
causes weird artifacts like the library monk at the inn at the glade, arrows left in mid air, a mace hovering above a table seat in the preb tavern. with Adam sitting there and it is sticking out of his back. 2 more that I can’t recall exactly.

1 Like

I haven’t had too many technical issues with FTA on PS4, and I’ve actually enjoyed it quite a bit. For $10 US, I think we got the content that was promised —not to mention the huge likelihood of future updates with those hinted “expansions”

that should have been there even at an additional cost if done well.

Remember, this isn’t a traditional DLC. In the release video, WH called FTA an extension to the vanilla game, and what we have now is a solid foundation for them to build from, adding bits of new content throughout the game’s lifespan

1 Like

but not for me. Even w/o mods it’s not enough to use it. I could just as well not DL it and still do more than in the DLC. Also the bugs and the artifacts , including the reported captured cuman where he should not be. Also the lack of anything to do with it after is not good. the lack of all the support facilities to make it a worth while base of operations & the journey to it make it not worth it.
And as an added game made disincentive. If you took the wander perk you a re penalized -90 in you own bed!

Wander perk affecting sleep;
Maybe we need a straw/floor bed for Henry to sleep more soundly… seems logical if he is throwing down all this coin.

Good bed and good shoes are lifestyle choices I live by.
My virtual Henry, cashed up, should be able to build himself a wee cot somewhere ‘to his taste’.

This could easily be fixed.
Maybe we need bed makers in the game- travelling from village to village selling us the straw that Jesus’ slept on (same type, not the actual same straw… too many weird dreams from that pile of… hay).

And Egyptian cotton for the high class bedding :wink:

1 Like

Oh Lord, just another guy with another opinion than you, Kirksty???

Worth a new Thread, isn’t it?!?!

Burn all who say KCD or WH is shit…BURN THEM IN HELL!!!
…and open a new thread every day just to praise WH or to say nobody is allowed to hate WH, GOOD JOB!

5 Likes

I saw this in another thread and while I agree with what the guy said I feel he went about it in the wrong way. Yes it’s a fun little DLC but it really adds nothing of importance to the game. Plus once you’ve completed it there is no reason to keep returning.

Also Mack introduced me to Kingdom Come Deliverance with his review. So ppl saying I hate him or whatever, not true. I just think this is the worst review of FTA.

Maybe others could post similar bad reviews. Do IGN and Gamesnot also review Dlcs like this?

1 Like

I think the review was overly negative about the DLC. I can just say my own opinion on the matter and that is that I like the DLC but I expected more. I still think we should be able to build a bathhouse and a tailors-shop.

But one also has to be realistic and I think the DLC definitely was worth 10€ or whatever I payed for it, it was cheap. Still, there is room for improvements and I would not be surprised if said improvements will be patched into the game at a later date.

But yes, the review was even to my taste overly pessimistic.

1 Like

:+1::thinking:

1 Like

I think of DLC in terms of 3 things:
(1) studio behavior
(2) play content
(3) game framework/mechanic

Regarding (1)… if you expected WH to deliver a DLC that was more polished etc than KCD, you’d be disappointed. yes, WH might’ve introduced new processes etc. but, some of the quirkiness of KCD is also to be found in ashes. some content was just left out due to resourcing and/or technical issues and some detail was just missed (no grindstone at guardhouse and smiths). I think the reviewers are pre-occupied with (1)

Regarding (2)… there’s a ton of thought put into the DLC. you can spend a lot of hours in your new ‘home’. it’s just the depth and breadth of ashes specific activities are limited. that’s not unreasonable for a $10 DLC

Regarding (3)… we got a new mechanic for triggering cityscape/landscape changes (ledger and conversation). we got a new investment mechanic (Pribyslavitz chest). we got more integration between past decisions/behaviors and future interactions (recruitment). we got a new rep mechanic (judgments). we got a more customizeable combat trainer/simulator (combat arena).

if i were a modder, (3) seems to the best thing about ashes. personally, i’d never stop playing KCD if ashes had also introduced the following framework

6 Likes

This ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Frel- well voiced.

If the earlier, now closed, discussion had netted these words- simply put- that one post you just made would be most noteworthy to clarify to me (presently havent seen the new DLC) what was going on.

The way you write that makes the topic accesable to many not understanding the complexity.

Point 1 is the contention.

Written like that; makes me focus on the great stuff FtA brings, and makes me believe it will get the attention also poured into the main product, just that initial jankyness (first impressions) is so shooting ones’ self in the foot.

'Cept I spent the holiday video game budget on danganronpa 1 and 2 (major psn saleprice).
Daughter keeps staying up to play it. Was never a problem with KCD and her…
Ah hindsight

there’s much to appreciate in WH’s effort and there’s much WH could do to improve things and change current (mis)perception. Sometimes around here I feel like these sentiments are mutually exclusive. To me, they aren’t

1 Like