Your Favourite NON-RPG games, and why?

One of my favorite games in the last view years is HOTLINE MIAMI. It’s just the best Indie-Game that I’ve played - untlill now :wink:

Good stuff.

I’m a bit surprised about the complete lack of racing/driving games though. I only listed GRID, but I have owned over 30 different driving games on various platforms over my time gaming. Formula 1, World Rally Championship, hovercars, street racing… I love them all, both simulator and arcade style.

I didn’t get my first shooter till I was 16, and my first RPG was at 18. Growing up as a kid all I ever played was racing and RTS games.

The last of us.

I know it was already named countless times, but I dont care.

Warhorse can learn about the way the game taught us to connect and bond with the characters.
In the last of us the game play itself (my opinion, im entitled) isnt the best, but its the storyline and the characters relationships that kept me coming back for more.

The game play did have some brutal realistic elements to it that made it a lot more immersive for me, which i dont think itll be hard for this game to achieve noted the nature of this game.

I think war horse should try their best to make you really connect with the player.
But does this break immersion? Do people want the player they control to represent themselves? or do they know that they are controlling some one else, and making the best decisions they can for them? I truly do not know.

All i am trying to say, that though a lot of the time it is over looked, i would say that the relationships and personalities that the characters have can make a alright game; a game of the year. Should not be over looked.

Ok I’ll also write about my favorites:
Heroes Of Might and Magic III- Great Climate, One of the best soundtracks ever, and possibility to play with your friend. Great for parties.
Euro Truck Simulator 2- Maybe not the best game, but it can be very relaxing, after hard day in school
Need For Speed Series-Good action, many cool races, chases, and music matching to the situation.
Rachet & Clank- Cool game, many places to discover, great climate, and lots of enemies to kill.
That would be everything.

Here’s a few from me (not in order):

MS Flight Simulator. - Hardcore flight sim, entire world modelled.
Hidden & Dangerous 2 - Brilliantly atmospheric, realistic levels and open/intelligent game-play. Coop.
Vietcong - Coop, deadly, atmospheric.
Mafia 1 & 2 - Atmospheric, wonderfully crafted world, good story.
Total War series - Especially Empire, Napoleon and FotS. Great blend of TBS and RTS, deep, realistic, open-ended gameplay.
Civilization Series - Open-ended game-play, ‘just one more turn’ etc.
Half-Life Series - Immersive, no cutscenes, good art, innovative.
Max Panye Series. - Like Max’s story, satisfying game-play, good art.
Quake 3 - ‘Pure’ FPS. Happy to play against bots on nightmare difficulty as well as MP. Great replay-ability.
Brink - Great art style, slick movement, bots, good concept, replayability.
Portal 1 & 2 - Clever design + unusual, fun mechanics.

For RPGs:

Skyrim - Massive ‘do what you like’ open world. Mods.
Fallout NV - Massive ‘do what you like’ open world. Mods.

Honourable mentions:

Red Orchestra 2 + RS.
GTA 3+
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Series.
The Witcher 2.
Rage.

I have high hopes for XCom (new one), will be playing it soon ;).

Oooh, so I’m not the only person ever who genuinely enjoyed Napoleon? Awesome!

Is it worth buying just for the game against bots?

So many games…so little time!

In no specifc order:

Assassins Creed Series (loved them all with IV being my favorite, 3 my least favorite)
Tomb Raider (totally agree with @Fenixp nice action sequences with just enough story mixed in)
Deus Ex Human Revolution (Awesome!)
The Walking Dead (Telltale episodes, cheesy by some standards but what can I say?)
Alan Wake
Any of the Bioshock series (love the story integration and the whole Little Sister thing)
Borderlands (both are tons of fun)
Fallout New Vegas and Red Dead Redemption (just because) :thumbsup:

As for RPGs, pretty much anything but most especially any Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age (though DA2 didn’t impress me as much as I’d have liked.)

Napoleon - Yeah, Napoleon’s a great game! I only wish it had more scope in terms of the Grand Campaign, but after the many bugs and instability of Empire it was polished and solid as a rock so I shouldn’t complain! It also has the best naval combat in all TW titles IMO.

Have you tried Fall of the Samurai? It’s very good if you prefer gunpowder based TW games as I do.

Brink - In my opinion it’s 100% worth it for just the bots. I have 100 hours in the game according to Steam, all of which are offline! Plenty of people on the Brink forums thought I was somewhat nuts, but there you go ;). There is a SP story, but expect it to feel like a multiplayer experience, i.e. you have cutscenes separating the levels, but that’s it (which IMO is a good thing in this case). As stated though, I can also still play Quake 3 with nightmare bots and have a great time. I kind of view these games as sport or reaction/coordination/skill tests; you can play them time and again and they never get old. I personally thought that the feel of the movement, weapons, map designs and game balance were all spot on with Brink. With the difficulty cranked to max I found the bots a lot of fun; they always did their jobs and objectives were often won or lost within seconds of the timer expiring. Great stuff IMO - But bear in mind I am in the minority with this opinion ;).

I would also say that these types of games should be played with a keyboard and mouse for the best experience as a lot of the satisfaction is in skill play which IMO can’t be achieved with a controller (but I guess you know my opinion on that already!). FYI - I have hundreds of hours with Q3, both against good human opponents and bots and also even completed the game on console with a game-pad (my PC at the time was very out of date, I caved in and bought a PS2 during release week, played it like nuts for a couple of days, decided I definitely was not a console boy and returned the system for a full refund [which I’d checked pre-purchase would be OK to do]. The guy at Game was amazed - “We’ve sold thousands of these and never had one returned because the customer wasn’t satisfied with it - I just can’t believe you brought it back!”).

Sorry for the long story - Brink can be picked up for next to nothing these days; I thoroughly recommend it for bot-only play if you think that games like Q3A can be fun offline (clearly I do ;)).

1 Like

Not quite. I do have Shogun 2, I’m yet to get the DLC tho. I just generally love the Total War series, so getting it is just a matter of time.

I’ve played LOADS of counter-strike, unreal tournament, Quake and just generally MP shooters with bots and I enjoy it immensely - I actually enjoy it more than playing with other players, because I’m weird like that. So I guess Brink will be right up my alley.

In that case I imagine you’ll really dig on Brink for the same reasons I do :).

You should def. give FotS a go. It’s not like DLC but a new game in its own right (in fact is was an ‘expandalone’ product). It has a new map (bigger and much better/more realistic looking) and is IMO vastly superior to Shogun 2 (if you prefer gunpowder of course). It’s certainly closer in gameplay terms to Napoleon rather than Shogun. The unit roster is super diverse and interesting. Plus you can (and IMO, should) continue make great use of traditional units such as samurai and archers even when ‘teched-up,’ meaning the combat is often varied and allows for a lot of creativity. Unfortunately the naval combat isn’t quite up there with Napoleon, but it’s still a fantastic game.

I kind of burnt myself out on gaming right now. Recently, I have been

playing a lot of the older COD games, like COD 2, WAW, etc.

And I have a few favorite over all:

Halo

Tomb Raider

Gears of War

Hyperdimension Neptunia

Project Gotham

Slotozilla

Sonic the Hedgehog

Mario

Crash

Metal gear B.B.

Kerbal Space Program, because I can be the Evil Emperor and throw worthless cannonfodder into whatever diabolical engines of destruction I can dream up, and flog those who survive :slight_smile:

I love that game man hard to find peps online though

Metro I beat that game in one day it’s pretty awesome Love the gas masks fallout has a mod we’re u exprenice somewhat breathing affects are a little off and the masks didn’t get damaged but all in all good mod

Pirates, AoE II

RPG: Birthright: The Gorgon’s Alliance - it had more bugs and glitches than … but enjoyed it nonetheless

Oh, I like playing computer games, I was great fan of them in my teenage years and I still play them time till time, however now that happens not too often because adult life is much busier :stuck_out_tongue:
My the most favourite one is Half Life 2, in my opinion it’s the best games which had been ever made. I played it so many times and I dream about releasing third episode some day. They should end that amazing plot! :slight_smile:
I also like GTA, Hitman and Alien VS Predator series, the last one from them was really good. BloodRayne is my favourite too, in my opinion it’s one of the best ones in case of main female character. Chaser, Thief and Prey are good ones too.
I like some mmorgs too, especially Cabal, Shaiya and World of Warcraft. But I don’t play them often because I don’t like much that donating thing for such types of games.
And I adore virtual gaming, especially and card games, it’s a great fun for me too but I’ve never spent too much money on such games.

Hi love half life played it when I was growing up

1 Like

Battlefield 4! I played it for so long and never felt tired or bored. I still play it and it’s fresh as new. Totally love the game and I don’t think there will be a time when I would stop this, this is not addiction :wink:

Oh yes. Half life series was amazing. The story, the fact that with the expansions (what they called DLC back then and it always delivered a ton of content) you could see the story for different sides (Heck I even liked Blue shift which many people poopooed) and the excellent level design and funny weapons… that was an amazing game.

Any Paradox game with a special mention to Crusader kings 2 and Darkest hour (with TRP mod. Check it out!) and a dishonorable mention to Hearts of iron 4.

Total War games. Own all of them up to warhammer. Medieval 2 for the mods, empire total War for the actual strategic elements in the game (only TW game that has some strategy to it) Napoleon Total War for the multiplayer and a medal to Medieval 1 for the best mechanics of them all. Resurging nations, you always had something wrong happening, never completely secure etc… the game was incredible. And once you got into combat, wow… unit attack and defence value varied with depth of formation, cohesi was an actual thing and disorganised tired units could easily be Insta routed etc. Mind you if you like strategy, all Paradox’s games kick Total War’s ass. No competition there. Total War games are a mess on the strategic front except for empire total War which is the only one that ever made me consider strategic options of actually losing a province in India to keep my hold on South America and the fact that decisions you made 10 turns back could spell disaster for your colonies as you will lack the time to actually move troops across theatres.