A little idea

In one thread I read this:
While I’m sure everything will turn out right I’d strongly suggest to make a sort of blog/news flash post every week or every other week. Just a little “This week/the last two weeks we have been working hard on the AI and it’s coming along nicely. Six new models for axes and two new sword models have been added. We have added a lot of little details in houses such as tools and cuttlery. A lot of bug squashing and optimizations were done.”.
A nice idea, as for me. But what thou, developers, ythinken?

2 Likes

No, this is not very useful. The game development is too complex to make a blog like this. Most of the work can´t be seen this solid as "six new models for axes and two new swords models."
It is not easy to make the game development this visible in a weekly blog. And some parts would also spoil about the game, if it comes to quests or parts of the story.

2 Likes

It is not my idea, anyway.

The idea itself is not bad, but they are reasons why we don´t make a blog like this.

Also, is it true that thou, developers, now have some publisher for console versions?

We are in negotiation with some publisher for all versions. We don´t have the ability to produce disks for the computer version either and we also can´t put the game into stores, we need a partner for retail. Thats why we need a publisher.

So, now the publisher dictates rules. That’s sad.

No, at least not in this questions. We have creative freedom here.

No, I mean, that now this “publisher” can make thee release game when he needs, even if it will be unfinished.

Hi,

oh that sounds not so good. I thought I supported an independent studio. On the other hand I understand that bringing a game physically into the stores is whole different thing. So I am basically fine with negotiating with a publisher.

BUT: I definitely do not support EA or Ubisoft. If you come along with one of these two, we have to talk about my backing ;), because I fear negative “interference” of these two to the game (For example graphic and content downgrade).

Although, I have very high faith in you guys that you find the right business partner to deliver us gamers the best product you can and that you don’t let publishers interfere with the game in a negative way …

back to topic: I am a programmer in my daily job, so I have some insights in program and game development and I have to say that it is virtually impossible to do such a blog with useful content for the masses and of course without spoiling the game and/or disclosing Warhorse IP.

2 Likes

Don´t worry about them! We don´t work together with this guys. :smiley:

We still have our creative freedom about the game, we make the content of the game. We don´t need the publisher to produce the game, we just need him as a partner to sell the game. And this step was planned from the beginning. Nothing to worry about here.

3 Likes

But eek I thynken, that thee are independent studio. Without publisher thee still can release Kingdom Come on Steam and Origin.

Phu … now I am relieved :smiley:
But I already expected that you don’t let others interfere with the game :wink:

BTW: I already played KCD for about 6 hours, and I really like what I see. What is cool, that already the beta comes with nice and interesting quests.
I know this doesn’t fit into the topic, but perhaps can you give me a fast answer: Am I only to dumb to find out the NPC names or are they completely missing in dialogs? So I never know who exactly I am speaking with.

1 Like

But not physically on disks - and since at least I am a backer for some physical version I am fine if they contact a business partner to make this possible :wink:
Call me some sort of old fashioned, but I liked the times back in the 80s and 90s where you bought games in a decent box with some goodies. It was normal back than that at least a comprehensive manual was added (Phu … I think back of MS FS 2000 :wink: ).
So wherever I find a game worthy for buying and/or supporting I usually go for some special, deluxe or whatsoever enhanced edition - not only to get a more complete game experience but also to give a better support to the game developers …

Now I have an idea, to not completely go off topic here :wink: : @warhorse : In the days back you usually got a beautiful world map poster with RPGs. Wouldn’t this be a nice idea for KCD also? :wink:

4 Likes

I can answer that.
The names of NPCs are not visible in the dialog UI.

Only way how to learn who is who is by context.

4 Likes

A ok I understand. Is it planned in the future to write names in the dialog UI or is it generally not planned due to immersive reasons?
But then there should be a dialog option where you can ask NPC after their names. This would be natural, because also in real life you asked one after his name to verify to talk to the right person… this would be a nice addition.

4 Likes

Staying indie means that Warhorse can develop a game without publisher’s pressure.

I honestly dont know.
Only thing I can do is forward this question/idea to responsible authorities.
Which I already did. If I learn something I will let you know.

Hey cool thanks. I think this would add some immersion.

I think it would be realistic for a name to be unknown to you until you do have that context. Then when you put your cursor over them, you can see their name, and in the UI when you have a dialogue.

1 Like