Achievements, trading cards, profile backgrounds

Hey,

Alpha is approaching so obviously we should talk steam and steam accessories. Achievements are obviously popular and personally i love them so i would love to see them come to this game. I also want to get onto the topic of steam trading cards, if you are not aware steam has trading cards and you collect sets of the cards to earn badges to increase steam level and every time you get the set you gain access to steam backgrounds for your account and some emoticons. Id love these to make a return but i must stress that you don’t do it if you believe you have more important things to do and doing this would waste precious time and resource.

Here are some ideas for my achievement wishlist-
Heritage- Finish the Story
Big Spender- Buy all equip-able weapons from the store
The Important Things- Buy all equip-able clothing
The not so important things- Buy all equip-able Armour
The Hunted- Hunt every type of animal
Legacy- Fight in a Battle
Raider- Fight in a castle siege
Psycho- Kill 50 others
Dedication to their king- Play the game for a total of 24 hours
Hat trick- Be under attack from 3 enemies and survive
Thief- Steal a total of 10 items
Criminal- Steal a total of 50 items
Criminal mastermind- Steal a total of 100 items
Jockey- Ride a horse for a total of 10 hours

All of these are subject to change, just some ideas i want to throw around and feel free to make your own achievements and photo shop some profile wallpapers for KCD.

I knew there was a topic about it before:

Maybe you would like to read there first and then respond to that topic? :smiley:

Cheerio,
Yuusou

@Miller09

“Achievements are obviously popular and personally I love them so I would love to see them come to this game.”

Noooo!! :frowning: I don’t want this to be another game of statistics!

@YuusouAmazing

“Maybe you would like to read there first and then respond to that topic?”

He can’t. Only those who have pledged can post in the Gameplay category (even replies). Peasants like us are limited to Story & Setting and Off-topic. :slight_smile:

Dang, yeah didn’t pay attention to it.

I think achievements are a nice thing to have so I hope they will add some to the game.
When Im finished with the Story I want other things to achieve so they would motivate to play further.

I dont have Ideas for achievements atm though

people need achievements to motivate them to play a game.

i think that is what’s wrong with gamers.

i vote no achievements

1 Like

Hear ye, hear ye! :smiley:

Achievements are just a cheap trick designers throw in to make people compulsively play their game on and on, even after the game stopped being fun. It’s about having something to brag with to your friends, who in the meantime probably “wasted” their time doing really "un"important things, like working. :hushed:

John Hopson, Behavioral Game Design (April 27, 2001) - Gamasutra

Ten Years of “Behavioral Game Design” (June 15, 2012) - Gamasutra

Rob Zacny, The Player and the Pusher-Man (June 22, 2010) - The Escapist

I don’t NEED achievements/trophies, but sometimes they get me to check out something or try playing the game in a way I might not have thought of. So, in that sense I LIKE them because they often result in me getting more out of the game than I might have otherwise.

As long as they’re interesting, I’m fine with it. I also don’t mind things that come through basic play, such as things tied to completing parts of a story. You don’t have to do anything special for that.

1 Like

Thats exactly what I meant.
So whats wrong about achievements!? you dont have to get them if you dont want to
But it would be a nice feature many games nowadays have.

Nobody’s forcing anyone to do the optional achievements anyway.

@janfo

“So, what’s wrong about Achievements!?”

People with OCD don’t like having their steps counted. :smiley:

But seriously, why need an Achievement rating for doing something you would probably do anyway in the game? Why would you want a badge for doing a main quest?

Why not? Does it actually harm anyone?

I get a little tired of some gamers who act like their opinion on what should or shouldn’t be in a game or what makes a game good or bad is the only valid one, the only one that matters. There’s more than enough room for gamers with all different kinds of preferences.

Note I’m not singling you out specifically, Don.

1 Like

I just like when something pops up that I’ve achieved and I get some points for it and a percentage of how many achievements I’ve already gotten. And the thing @Flashfire said that you try things that you normally wouldnt try and play the game in a way you would not do without achievements is important to me
When the achievements are well made and fun to do it really adds something to the game

It’s fair. I know I can be a little too insistent at times. It’s just that I personally don’t like Achievements. I don’t see them serve any purpose in the game.

If there’s anything that’s wrong with some gamers, it’s the ones who are overly judgmental about what others like or choose to play and for what reasons.

1 Like

achievements did not exist for the bulk of gaming history. people did fine without them.

but they are here now, i understand. i just don’t see their purpose.

i also believe they operate upon a psychological or even pavlovian principle, so i don’t believe they are real motivation, but more like a cheap psychological trick to exploit people who are not paying attention. in other words, odious to the hobby of gaming.

If they help lead to more people playing and enjoying games as a whole, it’s good for the industry overall. There are worse things to complain about than games incorporating achievements.

I’d say the free-to-play stuff that hamstrings players to the point they feel like they HAVE to spend money just to get anywhere in the game is worse. But, it’s succeeding in a number of ways and the industry is benefiting from it at this point.

Most of the games I play, I don’t really look at the achievement list until I’ve been into the game for a bit. Maybe I’ll see a few things I want to try to do, but if I really like the game I’m going to be a bit of a completionist anyway. If they give me a little “star” for finding all the things, fine. When a random one pops up, maybe I’ll check it out to see exactly what I did to cause it.

cars didnt exist too and people did fine without them but now they are here and people use them to move faster, so thats no argument… And achievements did exist btw since gaming was invented cause you have to have something to achieve. Those are not the kind of achievements we’re talking about though (like steam achievements)

The purpose is to make the gaming experience more fun, challenging and rewarding.
And other things like the ones I wrote in my postings.
I think most gamers like achievements especially in the games they really do enjoy.

sure, they operate on a psychological principle like almost everything else. Every game does… of course your brain will release dopamine, serotonine and other hormones that make you feel happy when you achieve something. But theres nothing bad about it. The only bad thing I see is when companies exploit this fact and develop the games in a way you get addicted to them. But thats not the case here for sure.

I’d be happy to see some achievements, its always fun to have some little challenges to accomplish just for the heck of it.Its a good addition anytime, unlike a side quest or anything like that there’s nothing pressuring you to do it, no feeling you’ll miss out an on a reward, its purely because you feel like it.

I especially love the way they did it in Red Dead Redemption - specifically the Dastardly achievement. You earned it by kidnapping a woman, hogtying her, and then putting her on the rail tracks to let the train hit her. :stuck_out_tongue: dodges misogynist spears

Achievements are good for three reasons; 100%ers, the occasionally funny joke or pun, and giving players inspiration to do crazy shit.

That being said I have no problem with them.

1 Like