Anyone else alittle paranoid of knife attacks?

Out of curiosity how do you view American gun laws i only hear what people from the U.K think? (not trying to start a debate just never heard from someone from outside the U.K about it).

It kinda belongs and fits with the United States, no need to abolish it because of recent events but I wouldnā€™t want US weapon laws where I live.

On a bit of a side note, this thread seems to confirm the stereotype that Americans are a bit more paranoid or wary of strangers. Honestly going from Ohio to Montreal by plane feels like flying to another continent.

Lol is America really that much different from Europe and Canada? (never left the country) Yeah i guess you could call me paranoid but most people i know think im too paranoid and i think they are careless.

Well America has many states and Europe has many countries so I canā€™t tell you either. That said yes there is a difference but then again there are a lot of internal differences in Europe too.

well i dont know way. but when i was young i use to dream i got my throat cut open. im glad its all over:-)

From my point of view, I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea when anyone can buy assault rifles and other full automatic firearms. IMO itā€™s unneccesary and I canā€™t imagine why would anyone actualy carry M4A1 for self-defenseā€¦ Other than that, i think itā€™s ok, although i prefer firearms laws in the Czech Republic. The worst possible solution is definitely complete ban of carrying a gun, because the only result of such laws is that law abiding citizens wonā€™t have a gun, while criminals donā€™t care about laws and they obviously always find a way how to get it. So you basicaly help criminals and people who follow the law are in disadvantage without possiblity of self-defense.

yes it is.
Look at:
How many people you have in prison.
How may people donā€™t have health care.
How many people who are murdered each year.

Very very different from Many European countries.

I live in Denmark.
I have no problem walking home at night. I dontā€™ fear getting robbed or attacked.
If I get sick, I just go to the hospital and get treatment, since we have universal healthcare.
We also have universal free education including at universities hereā€¦

If I die by a non natural cause it will most likely be in an car accident.

But there are places in Europe I would not like to goā€¦

I think some US laws are idiotic and makes no sense to me. Like the ā€œStand you groundā€ laws in some states.
If you can deescalate a situation by walking away, you should always do soā€¦
I also fail to see how putting more guns on the streets or in schools solves anything. (the problem is not unprotected schools but that fact that madmen have access to guns)

Also I believe that the ā€œstateā€ should the the monopoly on violence.
And the European history have been a long ā€œfightā€ for that to happen. From the medieval period where that was really not the caseā€¦
I simply dontā€™ see the danish state as evilā€¦ like many US citizens sea the federal government.
And I trust that the police will get to me within minutes if something did happen.

That said, now that there are so many guns in the USā€¦ I can understand why honest citizens like to be able to own guns too.
And there are surly places in the US where I would not like to go. And if I had to live there, I would like to be armed.

ā€“

1 Like

M4A1s are only carried by the military in America though i think you are thinking of an ar15 which is semi automatic:) Its good to hear that there are Europeans are in favor of guns though our media uses Europe as an example to ban all guns and i think you might be the first European that Iā€™ve talked to that agrees citizens should have guns. Our media also says that Europe banned all types of guns and tries to deny that any country has them in Europe.

I think this sort of reply is not what was asked forā€¦

Well itā€™s a kind of true if they would speak for example just about UK, there you cannot posses any weapon, even pepper spray. I donā€™t envy decent people there, they will be in a lot of trouble very soon, and defenseless.

Now that was totally uncalled for you didnā€™t need to insult me and my country like that. I didnā€™t want this to turn into a debate i was asking an honest question and got a polite answer from Freix. People use guns here for hunting, collecting, self defense, and its very fun to go to a gun range and shoot you should try it sometime. Its also a sport here. My countries population is 60 times the size of yours so it would be weird if we didnā€™t have more murders than you. If you have 300 million people in a country vs 5 million you are going to have more crime period. We also have many different races in a country which can cause crime due to racial tension and such. We also have a big immigration issue so we have millions of illegal immigrants running around our country many of them with criminal records. We have free education here all from k-12. Of the top ten collages in the world 9 of them are in America thats why they arenā€™t free. You think self defense is stupid? Stand your ground means you can use what ever force you need to defend your life i think thats justified. Police in America dont get to you for at least 10-20 minutes you could be dead in that time easily. Im really tired of being treated like shit by Europeans because i live in America. We see the federal government as corrupt because they let 14 million illegal immigrants stay in our country unchecked. We have great health care here and fantastic doctors Because THEY GET PAID A SHIT TON BECAUSE WE ACTUALLY PAY MONEY FOR OUR HEALTH CARE.

again talking about Denmark.

It is not that hard to legally buy Hunting weapons.
It do require you to be an active member of a ā€œguns clubā€ for two years before you can buy a pistol.

But the hole point it that hunting arms are for hunting. And pistols are for target shooting as a sport.
There is no way you can legally carry a gun for self-defense. (beside being a police officer or a soldier on guard duty)

And there is simply no reason for me to own one.
from 2003 - 20011 we had 46 murders a year in average (less then one pr 100.000 person)
96% of them was solved and the murder punished.
Half are done within families or friendsā€¦

Sure we do have some gangs, that sometimes shoot at each other. But it simply donā€™t involve ordinary citizensā€¦ and the police can handle that sort of thing.

Stand your ground means you can use what ever force you need to defend your life i think that justified

Problem is that you can use MORE than neededā€¦ and in a case where running away would have solved the situation with noone getting hurt.

1 Like

Oh so there are some restrictions on firearms that you can buy in the US? I thought that you can buy even full automatic firearms?

Well, iā€™m not an expert on this issue, but there are big differences bewteen countries in Europe and as far as I know, you can own a gun in most european countries, although there are always some legal restrictions. And I think that most europeans arenā€™t exactly against guns, they just donā€™t care. Itā€™s not an issue here.

1 Like

pistols are used in sports yes. but the pistol was made purly for killing people. brevik got all his wepon legal in norway.

You asked

Lol is America really that much different from Europe and Canada? (never left the country) Yeah i guess you could call me paranoid but most people i know think im too paranoid and i think they are careless.

So I told you some areas where thins are very different. And they change very fundamental thing on how we live.
I really donā€™t see any insults anywere. just mention areas where there are a huge differenceā€¦ And it was not meant as an insult.

I have traveled a bit in the US and when we are talking rural communities everyone I talked to was very helpful and nice.

On of my areas of study is the american civil war. And I do know US history., So I understand why the view about the central government is like it isā€¦ that is how the country was build. And I point out that it is simply not the same here in Denmark. (and the same goes the other Scandinavian countries)

You asked what we think.
And I think putting more guns on the street in hands of civilians is the wrong way to go and will only result in more dead people.

I think having a law that allow you to escalate a situation until the point when you feel threatenedā€¦ .and then you can pull a gunā€¦ makes no sense. And if you can solve it by walking/running away you should always do so.

I can also use the needed force to defend my self. But I canā€™t use excessive force. And if I can solve it by running away, I must do so.

But when you look at crime rates, how long it takes police to get to you and the number of guns alreadyā€¦ then I can understand why many US citizens want to own a gun. I would too If I lived in many part of the country.

But you wrote that you felt lucky you live in a place where you can own a gun for self defense.

I feel lucky that I live in a place where I donā€™t need to.

I simply donā€™t even think the US should have fire arms, you never hear anyone actually talking about the time they saved their family with one. its only terrorist attacks and murder.

Because that kind of story is ok so not interesting. Thatā€™s how media (and their readers) works. If you want to read about good things, you need to dig deeper.

3 Likes

I think that is partly due to your confirmation bias and the fact that you donā€™t get tons of reports of people doing just what you said.

Yeah indeed. Good news is more often than not not newsworthy enough.

1 Like

we live in a world of mass propaganda

1 Like