Brigands in Kingdom Come

Do you know the epic story of Folville gang? If not, I’ll tell it. (@SirWarriant, no shitposting and/or trolling, douzo.)
In 1310 John Folville, owner of Ashby-Folville (Lestershire) and Teigh (Rattlend) died. He had seven children: John, Eustace, Laurence, Richard, Robert, Tomas and Walter. John, the oldest of brothers, who inherited Ashby-Folville was law-abiding. But other brothes became brigands. In 19 January 1326 Eustace (who inhereted Teigh) and his brothers led a gang of 50 men to kill old foe of Folvilles, sir Roger de Beler. (They stabbed him and the knife even pierced Baron’s heart).
After that, brothers fled Kingdom of England, but returned after overthrowing of Edward II in September 1326 and acquired a patron in Roger Mortimer. Of course, they started robbing and murdering. (In the end of 1328 the gang took part in suppressing Earl of Lancaster rebellion and pillaged Lester, taking not less that 200 pounds.)
Unsuccessful attempts were taken in 1330 to arrest Eustace in Teigh by Robert Colville (who was later accused of unlawful attack) and by Roger de Wensley, who was also charged with finding Folvilles’ allies, Cotrelles, but when he found them he joined the gang.
In 1331 Folvilles received 20 pounds from Haverholm abbey for burning its rilval’s watermill.
In 14 January 1332 Folvilles together with several other gangs captured royal judge sir Richard Willoughby, robbed him for a 100 pounds and put a huge sum of 1300 marks as a ransom.
After that three most important judges of kingdom were appointed to lead commission to investigate and arrest the gangs. But most important criminals were not called to account.
In 1338 Eustace took part in Richrard III campaign to Netherlands and even was knighted. (Eustace also took part in Battle of Crecy). He died in 1347.
Meanwhile, Richard Folville became leader of the gang. In 1340 in church of Teigh Folvilles were captured by sir Robert Colville and immediately beheaded.
So, do we get to deal with such gangs in Kingdom Come? (Like the one in Beta).

https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder828/500x/56061828/confused-black-girl-like-why-tho.jpg

1 Like

We might see brigands. But I doubt anything like you mentioned.

The only big brigand company will be the one we have in the current beta. Doubt there are any more, unless more such bands are hired by sigismund and the Cumans.

All I have readed about Sigismund seems to prove that he was often at war. So I expect that he had often a empty or nearly empty purse. I bet that was also a reason because he tried to get as much wealth out of Bohemia as possible.

If he would recruit mercenaries, he would try to get reliable ones. I don’t belive that the average brigand is so reliable. If the brigands were former mercenaries turned into brigands because they weren’t paid than they were more reliable than a brigand group of deserters.

Well, what I meant by that was that the one band we know of, they are hired to disrupt the enemy and cause confusion and destroy properties to hurt the purse of the local lord. Which is what they have done. For this, Sigismund would use local bandits. Because why not. Mercenary companies are too expensive and sending Cumans would draw too much attention that they are there.

And it is possible that multiple of those bands or brigands are hired indirectly by sigismund, through the Cumans and another man who is in charge of both groups. Again, like we have in the Beta. The boss of the army we fight (in the top of the ruined church) is probably hired and receives his order from someone in Sigismunds army/council or even Sigismund himself. The Cumans are there to support him.

Let me say some words about Cumans:
Idea of putting Cumans was bad, because by XV century there is no information left about them. But, I guess, developers wanted to have some enemies different from europeans, so they decided to implement Polovstians, who ended up being a mix of XIV-XV century Tatars, Vikings and Indo-Persians. Instead, devs should have assumed presence of some Tatar mercenaries in Sigismund’s army, because there are a lot of sources and information about Tatars’ equipment.

You mean Runt and his group of Bandits. As brigands they would make their living by robbing and plundering. Maybe this group of brigands got some money to threat opponents of Sigismund by sacking the not so protected lands. But there was also the bandit group of Reeky. They seem to be Czech people who will be not as reckless and more cautious than Runts group. It seems to me they where more amateurish thiefs if they see a opportunity. People how became brigands because Sigismunds troops destroyed their homes would find it strange to work for him. Of course it depends about the mixture of such a brigand group. Most likely such a group will compose of Czech people but there could be also deserters from both sides and from mercenaries of different origin.

If I was Sigismund, I would only hire them if I believe at last that they would do or try to do for what reason I hired them. Since brigands are outlaws, they could also take the money and interrupt Sigismunds supply chain and communication lines.

Attention? After the pillage of Silver Skalice don’t you think most Czech peoples aren’t aware what Sigismund is doing?
In my opinion the Cumans are the perfect troops for pillaging Bohemia. They are a mix of light to medium cavalry, so they are mobile. They are used to spend a lot of time in the saddle and are skilled riders. If they don’t run in a ambush, they can decide to fight or to evade a hostile force.

1 Like

Ah, Cumans. They are so ahistorical. But this another topic.

No it is not. We didn´t put them in the game because we wanted to have a different enemy from europeans, but because the cumans were really there, fighting for Sigismund. The Cumans where fleeing from the Mongols lead by Batu Khan. In 1239 King Béla IV of Hungary allowed the Cumans to settle in his Kingdom and Fight for him against the Mongols and working as mercenaries for him, to have better controll about the nobles in his country. The later king Ladislaus IV of Hungary (known as Ladislaus the Cuman), even made the cuman influence in Hungary stronger, and in 1403 this Cuman tribes where still fighting as the personal guards for Sigismund, who was the king of Hungary at this time, and he used them to invade Bohemia. It is not just some idea we made up to have a cool enemy.
But this Cumans were no normads anymore. No specific horsemen. They had their own settlements, their own land and they were protected by the king in Hungary.

Well, Runt was only a small part of the entire group. He still had that bald guy who was in charge.

On your other points, brigands would draw less attention when the local lord is watching for Cumans. The promise of more pay and not being killed by the invading army would be reason enough for most to not betray Sigismund.
And you wouldn’t want to draw too much attention too yoursef for it would betray your current location. Yes people knew of the destruction of Silver Skalice. That doesn’t mean you want to announce your current location or goal to the world.

Sorry I didnt use the quotes, I’m on my phone.

So they wheren’t any longer pastoralists and did’t fight like native of the steppes?

Yes, exactly.

This means: "according to developers’ logic we should see European armor on cumans. In 150 years all armor inheritance of great-great-great-grandfathers should have reposed in graves together with their owners.
And one can clearly see on what most of cumans’ equipment bases on: Golden Horde XIV-XV centuries.

To some extend they still had their cuman culture, they where not fully assimilated at this time yet and they still where able to produce their own armor, like they did before. But in history they probably would look more european than they do in the game, yes. Their appearance is a bit outdated and old fashioned.

And there are also mistakes made with cumans’ equipment.
Detailed explanation:

Unfortuantely I don´t speak any russian :frowning:

I’ll try to translate as fast as possible to english. :slight_smile: :ok_hand:

1 Like

Well yes, but we can´t make any major changes in the game anymore, so I highly doubt that it will influence the release version at all. And some “inaccuracies” of the armor are because of design decisions. Like no belt quivers for example, or less round breastplates for armor because of difficulties with the layering system.

Yeah, we understand, but this guy did a lot of researches about this, so… It’s might help in making some new games or etc… :wink:
P.S Modders can use this for making their immersion mods.

1 Like

So, I guess it’s up to modders to fix cumans now…