Can someone help :)

Hi folks,

since Im no expert in Platemails /armouring I would like to see if this guy is right with his statement that KCD is full of historical inacuracies regarding the armor. I doubt it but he seems to have a point. Feel free to join the discussion.

There are lots of failures, regarding the armour, in the game. Still, right now it is one of the most accurate games you can get. His point about bascinets without aventails is not correct, you can find these helmets also without maille and or padded aventails. Still it would be more correct to attach (maille) aventails to the bascinets as these were the most common version. Donā€™t give a damn about the ā€œoutdated armourā€ he mentions. That 's from the funding trailer fromā€¦ how long has it been? And a mail shirt is still a very good armour. The gameā€™s failures lie somewhere else, for example at one armour which is completely made up and fantasy in design. As well as the outdated visby gloves, the fact that there is only the Churburg CHS18 (that 's the plate cuirass in the game) being found in the game and riveted kettle hats, while these, still existed, but helmets from one piece took over decades ago. And the brigandine you can find is completely false as well. But what do you want to do now? Change every piece there is in the game? I 'd remove the biggest sin, which is the leather - plate - maille construction (awful, I tell you), and replace it by a simple one piece breastplate. If you do so, the game is back on track.

there you go, feel free to post this on YT :wink:

Plate armour
The sabatons need more plates, otherwise you canā€™t walk in these. The visor slits on the houndskull are to big. The cuirass could have more waist. The knees look a bit creepy, but I got no good picture right now. Iā€™d leave them the way they are right now. The plate gauntlets are ok. The lower arms lack in shape, but no one will notice this. The holes for binding the spaulders onto the shoulders are missing.

Maille Shirt
The maille shirt looks good, could have a bit more waist.

Brigandine
The gauntlets are from the 1340s and already 60 years old. But Iā€™d keep them in the game nevertheless as they make a good match with the rest of the splinted / brigandine armour. While the legs and arms are correct here the cuirass (the brigandine itself) is not correct. You can clearly see the plates as well as the rivets. On extant pieces one plate always overlaps multiple other plates to leave no gap. While on this piece, there are gaps between every small plate. This is nonsense, Iā€™d just have to put a lance tip in there and the enemy is done for.

Gambeson
The gambeson is good.

Lamellar
I have no idea about cumans but the construction of the lamellar armour is correct. The shoulder scales could be a bit more narrow as to get more overlapping, but this is nitpicking.

These are the last 3 pieces
If the first one, the leather vest only counts as clothing I can live with that.

The second one is the nonsense I wish to see removed, just wtf is this supposed to be? O_o

The third one is quite fancy, and I 'm not sure if eastern armour was already developed to this point in 1403. But I 'm no expert when it comes to eastern armour, therefore I wonā€™t judge it.

3 Likes

Donā€™t care too much about ā€˜unfashionableā€™ harness.

The brigandine has already been brought up, and at least in part corrected.

Iā€™d welcome more harnessfechten technique, rather than the predominantly blossfechten style in use, if only for hilt weighted weapons such as swords and messers or other long knives. It looks a little weird to see blossfechten being used against full harness with a longsword - it would be almost entirely ineffective and fairly tiring to do compared to the results. While the harnessfechten is more results oriented and uses more grappling/disarm/throws from half swording stances, and the ability of harness to provide near immunity from blows of normal strength that arenā€™t carefully threaded into gaps in the protection.

Actuallyā€¦ this is interesting point. These two pieces which are for some reason also called brigandine in the game are pieces which were approved by a Leader of Historical department in Museum of Tabor.
You can take it up with him :smiley:

Give me his e-mail, NOW! I canā€™t believe someone can be soā€¦
Iā€™ll contact him.

But seriously, this thing makes no sense. No matter how you look at it. There are maille strips sewn onto a leather coat. The armpit is left wide open. If the leather is not treated, it will offer no protection. This is one of the few writings, concerning leather being used as amour, that is actually good.
Maille strips sewn onto clothing can be found. The NĆ¼rnberger Stadtreiter at the end of the 15th century are sometimes depicted with maille strips sewn onto their hosen. A similar image can be found in the Solothurner Fechtbuch which is a fencing manuscript from the early 16th century. (Although it 's just a copy from an earlier piece) However this shows up nearly a hundred years after KC:D.
And no idea what the collar with those little metal disks is supposed to be, but maybe someone has watched to much Braveheart.

Oh oh oh, you have opened the old wounds it seems.

Firstly Iā€™d like to apologize for the claim that the Historian approved of those two armors (especially to the historian). There was a bit of miscommunication in our studio. Please dont think I was deliberately lying to you.

So, how things actually are.
On the turn of the 14 to 15 century it was pretty common to combine different types of armor. Therefore our artists took a liberty of of their own interpretation and created this.
This type of armor was meant to be for some noname bandit. Also this is one of the oldest armors we made for the game.

The good news is that this armor wont be very highly possibly used for the final game.
But in case it will, please be assured that I will be crying myself to sleep that day.

4 Likes

Im sure noone thinks such a think :slight_smile: And the most important thing is that you guys stated to have made a mistake, thats cool and ultra rare in the industry so thumbs up for this !

1 Like

I have always wondered why the developers did not use the high-quality reconstruction the external appearance of the Tatars and Cumans 13-15 century. Using the photo with the modern bugurt brings to big problems.

3 Likes