Combat, Blocking, and Parrying in 0.4

I believe this is the case.
I also got knocked down once, but apparently I wasn’t recording that fight.

Combat in this game is a good step for medieval games. The concept is nice but as already mentioned it has only stances correct from historical fencing. It looks to me as stage fighting. What i miss mostly is counter-cut, it could be initiated same way as blocking when opponent is striking you you could strike into the attack, deflect the blade and hit your opponent. The parry-deflection here is something that is used when enemies are closer to each other. The thing that i dont like mostly is the crossing of swords this is a Hollywood move. Also as sad before the armored combat should be different from non-armored. But i hope this is only due to alfa.

It’s a player who should change the way how they fight against armored oponents. The game already offers various options. I really doubt there will be two different kinds of combat, that doesn’t even make sense.

It seems to me that too many people here forget KC:D is supposed to be a reaslitic game, and not a simulator. It’s obvious that the combat will be far from 100% realistic, Warhorse never claimed it to be so, the usual phrase they use is “as realistic as possible” closely followed by “it needs to be fun”. So the complaints that this or that is not how it works in reality are imo pretty dumb. The combat is more realistic than anything that has been done before, I’m actually really surpised how far they went. But the most important thing is still fun, and that requires elements that are not realistic.

I also don’t agree that directional blocking is a good idea. The combat is already so complicated that adding another mechanic of this sort would imo only cause troubles. I actually like the current system and it’s connection with stamina a lot.

3 Likes

The move at 29 seconds is something you can do, If you parry at the right time while evading back you can recreate that agaisnt them.

I did it once but i am having trouble recreating it.

Many of these things I have managed to do but only on accident.

I haven’t tested yet but this is the answerI got from the team on how to do it.

in the current build does the AI’s stamina alter the effectiveness of combo’s?

No, effectivity of combos not depends on stamina for now…

1 Like

Good too know, I just wanted to know what factors are involved for more accurate testing.

So far combos are the only thing I am having troubles with completing.

We are quite aware of the importance of fun in the mix of all this, and as I said I find the combat system greatly entertaining. What could be done, however, to bring the combat closer to reality are different animations (WH said these were still placeholders), so that the fencing looks less like stage combat slashing widely with your blade, and more historically accurate wristwork above your head.

The issue here might be that since in accurate longsword fencing, your arms are almost always above your head (it works like cover in boxing), this would limit your vision in the game during the combat a great deal. Also what may be difficult to change at this stage of development are the target zones. Having just head as a target zone seems now inconsistent with the combat system as a whole.

Its a shame that WH haven’t invested more into armoured fencing design. Half-swording/wrestling combat could be good fun, especially since they already have the clash of swords-kick-punch etc. mechanism in place. I guess we still have to look for a proper armoured fencing game sometime in the future.

Btw there is a special technique counter strike in Elwin’s AI Moves video (the very first, time 0:07) which is actually a great reproduction of how would you defend in reality (striking from above to the opponents head). All in all, WH did great job in implementing some techniques into the system, be it only as “special moves” rather than normal course of fencing.

Yeah can confirm this works. I am so happy right now!

1 Like

When does the video go up on your account?

Your going to have to make another detailed combat guide! maybe just one for combos. :grin:

Maybe when I find out more combos but currently I only know this additional one.

well maybe @SasekUprchlik could share some other ones here, or you could PM him about them.

I wouldn’t want to impose on him. Perhaps it’s something to learn in the future game?

those types of grappling maneuvers are impossible to do in real time, so they just made them into special moves and combos. the “lock” where you are at each other with swords crossed is essentially just a visual indicator of when you are in range to do the above mentioned moves. and it’s not “hollywood” as someone has said, in order to clinch, you must trap the weapon first.

yeah now so can I!

Thank you @SasekUprchlik

3 Likes

Is there anything useful to do when the opponent is on the ground?

I actually know something about this.

Right now you cannot do anything to the lying opponent. At least not in the arena. (And I don’t think that you can do anything even to cumans, yet). But in the future you should be able to stab the immobile enemy and hopefuly instantly kill him.

@McWonderBeast @Perry and all

Hi, practice, practice and practice. A little help from me - we have six combos already(in final game we will have much more). Viktor Bocan preparing now a big combat guide which contains by the way all of combos.

:horse:

8 Likes