Deliverance very hard on RAM, doesn't use SLI properly

Hello @warhorse,
yesterday I fiddled with KC:Deliverance a little bit, latest 0.4 version.

Other things aside, I am concerned about the lack of resourse management your game has.
I know that it is still an early version, but nonetheless this forum is important for improving not only the gameplay, but also the requirements.

I will report my observations shortly. If someone doesn’t believe me, I can upload screenshots as well, but this can happen when I’m on my home PC 2-3 days from now.

My specs are:
Asrock asrock z77 extreme4 Motherboard
Intel i7 3770 CPU overclocked stable at 4.3 Mhz
Geil 8GB 2400 mhz RAM
GeForce GTX 760 Asus DirectII Cu 2GB overclocked stable to match the secondary card clocks.
GeForce GTX 760 Evga Superclocked 2GB working in SLI. I’ve thermal reasons of putting the faster card secondary, so don’t ask why I did it :smile:

As you can see, I have a very serious gaming rig and I’ve decent knowledge on how to squeeze every last bit of system power. Yet, playing Deliverance stroke me with some awkward facts:

1. I started the game on “very high” settings, everything maxed out, 1920x1080. In the starting location FPS went about 25-50 frames in general, which is OK for gaming as far as my taste goes. But I experienced significant frame drops every few seconds which caused big (unplayable) lag. I thought that 2GB of video memory might not be enough for such large textures, so I figured out that the GPU memory might have a hard time on “very high”.

So I switched everything to “high” settings in-game and lowered the distance render by 30%. After a very LOOOOONG wait time for the game to readjust, I barely noticed any improvement at all.

1. I checked the resourse usage on my system via many third party programs, such as CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Core Temp etc… as well as Windows resourse management. After merely 25-30 minutes of gaming my RAM usage was 99% and 86% of that amount was taken by Deliverance! This was like a punch to me, I played a huge amount of games over the years and never saw one which is soooo RAM demanding. Even Witcher 3 is alergic to RAM compared to Deliverance :open_mouth: I strongly believe that 8GB of RAM should be more than enough to play ANY modern PC game maxed out, at least at 1920x1080.

2. The other issue is with the CPU usage. The same time Deliverance combine sucked 99% of my 8GB ultra fast gaming RAM, the i7 3770 was only at 28-30% load. Yes, the game actually took advantage of ONLY 1/3 of my CPU power at best! A comparison with other modern games (Wither 3, GTA 5) shows CPU usage that goes between 65-95%. I find this lack of processor usage disturbing, cause those additional 40-50% have the power to make the game fly.

3. My last, but not least hardware concern. Deliverance fail to take advantage of my SLI configuration. This is understandable considering its early state and so on. To be honest, there are such a nonsense games (Batman recently) which doesn’t implement SLI at all and even perform worse with it enable. But SLI is very important in modern gaming and missing its benefits is a huge disappoint.

What I mean - in the same time my RAM is at 99% usage and my CPU is at 30% usage, the GPU load on my first ASUS video card is 97-99%. This is absolutely normal and most GPU are intended to be used at 100% load when gaming. But the GPU load on my second EVGA video card is only 4-5%, which means a lot of unused GPU potential. Practically renders the second card useless and SLI not working as it should. Again a comparison with abovementioned modern games shows they take advantage of 95%-100% of GPU power on BOTH cards simultaneously.

This is different for video memory usage. On “high” settings Deliverance consumed 2000+ MB out of my primary ASUS 2GB card and 1950+ MB out of my secondary EVGA card. Althought I am glad that both cards use their memory capacity, I find this maxed memory usage pretty hard considering the engine and I’m sure it caused the framedropping lag.
For comparison I can run GTA V maxed out (advanced graphics aside) and get a stable 40-70 FPS without frame drops with the similar amoung of video memory consumption.

These are my observations and concerns. Devs, I’m sure you will do your best to optimise the game and make full use of every possible system resourse. My post is not a criticism in any way, I just want to help making Kingdom Come better.

Thanks for reading and good luck!

I moved a post to an existing topic: Alpha Performance Thread

This topic is now unlisted. It will no longer be displayed in any topic lists. The only way to access this topic is via direct link.

1 Like

I will be glad if someone from @warhorse confims that he has noticed my concerns.
So that my post doesn’t skip away like a sound in a desert, because my topic was merged into another old post who nobody reads.
Thanks!

Do not worry.
Effects of creating new topic and commenting to existing one are pretty similar. Eitherway the new or existing topic will appear on the top of the topic list.

I moved it only because of reasons of eliminating duplicity.

Anyway at the begining of October new alpha release should be availible. I recommend you to try this again because optimalization should be bit better in the new version.

Then you could create new topic about performance in alpha 0.5

I am closing this topic now.

2 Likes
1 Like

@Jlyga_u_onacHa, I assume the important person who needs to see this information is @anna. So if you tip her name with an @ like I do, she will see it. And now as I have done it, she will see about this thread sooner or later, even if it is hidden.

The question is not about newer or older threads, its about tagging the right person. :slight_smile:

…Topic will still stay closed…

1 Like

I think @Woody should see this.

3 Likes

Hello Jlyga_u_onacHa,

thanks for your comprehensive report. Here are my comments regarding your points:

1. We have not properly tweaked all the params affecting streaming, so the texture streaming pools could be too big on all available configurations. Some parts of the game technology were also not implemented correctly or at all when TA4 was released. E.g. proper character streaming/LODing was missing, so just the clothing system accidentally took around 1.5GB of memory in our full map. I’m not sure how much it was for the clipped TA map, but it should be much better for the next TA.

2. Please note the game window without focus forces the game code to free the CPU usage, so the FPS is just a fraction of what it is during real gameplay. Also if the bottleneck is your GPU, the CPU is waiting most of the time. Anyway, I agree the CPU utilization is currently not our top priority and it will change during the optimization phase of the development (Q1 2016).

3. Our game is not finished, so there is no official SLI profile. What you can do is to rename the game.exe to ryse.exe to force the driver to see our game as Ryse that is using the same engine and therefore the same SLI profile. That solution enabled us to use a SLI machine during the Gamescom 2015 presentation. There was a problem with drivers on Win 7/8.x at that time, so only the first run after the PC restart with the game profile deleted was successfully SLI enhanced. So we were using Win 10 instead. Those drivers were much more stable so just the rename to ryse.exe worked fine. Especially in full screen mode. Try to use the menu option “Show SLI Visual Indicators” in the NVIDIA Control Panel to see the SLI utilization. Large green bar = both GPUs are fully utilized.

Hope it helps,
Woody

4 Likes