GTX 980 Ti, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM. Massive performance drop & stuttering since 0.4. GPU usage does not exceed 45%

Recently I posted a similar topic: Deliverance very hard on RAM, doesn't use SLI properly

Deliverance clearly isn’t optimized in its current state. The devs promised to work hard upon making it better technically wise. So we should wait and see.

Exactly, optimization is something, that is being worked on hard. I am not in position to confirm anything yet, but it should definitely get better.

2 Likes

I honestly wish you could target 60fps for 1080p/high preset on GTX 970 for the final game. Something like Witcher 3.

Optimization might be one of the main improvements that will come with the Beta version. At that point the game might settle with much stable version of CryEngine that will be fully optimized for the purposes of the game.

So I downloaded the 0.5 update and as it stands, performance is just as bad if not worse than 0.4. Just received the e-mail about beta coming out in the next few months, so I think I might as well wait and hope for massive performance improvements. GPU usage is way too low and the constant stuttering even though the game is installed on SSD is starting to get very annoying. How is everyone else’s game performing since downloading 0.5?

GTX 980 Ti
i7 3770k at 4.5Ghz
16GB RAM
Game installed on SSD
Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

@scorpgul Check with GPUz…are all PCI-E Lanes active???

Look here

Hi,
I also have massive issues. even on low i only get 10fps.
Problem is, i dont know why.2 weeks ago i played it on Win7, and i could play it on max settings.
Now i did an upgrade of my system,cpu,board, and win10, clean install.
Every game i own, and these are a lot, no problem at all :smile:
but Kingdom is unplayable.
see my specs below

6700k @ 4.7
gtx 980
16gb ram
win10

@faro06 check the link above…
And post a gpuz screenshot.

Hi,
Pls see below. Settings on High, 10-15fps, and even with settings on low, its the same, no change.

Thank you for the screenshots…

The Problem:
Your GPU (GTX980) is conected to your Mainboard with only one PCI-E lane.

x1 is worng…x16 ist correct

The GPU is more busy to copy data in the DRAM than calculating the Picture…
Well not really, but it’s a huge bottleneck! :wink:

This results in a high Interface and GPU load,

Why are other games running smooth?

This is related to the desing of KCD/CryEngine. This game Transfers a lot of Data “on the fly”…
Other games work differently

Solution / Fix:

You have to reset the Handshake between GPU and Mainboard.

(Example: GPU is with x16 connected)

• Be sure you mounted the GTX980 in a x16 PCI-E Slot on the Mainboard
  • Remove the GTX from the Mainboard and Mount it back in…
1 Like

omg, people need to stop giving silly advices, people with gtx 980 980ti are unlikely to be that stupid with pc related hardware and there is big probability that their complains about low performance is specifically for this game, so I’m highly doubt that the whole “check pcie lanes” thing will fix anything, and if it such the cause really happened then all their games would be affected and they probably wouldn’t post here instead of going to nv forum and the like, and it’s just silly attempt to help really.

I hope I don’t offense anybody.

Well, this Problem is already confirmed by warhorse…so I don’t think it is such as stupid as you said…

[quote=“Woody, post:30, topic:24737, full:true”]
Very good catch @Urquhart ! The number of PCI-E lines could very well be the reason. Our engine transfers a lot back and forth. Other games could have that very different. Even a test of other CryEngine games could be less appropriate than one would think as we are pushing CryE to the limits. Yes, we have to optimize, but as I said I have very similar PC configuration at home except the RAM (that’s obviously not an issue) and the game run smoothly. [/quote] Link:here

so I hope I don’t offense you…

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for your advise. so i remove power, unplug GPU, put back in, and this will reset pci-E lines?
not sure about that, but will try

hm that is interesting but somehow hard to believe even if it came from warhorse itself…

it just doesn’t conform with other tests been done by various tech related sites over the years… neither I recall any developer ever mentioned such a case even on the several latest games that have performance related problems lately (or even since forever for that matter)…

I might even add that such a problem is not encountered with that certain other space game with cryengine, and that game turned cryengine upside down with all their modification and complexity.

eh… I don’t know, that is some weird shit if it turned out to be true.

update : that also doesn’t explain if someone said that before 0.4 they did not have problem with performance and then suddenly they have performance problem…

and actually me too, I’m not satisfied with the performance on my pc which has 5930k 980ti and 16gb ram, this game atm run worse than that space game although I suspect that may have something to do with AI and cpu related optimization because that other game has no AI except in the one mode or so in which I haven’t tried… other thing is I’m playing on 3440x1440 so I expected some low performance already… I’ll have to see how the beta perform to be able to correctly reporting performance problem.

There was really a case where someone said “your game is slow on my machine and others are fast” => we checked PCI-e lines -> GPU was using just one line -> he re-inserted the card properly and FPS went up several times. Don’t know if it further sped up other games though. Regarding the space space game (aka Star Citizen), i’m not sure how many unique textures and objects they are streaming at the same time. Space is usually much less cluttered. We are also did some engine modifications, but the most is still a stock CryEngine. We can’t afford to poach several Crytek programmers like they did and we are not a $100 million project to hire many different people anyway. Yes, our optimization (mainly AI) are virtually nonexistent (as I said earlier), but we now have to be focused on features instead of performance. Please be patient.

3 Likes

oh man, embarrassing it is :frowning:
Unseating really helped. by securing the card by the screws, GPU got lifted out of the seat a tiny bit.
see here, bus load very low, fps on standard high and 1920x1080,±70fps, butter smooth :slightly_smiling:
Good to see that early access games can help troubleshooting system. I mean i play a lot, all the new actual games, and never had a problem,always high fps, thats why i was wondering.
Many thanks for all your help and tips.
[URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-29366310/16x.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://www.pic-upload.de/view-29366316/KING2.jpg.html][/URL]

2 Likes

@faro06 Well done….I wish you a lot of fun with the alpha now……

@napoleonic I think we have got a little misunderstanding here….
Faro06’s Problem was not a bit poor performance. It was an unplayable game.
I absolutely agree with you, the games performance is not good now but it’s playable….

And…Yea I also hope the beta will be better……

1 Like

If you are so sure care to explain why his PCI-E lane was at x1?

I have 5 PCI-E slotes a x1 smaler slot and 4 bigger PCI x16 slotes BUT they ONLY work at x16 if i use a single GPU, if i use Crossfire or SLI then they run at 8X. If i put a pci-e x1 card on a x16 slot it will only run at x1, but usually those cards have smaller connectors so it would be obvious.

Perhaps his motherboard or GPU bugged out on him, even tho he put a x16 card on a x16 slot perhaps some incompatibility or Hardware problem made it go to x1 speed only.

edit: it seams the developer was right has the affected user made the test and it worked, so i hope you have the amiability to admite your error and apologize.

Then why do I still have a low fps in the middle of the forest with no AI around? I sure hope they arent simulating every npc in the world that isn’t being rendered with 100% accuracy. Thought I guess technically that can be considered an optimization, so we’ll see.

Honestly if they did a quick optimization pass now to get us all over at least 30fps i’d be a happy camper. Itll be much easier to test if I’m not constantly getting headaches.

They mentioned in one of the older videos about Alpha that this is indeed the case, they are simulating every NPC in the game world. And they were talking about optimizing this in various ways. So they probably haven’t implemented these optimizations yet. Once these land it should be a major performance boost. It makes sense that they don’t want to do it prematurely before their AI system is finalized.