Hunting and Skinning?

Right, so if you’ve been seeing my other threads you can probably tell I’ve got a bit of an obsession with the outdoors! I’m sorry if I’m beating a dead horse with this but…

In a lot of games (Skyrim, RDR, Assassins Creed 3 and 4, Farcry 2 and 3 ect…) They have a very basic hunting mechanic and a simple skinning animation. Now we all know how much you guys love to go in-depth with your mechanics (such as alchemy ect…) So my question is are there any plans to have an in-depth skinning mechanic? Do you think this would be too gruesome? A second part of the question, hide tanning for crafting? Using animal bones in crafting/alchemy?

Community is this something you would be interested in? Or do you think it would be a bit too much?

All the best!
A.Locke

5 Likes

And what should be next? Pee simulator?

You need to go outside. Don’t search real life stuff in video games. Yes, this will be a game, not a hunting/placeyourfavoritethingtodo simulator.

2 Likes

Hope I have understood the translation correctly …

Think, 50/50% if you can trade with the manufactured products and so comes to money, it could be exciting (for a short time). Then it should do but a helper NPC on.

How else would we create weapon handles, bind plate armour and make leather armour, we should be able to like skin a animal by clicking on it when it’s dead, the hide would go to our inventory and we fan it and then we can craft it into leather items like strips or keep it as it is to make armour.

1 Like

It may just not degenerate into endless micromanagement, but Some like also this…

are you serious?!

I think it is a very good Idea and I also think Warhorse is planning something like that. I just played Far Cry 3 and I really liked hunting cause you needed to hunt and skin (even with animation) the animals to build better equipment so you could carry more ammunition/weapons etc. And collecting plants was also a big part in Far Cry cause you needed them to make medicine for example.

Since we are able to hunt in KCD, the animals have to be useful for the player. Otherwise it wouldnt make sense
So we should be able to 1. eat parts of the animal and 2. use its skin/bones/fur etc.
Or why should we be able to hunt @Dekssan?

And since games like Far Cry or Assasins Creed and Skyrim have hunting mechanics KCD just has to have them imo.

1 Like

I think that was a bit uncalled for but that aside. I do believe there is some intent to have an in-depth mechanic as they already have similar mechanics such as cooking and alchemy.

Whilst I did it only grudgingly. It was a boring, forced, mechanic designed to stretch out game play. Much like the flag/whatever collect-a-thon nonsense in the Assasin’s Creed games it felt like I was playing Sonic the Hedgehog for “Manly Men”.

Amazing how personal experiences differ… right?

That being said, if it was a fun, risky, feature with meaningful rewards… sure. Why not?

I kinda agree, I liked it but it was not a highlight of course. You could’ve done the mechanics better I guess.
But what I liked about it was that you needed to hunt to build better equipment and that the animals attacked you and also attacked other animals (leopard against tapir or something like that). So they kinda had their own live like Warhorse also plans with KCD.
So what I want to say is it has to be useful to hunt and collect herbs in the game. And to cook of course. I never cooked in Skyrim for example although it was possible and ingredients lay everywhere but it had not much sense cause the food wasnt much better than other things you could simply find.
It has to be necessary or at least better to eat cooked food etc. so you actually take the effort as a player to hunt and collect herbs. But then it also has to be fun and not feel forced like you said.
Its hard to find the right way there I guess. But I hope we will get to test some things out in the alpha concerning this topic so we can find a pleasant solution with warhorse together

1 Like

I know right? If skinning had any sense in an RPG, it would have been done a million times already. Which it hasn’t. Not even games definitely lower in the “realism” scale compared to KDC, like WoW. Nope, no sir.

2 Likes

I agree with what you mentioned, it would be pointless hunting of animals and unable to do anything but eat

2 Likes

Will see the reaction to the alpha. I personally would rather go eat while talking with guests and news … learn to cook yourself in an emergency, if the money is missing. Experience shows that too high a degree of micromanagement quickly to boredom - just as long silences in which nothing happens. It must serve an identifiable purpose and are not routine.
Think this was the concern of Dekssan too.

i think better idea is to have you bring your quarry back to town for process into meat and useable materials by professional tradesmen. butcher, tanner, etc.

for small aimals like rabbit, maybe you can do your own work. but certainly larger prey such as boar, it is not your vocation.

5 Likes

To be honest i think it would add realism to this realistic based game *like red dead redemption skinning not that farcry 3 hides that look like guts", although back then only lords could hunt so it should be a criminal offense in game to hunt in the lords forests unless you randomly become a noble or something, so it should have a risk/reward thing with it, maybe like… some unhonorable buyers would pay alot for the skins and hides to craft armour or weapon shealths, but people loyal to the king might report you if you show them a deer hide. This would make it very immersive imo

1 Like

Just a tech note - people wasn’t loyal to the king (directly). They was loyal to their land lords, vassals of the king - nobles. You can imagine them like lower and middle management in a company while king is a owner.

2 Likes

Right you are i completely forgot about that, kings rather not handle the affairs of peasants, that’s where the landlords came in to whip them in place and collect tax’s lol

Although they have said there will be hunting. But you raise a good point…Maybe you could obtain some sort of writ or permission?

skinning and butchering isn’t that difficult a process if its something you have been raised with, speaking from experience. so those portions should definitely be done by the player, and i would appreciate a mini game for it, since most games take the press a button and suddenly you get animal bits approach. that being said, the hardest part of tanning is the time consumption, so it might make more sense to sell hides to tanners to get money to buy leather. as far as obtaining permission, if you are one of your lords soldiers, it might be seen as provisioning instead of poaching

1 Like

As a soldier you are not of noble blood but a servant with a sword basically, and in history, all the meat went to the nobles, deer, boar, hares and rabbits ect, Mainly used in there big feasts that the lords loved so much. If your character gets Knighted from blacksmith son to noble, hunting wouldn’t be a problem with the law. but then again im not entirely sure and maybe the Dev’s got something planned like, you saved the kings life and he allows you to hunt or something, But that wont really stop me from Hunting with my in game Hound :smiley: and if anyone trys to stop me! They better be good at combat :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

or arrow proof, and i doubt anyone is wearing their plate armour for a romp in the woods