Kingdom come maybe held back on pc for the console versions

anyone read this article? :frowning:

3 Likes

I hadn’t till you posted it.

Honestly I have been holding my Breath on the summer release. I hope we get it sooner then later but I understand the WH has some hoops to jump through when it comes down to distribution.

Oh yeah the good thing in this article

4 Likes

The situation here is somehow more complicated. We want to polish the game more and we don´t want to release a pile of rubbish. But we don´t need the whole team to do that. So while some can start to port the game for consoles, which have their own preferences, we can polish the game more for the PC gamers.
Yes, the game will probably published later, but we will not put it into some cupboard in the corner, we will work on it the whole time. So, it does have some advantages.

10 Likes

No offense but you guys need to sort out this PR nightmare , people who read that article will not be happy to learn its being pushed back because of a console release. You can try to say it’s for polish, but tbh you’ve just pissed off the majority of your backers, with one simple statement.
I can’t wait for this game, but we PC gamers have alpha tested and will beta test for you, and then we learn that instead of everyone in your team polishing the game, only some of them will do that so you can concentrate on consoles?
That’s not the way to deal with a community that has funded you, and found bugs for you.
My two cents.

4 Likes

I’m not pissed off. Warhorse is new at the market and they have to prove that investing into them isn’t a waste of money.
Yes, we backers also funded some money but it’s only a minor sum compared to the money they got from their main investor.
Ok, the community helped Warhorse to find some bugs and maybe improved with a few ideas the final game.
But the development of the game costs more than Warhorse got from the backers.
KCD has to be also a economic success, otherwise the investor will be unhappy and there will never be a act 2. and 3…
Warhorse needs a publisher for this economic success. If the best publisher only demands that the console versions of the game should be released at the same date as the PC-version, I have no problem with this. Better a later release as the death of the whole concept.

10 Likes

With all due respect,
I’ve never believed you would actually release the game in Summer 2016. It is so unfinished, frankly speaking, especially with the optimization. On several occasions I’ve stated a Christmas 2016 release at earliest or even a Summer 2017 for a finished, polished product.

Yet it is still disturbing to see WH not keeping their words. I prefer to have a finished game later than a buggy release earlier, but these deadlines were set by WH team and they should think deep before announcing such things.

And if there is a truth in that statement: ‘Kingdom Come may be held back on PC for simultaneous console release’, it is a shame… The most of the Kickstarter campaign was marketed as a true PC hardcore 1st person RPG and many people, including me, backed the game because of these promises. I don’t mind a console release, but to hold on the PC version because of consoles is something that I would never accept! Why not release a digital only version of Deliverance for PC whenever ready (Steam, GOG) and then proceed with these console versions for physical multi release on all platforms? This is the only right thing to do for us PC games (your backers) and in the same time may applease this mysterious distributor who demands a simultaneous physical release.

Still, I wish WH luck in creating the game they promised and success in selling it.

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. Although I guess it’s nice they are so super honest, it’s total madness to publicly admit that the release of PC version will be postponed because of consoles. I mean, what the fuck? There isn’t many things that will get you more hated by PC gamers than doing concessions because of consoles. It was totaly unnecessary to say that publicly.

3 Likes

No, Kingdom Come was planed as a game for PC, PS4 and XBoxOne from the beginning. Yes, it is developed on PC first, and that what is the case, that is why you are able to play the Alpha right now on PC but not on consoles.

The truth is, there is nothing fixed about anything yet. We are just thinking about options here, and releasing the game at the same time with consoles does have some advantages for PC gamers too, as we would have more time to polish it.

6 Likes

If I remebre this correctly game mechanics were already finished in december. Now is the game in state, when those game mechanics are being polished, game is being optimized and content is being added. If they will unite release on all platforms, then it will be good for everyone, because consoles need really good optimalization and thanks to this pc version will run much smoother too and also there will be less bugs. Another advantage is for those of you who wants czech voiceovers. In the past Dan V. said that czech voiceover is confirmed, but he also said that it’s really time consuming so it might happend that it will be added later to the game. If warhorse will have more time than there is higher chance that you will be able to play it with czech voices since the first day.

1 Like

Thanks for answering!

To be honest, it was promised for PC and eventually for PS4 and Xbox1. But that’s not what’s important here.

In my opinion you should release it digitally for PC as soon as you are ready to call the game finished, and then work on console variants. When and if you improve something regarding the digital PC version, you can just release a patch for it, the same way you do now with Alpha. So us PC gamers will still have the advantage of your latest polishes and bug fixes.

And when you are finally ready with these console versions, you can bring them together with the polished PC version to a multi disk physical release. Why decline the PC gamers happiness because of consoles, that’s the main question here?

I’m glad that WH still hasn’t made up their mind about the matter. If you are really ready by the end of the summer, it would be most appropriate to just update the game on Steam. Of course, no game could even be truly “ready” as there are always bugs and such, but this shouldn’t stop or discourage you from releasing it digitally for PC. As far as I can see, you did a great job with the upcoming Beta, so thumbs up!

As I said above, whether I’m sceptical about the release date, I wish you best of luck in finishing the game!

1 Like

You must understand, that this is usually very uneconomic way of releasing, and it usually hurts overall sales. Main reason is that you basically need two rounds of promos and marketing, instead of one full round. Because when you release the game on PC, you want to let people know, so they can go and buy it right? So you spend money and tell the world your game is here. Only to realize, that 2/3 of your audience can´t buy the game yet, so they leave until console versions are ready.
3-5 months later, you release console versions, and you again need to tell the world. 1/3 of your audience now doesn´t care as they have it on PC, another 1/3 isn´t interested anymore (saw it on friends PC, already know the story, seen all the playthrough, “wasn´t it out already?” syndrome), so you are spending rest of your now already halved marketing budget for only 1/3 of your theoretical audience, the rest doesn´t care anymore. That is already loosing 1/3 of your potential customers.
But thats not all, because you had to split your marketing into two smaller rounds instead of one massive round, your reach is also much more limited. So the number of customers will be in the end even smaller.

It is really important to have synchronized release on all platforms, if its not like one year apart. Postponing game for only few months is negligible, it can be even good for everybody: Game will be more polished, hype level will gradually increase for these few months (witcher 3 case), new features or content can be added, with fuctioning core you can even start working with modders, so there can be mods at launch etc…

And remember: common gamer barely know about this game still or barely cares until its finished. Its important not to fall into trap of “vocal minority” on these forums, as only very small part of potential playerbase interacts in this manner, most players just won´t care until they see huge titles on every web, on every youtube channel and in every magazine “KCD FINALLY RELEASED ON ALL PLATFORMS”

If you don´t believe me, just look at the new tomb raider. It was exclusive on Xbox (and it came in really shitty time, overshadowed by bigger games), so there was few promos for xbox versions. When I saw it is Xbox exclusive I just turned away. Few months later, it released on PC, I once noticed about one or two small promos on same websites and almost missed it. Most of my friends doesn´t even know its out already, or don´t care anymore.
And results are quite clear, its sales were nothing spectacular for such a great game.

11 Likes

Chápu to tedy přesně, že chcete, aby všechny platformy Xbox0, PS4 a PC vyšly zhruba stejně. Díky

I can see your reasons and I can understand them, but frankly they are of small stature in my opinion. If there is a desire, then there is a way - this is my motto.

And don’t you think that because of so called “vocal minority” which backed out the game in Kickstarter, these “casual” gamers you speak of so highly will be able to play Deliverance for real? If not for us, the PC backers, things might have gone horribly wrong in the very beginning, long before WH could start to think of sales and marketing. I know there is a rich private investor and I supposedly know who he is, but that doesn’t change the fact we helped when help was needed.

And one more thing - I do not agree that any already released game for particular platform won’t have a success when released months (if not years) later for another platform, quite the contrary. For example, remember Mass Effect, Dark Souls and such… In reality, a platform exclusivity only creates hype, it doesn’t diminish it.

Better to say, if Rock$tar announce Red Dead Redemption for PC I would buy it asap, nonetheless that I’ve already played the game hundreds of hours on Xbox, reluctantly of course, because I don’t like consoles, nor joysticks, but just for the sake of this awesome game. And despite that RDR came out 6 years ago and since ages everyone knows everything about it, I will still buy it for PC right now if it were available. So, I believe in my arguments:

Share Deliverance with us for PC as soon as it is ready and patch it as much as you want later on. :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

I really though its so dumb to say PC will come first and then consoles. No reason to say it and set up expectations for PC players (exclusive, consoles getting it late (yay) and so on…) Also you slide console players to the side making that market secondary (iv seen console player asked “when?” asnwerd by “after PC version release”). Add another nightmare to it, now it’s “we are holding release of PC version back because consoles”…
Why say any of it? Indie and amateurs at PR. The only hope is that you can actually make a game, everything else is a joke.
“we are just thinking about options here” - be great to not release these thoughts to the clickbait, console/pc exlusive war and drama queen riddled world.

Czech jibberish of explanation incoming. You can ignore this post:

Ahoj @Pavel1, Chápeš to skoro dobře.
Jedná se o to že se jenom zvažuje možnost vydání PC verze s konzolovou. Protože obě možnosti (vydání s konzolemi nebo dříve) má svoje výhody a nevýhody.
Nic není ještě rozhodnuto.

1 Like

I don’t agree with that att all…When we backed this game, then we knew that it will be a PC, PS4 and Xbox One version as they told from day 1, so that’s a part off the team have to work on consolle version is no surprise to us. And some backers backd this game because they want the game on PS4 or Xbox One, so how can we be mad about that they have to spend time to develop the console version?

I will not like if they delay the PC version if it’s done just to get it out the sametime as console, but they have there reasons ofc and I simply think that we can’t be angry or anything about they working on a console version when we knew that would happend sice day 1…

7 Likes

Not to completely destroy your argument, but PC sales or rise of the tomb raider have already tripled what Xbox got. So just because your friends don’t know its been released just shows how ignorant they are.

1 Like

Well your argument is also not valid. Information that microsoft has sold over one milion copies came out during christmas. Since than we dont know nothing about the sales on Xbox one. You cant forget that when tom raider was released new Halo, Fallout (just for the record: until dcember 12 milion copies of fallout4 were sold and only 1 milion from that was sold on pc by that time), Just Cause… were also released. PC version was release recently and situation is completely differne. In january there were no big AAA games and players wanted to play something so they bougt tombraider, but this lack of games in january was same for Xbox One so it could easily happend that Xbox one has also 3 milions or more right now.

I don’t think the game should be released in Summer unless it is ready for launch. If there is still polishing that needs to be done, then it is better to delay the game and release it as soon as it has reached a satisfying state.

Unfortunately, whenever it is announced that a PC version is pushed back to have a simultaneous release with the console versions, developers and/ or publishers claim that this would also benefit the PC in some way, for example in terms of polishing, it always turned out to be wrong.

1 Like

Honestly, in the main website of this page it states “This game is being developed without the aid of traditional publishers, so it relies on your support and funding from private investors.”. Why suddenly this need of publishers? Weren’t we backers not allowing precisely not having to fallback into this?