Map Size - Request for clarification

On Youtube and in the FAQ http://pledge.kingdomcomerpg.com/pages/faq you refer to a map 9 square km.

Assuming this is a square map, this would only represent a map 3km by 3km.

I was under the impression that it was supposed to be 9 km square, which is 9km by 9km, or 81 square km.

Can you clarify and correct where necessary. It seems a trivial difference, but it is a quite specific meaning and has significant effects when mis-stated.

It was ment as a 3x3 map, but it is bigger then Red Dead Redeption, believe me.

This blog post from Dan and this thread should answer many questions about the map size and what it mean for the game:

http://warhorsestudios.cz/index.php?page=blog&entry=blog_011

1 Like

I think too that 3x3 km is small, you could see the whole map if you stand in one corner. I’m also not sure how will we have a big battle, but I was always bad at judging distances so I hope it will be fine.

Ok, I’d suggest that 3kmx3km or 3x3km is far less ambiguous than 9 square km, particularly when there is a multi-language audience.

(Or Use 9 km2)

3km does seem a little cramped, but then I am used to walking 20-50km in a day, or cycling up to 230km… However a ‘full-scale’ world, and rich details is more important than sheer size…

20km a day? Thats what I do. By car.

1 Like

Sure, 20km takes a little under 3 hours, 50km around 7.5 hours, over footpaths and green lanes, with significant elevation (water cut plateaux with 200m elevation differences, crossed repeatedly (at least out and back, sometimes multiple plateaux). Farmers would bring their produce to markets along identical routes, over these sorts of distances on market days, many of the better routes are old drover’s roads.

I’ve looked at the region with a 3km ‘box’ drawn loosely in the vicinity of Rataje, and it looks a lot more restricted than the original map video seemed to indicate. I’d still estimate a 9km box to more closely represent what we were being shown.

If the 3km size is accurate, then the 1.5km ride quoted to the initial stable location is a very significant fraction of the whole map traversed… is that really the case?

(Edited ~ had wrong Rataje selected - still looking at the new area, but my feeling that the map is larger than 3km per side remains…)

In Google Earth/Global Mapper, Rataje to Uzice is being indicated as “around” 6km as a route. Allowing for around 60% extra length for detours, and losing “around 25%” for acknowledged compression of the ‘dead’ areas of the map… gives an estimated as the crow flies 2.8km between these points - from the map shown on screen in the “Our World” video, these seem to be not too far apart, which makes me still think that the size was at that time supposed to be around 9km x 9km or 81 km2

That is acctually pretty big. While i agree i would like a larger map, sometimes you lose out of things with too big of a map. I shall wait and see personally.

Concerns about map size are unnecessary. Numbers won’t tell you much. If the map is about the same size as Skyrim or Oblivion, it’s insane to demand a bigger map…and keep in mind we are talking about the first act only…

1 Like

The map is quite big… Lets wait for the alpha :slight_smile:

1 Like