New interview with Daniel Vávra

It’s in czech so here is google translate. There are few interesting information.

1. In the alpha 0.2 there was one little thing that players complained about and it didn’t even come to Dan’s mind before that it could be a problem. Now since the feedback was quite strong, they are trying to come up with solution. (He didn’t say what it is, but my guess is the “cut scenes” when collecting flowers. Any other ideas?)

2. Dan again speaks about children being a big problem. On the one hand he says that if they included killable children, some people would be complaining that it’s unacceptable, but on the other hand if they included immortal children, it wouldn’t make sense and soon the game would be full of orphans… He says that at the end they came up with a solution, but it requires too much work and they don’t have enough people for that, so the game will most likely end up without children afterall.

3. Citation about combat: “It will be something very unique. The thing that is wrong in all movies and games is that they absolutely don’t understand basics of sword fighting. The main principle is that you don’t try to hit the sword of your oponent, but the actual oponent, while you try not to be hit yourself. Another thing is that in 99% of movies there is someone who cut through an opponent’s armor, which is something that drives me crazy. It’s absolute nonsense, because a knight in armor is basicaly invulnerable. A fight with him is more about trying to beat him unconscious than anything else. And on the contrary when a person doesn’t have an armor, it means instant death because a sword is quite fatal weapon. And this all is related to the fact that we don’t undestand our own culture. Everyone here thinks that the best sword is katana and everyone wants to be samurai. I’m convinced that a samurai would have no chance against a knight. (Let the flamewar begin!) The ideas of Europeans about their own history are very distorted, but they know everything about samurai, which I find funny.”

4. Citation about big battles: “The goal is to show what battles really looked like. To let you feel what it was like to stand on the battle field when there is a battle all around you. I think this is the most interesting thing on the game and it has never been done before. In all games you have either a character that kills enemies by hundreds or you watch a battle from the birds eye view. That feeling when you will find yourself in the middle of a medieval battle will be in my opinion something incredible.”

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

Still bums me out about the whole no children thing. I would be fine with immortal children it would be much more immersive then having a world without them at all. Hopefully some talented modders will help correct it in the end.

9 Likes

There must be children. KILLABLE children. I am tired of those things walking around being immortal and talking shit to their elders knowing full well they can’t die. We need an RPG that doesn’t require a mod to stab those little monsters (P.S. I wouldn’t actually attack said children, but come on. Enough with the RPG cliche that children can’t die.)

8 Likes

Yes but it doesn’t look like we are getting any children at all.

Yeah, I also want killable children, it would imo feel so much more live and authentic to have realistic children. But I understand why it is such problem. SJWs would be bitching endlesly and Warhorse would probably have problems with distributors in some countries.

4 Likes

Well since Warhorse has said they fully support mods i don’t see why they cant add children. This way moders could make kill able children mods. I remeber the day i installed kill able children on skyrim. First thing i did was pay a uh… visit to the honor hall orphanage in riften :wink:

1 Like

I got the mod because every time a dragon would attack, you had kids walking through fire impervious mad me think WTF MATE how do I get that armor class.

1 Like

I don’t understand what the big deal is. It’s not as if killing in general is okay, ya know? “Oh it’s quite alright to kill this innocent, poor farmer, but NO, don’t kill the children. That’s immoral!” Gimme a break. Most people, myself included, will never kill the children. We don’t want to kill the children. But in regards to having an immersive world, the children are just as mortal as the adults.

6 Likes

I would rather them put immortal children then no children at all. No children at all would be just bizarre.

4 Likes

I agree with you. But they say its also kids AI they would have issues with… that is something they would need extra time to solve which they dont have right now. I hope they will get it right at least at act2 though

There was parental lock in some old games to solve the problems like mortal children. But it isn’t solve the problem with religious fanatic & people like them. :о)

1 Like

Yeah, this hypocrisy of some moralists also drives me crazy. “I’m completely ok with murdering these hundreds of innocent civilians, but I CAN’T ALLOW A CHILD TO BE HARMED BECAUSE IT’S WRONG!!!” I mean, what the fuck?

4 Likes

It reminds me what is an issue in flying simulators. You can fly perfectly authentic He111 and drop 3 tons of bombs on Stalingrad… but its forbiden to have swaztika on vertical stabilizer (where used to be) while doing so.

World is crazy, better used to it.

2 Likes

I would definetly prefer to have immortal children then none. That could be fux in mod (and I have no desire killing then anyway).

Even if they just disappear (if they lost both parents and should live alone in house) when out of screen, it would be silly but still much better than world without children…

@Tobi please tell @Hellboy that it would be worse than not having toilets in game :stuck_out_tongue: :smile:

3 Likes

It may make the game banned on some markets. Generally, it is bad for game makers to show murder of children or particularly brutal murder of people in games/movies in Europe, while sex is fine. Meanwhile you can torture people to death however you like in US, but sex or nudity would be bad for business.

1 Like

But there are already toilets! :smiley:

Yeah the kids thing is a major issue and believe me… it bothers us more than you probably think! :frowning:

4 Likes

Yeah, I also would like to see rather immortal children than none at all. Mainly because, as you say, it could be changed by modding (and I have desire to kill them :smiling_imp: ), while if they won’t be there at all, I guess no one will be able to create children in such quality as Warhorse could.

And I also have a solution how to bypass the possible issues with distribution when having killable children. There was recently an example of a dating sim (HuniePop) with adult content (full nudity) on Steam, which is generaly not allowed. Creators had to censor the official version listed on Steam (covering up genitalia), but they provided day one 0kb patch which removes the censorship from the game. They realeased this patch on Steam community forum (!) and Steam had aboslutely no problem with it, they actually agreed with it beforehand. This also means that they don’t even mind that the “forbiden content” was actually included in the official version of the game (because the patch is 0kb), although not accesible, and that the patch basicly just changed the settting.

Create killable children, but make them immortal in the official version and then only release a patch that would make them killable again. It’s already proven that Steam doesn’t mind at all what you do with your game if it’s not accesible in the offcial published version, even if it’s against their rules.

edit: This solution would imo also appease hypocritical moralists who insist that killing children is unacceptable. Their version would have happy immortal children and they could enjoy their “moral” realistic game, while others who care about actual realism would also be happy.

edit2: It would also get you shit ton of free advertisment, because Kotaku and Polygon would probably explode if there were killable children :smiley: Look at how they helped Hatred by their fake moralizing. Hatred is now the most succesful green light project on Steam despite the fact it looks quite avarage and boring.

1 Like

If you kill a child the Game is over. I cant’ really remember. Can you die in KCD ? Killing a Child Could be a reason. IMO Without any Child it’s less realistic.

BTW. I will Not See a youtube Video of killing childs in KDC. This Could destroy the Wohle Reputation of this good game. I This is what we all Not Want…

Dan says in the interview that immortal children lead to a village/town full of orphans, which is something they don’t want to have in the game (it would make the unrealism of unkillable children even more unrealistic).

Did you see the trebuchets in the opening video? There is no way in hell that children would not die during siege (unless they would be unkillable).

Yupp…I mean if you as Player kill a child…during sieges this should be possible, but this is not a must for me. Sieges without children is no prob…