Player jobs, professions, and work

Shame on me, really, but I don’t like to play a woman character. I guess it is because I like to be immersed in the game, and to play someone that don’t reflect my gender makes be a bit uncomfortable. I know I should not behave like that but I am what I am.
Now for this game, if I was forced to play a woman, may be I do it, but I will be frustrated. So I understand why also women would prefer to have a female avatar too.
Back to the topic, if the main story is long enough I will be fine without any professions.

Sure, but as I said, this isn’t something easy to do. The gender of the main character here is not interchangeable (because of dialogue, world interaction, and the standing of men and women in the middle ages), playing as a female would require an entirely new story being made, and I doubt they have time to make this twice… Especially since they will be starting act 2 afterwards.

This, to me, just proves that you are only seeing things from the Player perspective. No company in their right mind is going to deliberately turn down 3-5% more revenue. For most, that a year’s worth of increase.

Finally, since it “doesn’t matter to you what sex you’re playing”, let’s just make it female now and kill two birds with one stone, eh? (evil grin)

I’m not sure you understand my point… Let me be a tad clearer this time: THAT WOULD TAKE FAR TOO LONG.

I am looking at this from their perspective, creating an entirely new playable path, which I assume you would want to be on par with the other, would take a monstrous amount of time, for what seems like a possible dlc, or spin off story. This isn’t like skyrim, were nothing is tailored to your character specifically. The story obviously couldn’t be the same for both, not at all actually. (if you didn’t know, women “rarely” acted as soldiers), what you are asking is quite frankly, ridiculous.

Hmm, I guess almost no companies are in their right mind then:/ Other than most open world rpgs, how many give you a choice there? As I said, like skyrim, most RPGs have an interchangeable character, but this… It would be double the work for them in every department, Writing, voice acting, animation, world interaction, etc.

I have to reiterate, that idea, if you want it to be either Henry simply being made Henrietta, or an entirely new story, the same length as the original, which spans three acts, is pretty much ludicrous.

Unless you mean simply a one off story, were you play as a female?

I wouldn’t mind an interjection from @TobiTobsen to say if this is remotely possible.

Oh… Never mind, Warhorse has addressed this already (¬‿¬)

You seem insistent upon mistaking a thought for the future as a request for today. For that matter, you seem to be taking every idea with which you disagree as if it is somehow violating THE LAW or something.

Your choice, of course, but I have to admit, it is amusing to have you all foamed up over something that only exists in your own mind. Do you do this often?

As for me, welp, I continue to hope this offering will do well enough that WH can work on an act that allows for a female protagonist with that historical perspective and focusing on craft, society, diplomacy/culture, and related things.

Also, an act that introduces a viable female protagonist for the soldier role… Which, contrary to what seems popular belief, wasn’t THAT uncommon, even if it was rare in the Czech lands. A west European act would be a great avenue for such a thing in future.

1 Like

If i remember correctly the act or at least the section with the female was most likely going to be who you owe your life to and them saving you would be my guess due to the fact i believe they already mentioned that.

As I just work on the translation of the webpage, the text clearly says the female protagonist is more of a second quest line that is created. That means the original quest with a male character should still exist, but the female character will be added. Somehow Warhorse Studios need to think about the story for upcoming acts and as the story is more or less pre-defined, it would be a complete change of design, if the story was “for every kind of character”. You’re not the “Chosen one”, so it’s not a universal story.

That may well be where the disconnect is… I don’t particularly care if I am “the chosen one” or not; I’m more interested in a rich and changing world where my choices affect things in my direct proximity or my ability to achieve status and renown for things other than combat. Speaking strictly from the “woman things that games never really give me” perspective, this would be the ability to be just as well known for, say, my market-stall offerings or my cooking wares/food, or artistry as a soldier would be for a given battle or war.

I am certain that is just dreadful dull to all of you, but that combined with combat would be a rounded offering the like of which simply has not been seen in any rpg or MMO.

The idea of a world in which creative competition and economics could matter as much as how well someone could kill things is really quite attractive and (judging from the research) not just to me.

In fact, the entire point for me would be that it couldn’t be a “universal story”.

women were’nt combatants around that time, if they were, they’d be known and you’d have to play a named character like joan of arc. this story and period did not have notable women warriors so they are not included. therefore a male character has broader scope and more variety, including combat.

let this not be queen of sheba argument mk2

Perhaps you could have, oh I don’t know… Been anything someone could define as clear? When did you say you were just wishing this for the future? Did I miss it?

You seemed like you wanted it along side the normal act 1

Do you not understand what I have said so far? It simply isn’t feasible, at least not now, I’m sorry if you never told me when you wanted them to do this.

Gah stupid iPhone. I missed a word and then you left it out and now iPhone proves itself incapable.

I find you rude and dismissive; think I’ll just leave you to that… Thanks but um, no thanks.

Me rude? Did you read the way you were speaking too me?

In regards to the OP:

I think that as long as it’s not forced on the player, jobs could be a nice added touch to the game as well as a good way to make some money. If Warhorse put some effort into it, like adding some variations and challenges to these jobs, it might even become a viable way to spend your time in the game. But if it’s just added in as an afterthought, I wouldn’t see it as a must-have feature.

1 Like

There were women combatants around that time and even before it, just not notably in Czech lands; which is why I mentioned western Europe in particular as a future “Act” locale that could legitimately introduce it as a playable option.

Links were previously provided, even as it is (regrettably) true their accounts are not as extensively documented, mostly as they were not titled, nobility, or otherwise more than our Czech blacksmith’s son.

Joan of Arc didn’t even fight on the battlefield, from what ive seen anyway.

My question is, Why in the holy fuck does it matter? I play portal a fuck load and, oh look, its a girl. I didn’t get all pissy about it before it came out. I didn’t say, “OOOOOH! I DONT GET TO PLAY AS A GUY! THIS IS BULLSHIT!”. I didn’t Bitch about the Tomb Raider series. No. I played them because they were GOOD! So answer me this question. Why the hell does it matter?!?!?

It surely was not common to find a woman on a western european medieval battlefield.

1 Like

because this game is set in historically accurate medieval bohemia 1403, not uninspired fantasy world of tomb raider or desperately quirky world of portal. :smile:

btw they ruined tomb raider by having her fulfill dual schizophrenic role as familiar damsel in distress “rape victim” then mindless mass murdering idiot ala grand theft auto. worst game ever made.

I would only like to correct that assumption that there were no notable female warriors in the Czech lands in the era. Although I can’t speak directly to the year 1403, there are two notable examples before and after. Firstly, the Maiden War, which is more of a legend, however most probably has some historical core.

It is also notable that the mythical Czech pre-history is full of important female leaders, most notable being Libuše.

Let’s leave the half-history half-myths and get to real proven history - women were integral part of hussite armies, could and did engage in the warfare. Notably, for example during the Battle of Vítkov, the innitial garrison (before reinforcements came to its aid) were 26 male warriors and 3 female warriors (& Jan Žižka). The equality of women was one of the integral parts of Czech Reformation. Women gained equal standing as men and most notable full access to education - foreigners who came to the Czech lands were totally shocked to find that Czech women were fully literate and highly knowledgeable about the scripture. Hussite War Code introduced harsh penalties for raping or attacking women which were enforced to the extent that when Hussite Armies went abroad, the local men felt comfortable to just run away and leave their families home (especially in Germany, while German armies were known to kill & rape civilians indiscriminately). Meanwhle women also gained equality when it came to punishment for crimes. Although this was the situation roughly 20 years after the game takes places, the principles of it have been preached for the same time before 1403.

3 Likes