Player jobs, professions, and work

you just proved my point, those were games that were fucking ridiculous and unrealistic, and they had female characters but that didn’t matter. but it does matter here, if they want to make the story completely oriented around a female character then it wouldn’t matter, but that’s not whats going on. the main character is going to be a guy, and that’s very clear.

Portal was awesome. Unless it is supposed to be realistic, I don’t see how judging games for realism is a valid way to critique something:/

no not at all, but we are talking about the fact that people are wanting a girl main character.

In the player jobs and professions thread? Okay…

Was not there something with a miller’s daughter …? It should be playable as part of a KS-target a female character.
A playful challenge in this era …

1.000.000$ Playable female character - ACHIEVED
We get lot of questions about being able to play as a female. Our original story was built around a male character, a young blacksmith, and we cannot simply change it. However, we would like to offer this opportunity in another way. If we can raise 1.000.000$ we shall add a line of quests into our game where you can plays as a young woman that saves the lead character in the beginning of the game. She’s smart, courageous and good at stealth.

Well, it matters to women who want to play a woman. Why is that such a problem? What, there were no women in this history? There are no game mechanics that could be built around the life of women in this time? Women were just so much less important than men that it doesn’t and shouldn’t matter?

Look, I’m the first one to accept that WH wants to build a game from the perspective of the male. But don’t confuse that acceptance with being an acceptance of simply ignoring women as more than NPCs.

You’ve never had a problem being able to play men in games (no, not even in HELLO KITTY ONLINE). So until you do, maybe take a breath, a step back, and think a moment about how you’d feel if a game you were seriously interested in really didn’t give a rat’s ass if you liked it or not, you’re stuck playing a female.

IF you can manage that with honesty, you’ll get “what the big deal” is to those who care about it. Not that I suspect that’s really your interest, but giving you the benefit of the doubt…

1 Like

I agree in some cases with many people here.
BUT the fact is that it would be absolutely “supergeil”
if there would be a complete campaign, from the perspective of a woman!
But that’s a thing which not everyone can understand.
This is a deep complex thing, why some people wants that.
Women certainly had more to fight for something than men.
And to demsontrate this very Acceptable for example, is a difficult thing.
But with the Crysis engine, many things should be possible.
“Where my one” speaks from experience
As Bugs Bunny would say :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To be honest, it would add a lot of realism to the game if you could have a job. Especially the idea Wicker said where you could do soldier work. I dont want to just run around and do quests, Id like to be part of the game as well.

Read my post slower if you’re having this much trouble differentiating between what I wrote and what you interpreted.

(yawn)

I think I skipped the second paragraph:P

However: “simply ignoring women as more than NPCs.” What does that mean? Ignoring them as more than NPCs?

1 Like

Do I smell another thread that’s probably going to be shut down because people got way too off topic and can’t have a civil argument without name calling and sarcasm? Seriously people, if you want to bicker back and forth about women in gaming, go to a forum about gamergate. This thread is for ideas about player professions within the games main story that has already been put forth.
I think having side jobs would be a great idea. The first thing that pops into my head is the night guard mini game in Red Dead Redemption. Maybe a few things like that could really add to the immersion. I know that crafting will be based on mini games so maybe you could further that into making special pieces as a blacksmith or make a potion for some guys hangover in alchemy. It wouldn’t take too much effort but could be a fun way to make money, improve stats and generally add to the experience.

3 Likes

I love red dead redemption! Especially on hardcore mode. Night watch was always my favourite job!

To the civility thing: The crazy thing is… I STARTED THIS THREAD! I almost forgot. And yes I agree, this is not the place. And by “this” I mean anywhere on this forum at all…

2 Likes

In a game I’m interested I don’t really care if it is told from a male-only or female-only perspective, in particular in a story driven game. As long as the game and the story is good it doesn’t really matter. As a rule I don’t like when games give you a choice for your char and then don’t care in the end because your choices don’t matter as they are handled as totally replaceable stand-ins, in particular if you consider a certain degree of realism. Then even the bit of work going into your character choice is a waste of dev time.
So if the devs are not interested or not able (time/money) to individualize your game/story according to the players char choice, something limited like the mentioned stretch goal is the far better alternative.

Sure, they could have gone with female perspective from the start, but from your perspective then the men would have been disadvantaged. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As I have already written in another thred here on forum.

Problem with KCD is Middle ages… Women were discriminated at that time, point.
From historical point of view, and I strongly emphasize this is not
my point of view, woman is the devil’s tool and she should not be
trusted with important work. Thus the lack of female blacksmiths,
shoemakers, fishers and other crafts(wo)men…
Women belong to the cooking, cleaning, sewing, child birth and care, “light” manual work (like chopping wood, ie.), and she should not be trusted with weapon.
yeah, forgot looking pretty and take care of the male population as best as they could.

Therefore, I welcome the initiative from WarHorse, that they will include also few quests for “female” char, and I do have confidence they will make it as best as they can. But, it would be extremely difficult to create Medieval story, which would be playable as female char, and still keep the realism and some action around.

If you dont consider few days of embroidery as action. Or, once you wear male clothes, you get burned at stake for witchcraft (Jeanne d’ Arc is only few years in future from 1403, and she had QUITE a difficult time acting as a man).

This is really wise post.

With slight exceptions this was the case for almost the whole history of mankind. I understand feminism but I can not stop to see such bias is actually based on different social roles AND different mental attitude of MOST women (in comparison to men obviously) throughout the history.

The bold part is probably an irrefutable fact. The italics part is my opinion which I would like to explain i order not to be accused of gender bias or masculinism:

I am sorry to say that but eventhough I deeply honor the right of every woman to choose her path through the wilderness of life it is still highly disturbing to see women soldiers for me. I mean I consider myself to be quite open minded person (of rather liberal opinions) but still I am not able to surpress my feelings completely. Therefore I am perfectly able to cope e.g. with any subconscious racial prejudice because I deeply believe its an absurd, bad and week thing but I am not able to persuade myself that women are the same as men. There are real differences and I believe not just physical differences. The role of mother is definitely not the same as the role of father, the expected social role of woman is different from the expected social role of man: even in countries with high perceived gender equality there is still a lot of sexism visible, Hollywood and the whole US popculture which influence the whole world tremendously is brutally gender biased. (Bob Dylan is a star even in his old corduroy jacket, but try to send similarly dressed female singer on the stage, try to persuade some male popstar to appear in a swimsuit on the stage, it would be seen as quite a silly thing etc)

But still, this topic dont belong here as it was argued. The point is: different social roles of both genders is not specifically medieval thing. But from the late early medieval period (or the start of high medieval) women were genuinely marginalized as the instruments of devil and it took some time to suppress that attitude.

It would be possible to make a game set in the medieval Europe with a female protagonist. It would HAVE to be different game than a game with male protagonist. Warhorse has of course every right to choose a man. In fact most games set in medieval or early modern period has male leading protagonists.

It could be argued it would be the right thing to do to depict the period gender bias in the game. (And I guess its even possible taking the “burning witch” officially released picture into account.) But to choose a female player character just because its a woman would be in my opinion terribly silly. No one would probably argue contemporary trend to higher gender equality (e.g. salary, occupation etc.) is wrong. But to “correct (means censor) history” on the basis of contemporary trends is absurdly wrong.

hey if the quest-line from the stretch goal ends with her burning at the stakes, then it would be a complete female perspective - just a rather short one.

no one said it has to be equally long [ducks for cover]

it’s just like when you are watching a movie and you count the places in the plot, where the story could come to a short and violent end for your hero, if he just would be a tiny bit less lucky. :wink:

Star wars: They shoot the escape pod even though it has no life forms.

There always seems to be the great silly Villains moment of loving hesitation over the fate of the caught hero. And the apparent favorite part of every evil schemer - the great self-centered monologue.

But I would rather enjoy a romance with the millers daughter. Lets burn another witch if possible please.

Well how about you go spend your own time and money making a game like this instead of demanding the devs make a it to where you an play a female in the main story. The story is built around a male deal with it. You will be fighting on the front lines and doing things women would not have been doing at the time. I enjoyed tomb raider and you play as a female character in it.