Player jobs, professions, and work

It seems that the player character will probably be making money from mercenary, or soldiering work, but will it be possible to have a normal job? Like, continuing with being a blacksmith, or being a merchant, maybe becoming a town/city guard. I know this may seem boring:/ But it could be a nice touch, if like me, you stretch RPGs out as long as possible.

8 Likes

No.Not gonna happen. It even sounds boring as hell, and meaningless.

@Dekssan:Let me finish writing some ideas that would make it fun. Thank you

5 Likes

How is it meaningless? Whether it is fun or not is subjective… Why not have the option, the guard thing could at least be made fun, I didn’t mean just standing still all day, could witness and stop crimes, arrest criminals, discipline pickpockets, that sort of deal.

4 Likes

I would have some ideas which would really make those jobs a fun experience. I don’t know if they’re implemented, but since you thought about this topic, some quick ideas crossed my mind.

As a merchant, you’re standing in your shop, waiting for customers. No big deal actually. Then someone gets in and you have to watch him, see what he’s taking. What could happen: The “customer” is a thief and running away with what he’s taken so you have to run after him or call the guards or something like this. On the other hand it’s possible that this customer is a real customer. Now when it comes to paying you have to check if he really pays for everything that he has taken. If so, you say everything is okay. If not, you can either ask him if he’s mistaken or if he expected a discount. Maybe the person will ask for a discount which gives you the opportunity to be supportive to the people or acting like some dickhead trader who just thinks about his profit. Another cool scene would be a thieving duo. One is distracting you for a talk, while the other one is stealing stuff. The person talking to you is trying his/her best to distract you. Maybe a woman shows that she’s well endowed … but yeah, this would be a misogynistic idea and fantasy from a gamer like me, am I right @Hellboy ? :wink:

Any crafting job should be able to take orders. The quality of your product is the key for defining the price of that product. You’ll have to take care that you have all materials that you need to take those orders. If not, go to the traders. If they don’t have anything, you would need to hurry to other locations to get the materials you need. This could lead to side quests and side stories.

For the guard, it’s also pretty simple: You would have two types of guarding jobs (standing at gates or walking around) for three parts of the day: Morning, Mid-day or Night. Each and every combination has its own typical events. Let me give you some examples: In the morning everyone starts working. That means you see traders and farmers entering and leaving town or village, maybe some even sneaking in before dawn. You can check those people who are entering or leaving the town, asking what they’re doing, what they’re carrying and so on. As a castle gate guard, you might experience some angry mob trying to get into the castle because they have an “opinion to share” and you have take care that nobody gets hurt and nobody enters the castle. For mid-day you have a similar situation, but way more people being active. That means many things can happen at the same time like two stores getting robbed at the same time and you have to decide whom to help or maybe a murderer has entered the town or village and you have to figure out who it could be and ask around if somebody (like other guards or traders) have seen someone entering or leaving town/village they’ve never seen before. At night this whole job gets awesome. If you’re a stationary guard, people always try to sneak into town/castle and an angry mob at night with all the torches looks really nice at a distance. Then you have fights at the pubs, some picklocking thieves, someone murdering in the shadows and if you come across those scenes, you’re either in time or too late to prevent them.

No matter what you do and how you do it: it should reflect your reputation and have long-term results. If you let some murderer or thief in town, you’ll be held responsible for everything the murderer / thief did to the villagers or townspeople.

Alright, those are my ideas. Let’s see if the devs have something similar already in mind. Might not be part of Act I , but maybe II or III.

11 Likes

Yeah, that sounds good. Still not gonna happen. You guys would need 10 games to every one of your ideas come true.I know that come up with ideas is cool and everything, but it’s pretty much pointless think that your fantasies would make it to the game. At least this one.

1 Like

What is wrong with you? Hey @YuusouAmazing … Can you do that thing you mentioned earlier? Please?

1 Like

Having a bad day? If so, leave your comments in your head, not in the forum.

And I’ll repeat: This is a fantasy free zone. Therefore trolls are not allowed in this forum

11 Likes

Dekssan, it doesn’t really matter if these things get in the game or not. It is just fun to share your own ideas and maybe built on others.
And besides, you never know if the developer fancies one or two as well.

This is just a way for people to daydream about the game and to me, that is partly why the forum is here.

5 Likes

Just ignore him, he’s been doing this kind of thing for a while. It’s best not to acknowledge him and go about your day.

I don’t really get whats the point of rudely shooting down everyone else’s ideas like this. Its just IDEAS and discussion.

2 Likes

I loved your ideas! really worthy of a simulator! but perhaps it is a lot of money for the company, as this will try to apply to many areas throughout the game and it seems that in this game are making several simulators in a game.

1 Like

Actually, this would be a wonderful opening/opportunity to build out a female path in the game; perhaps even one day that intersects with the main character/story and allows for “switched perspective” play.

As odd as it may sound to some, I’d truly enjoy the chance to have a second character with a decidedly different path and skill set; particularly to play a more economic, craft, and exploration based game. Give all the tradeskill and NPC presence in the world, it seems it would be reasonable as an add on (and you know, it might just bring you a larger slice of the female and family demographic, too).

I can even see an opportunity to pursue the historical personas “behind the scenes” and possibly make a female character who is some manner of courier or attache’, etc (all of which were common in the late 1300’s and early 1400’s - reflinks:

http://www.guide2womenleaders.com/womeninpower/Womeninpower1300.htm

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/women/womensbook.asp

female playable character story arc and gameplay scope decided upon already

Yes, a female path has been confirmed I believe, however I don’t see how gender is relevant. However I have to say, switched perspective would be terrible, unless you mean a completely different play through with a different character, and not like gta 5 with character switching, for a game like this, I know I would never use it.

I think that was in regards to a segment about the person who saved you then returning to the main character.

To the extent that it is intended to be historically accurate, gender is highly relevant.

That said, by “switched perspective”, I meant completely different play through a different character.

@213 - I’m well aware this has been stated. I’m also well aware that it neatly dismisses all but the most dedicated of female gamers (e.g., the majority of females, who prefer exploration and socialization-driven gaming). There’s nothing wrong with reminding Warhorse that they may be missing opportunities; also, just because a decision was made yesterday does not mean it cannot be changed today. Additionally, if a change increased the company’s (and game’s) change for broader reach and, therefore, increased returns, this is a decidedly good thing that I would think anyone interest in the game’s success and longevity would be eager to support.

At any rate, that’s my perspective.

1 Like

Sure. But if they wanted to focus on monetary gain, they would have submitted too a publishers demands.

I won’t support something that will make this whole thing take longer, for a superfluous gain:/ I meant the gender of the player character, I just don’t see why it matters, we are all human. When I play tomb raider, I don’t wish Lara was Larry, and I don’t expect the developers, too make a second campaign, with a male protagonist.

The same goes for all games, regardless of the main characters gender. If it means another campaign as a bonus further down the line, then sure, go for it, with another male, a female, or a horse, for all I care.

1 Like

I understand that you don’t get why making a game more attractive to a broader demographic (see what I did there) might matter. Fortunately, the idea and its merit doesn’t hinge on your understanding. grin

As I’m sure the folks at Warhorse are well aware, women make up 48% of the gaming market today (across all genres). Perhaps that number doesn’t matter to you, but I’m pretty sure if they could pick up another 3-5% revenue just by adding a playable path for a female character, they wouldn’t shrug it off and say it doesn’t matter.

Well, if they intend to have more than a very, very niche audience; which, I admit, may well be the case. I haven’t any insight there at the moment.

The amount of time they are spending on the story, and character development… You think 3-5% is worth doing it all twice?! If you didn’t know, they are working with limited funds here.

Are you suggesting that women won’t bye a game if they can’t play as a female? I’ve never met a female gamer who would miss an amazing game because they couldn’t play as a female… Or a male that wouldn’t play because they had to play as a female, you see, that would be considered sexist: “discrimination by gender”?

I don’t see how 52% is niche audience. But again, I don’t see why the gender of a character matters to you… All that matters is the character. Do you really think someone is going too look at this game, and not play it because they didn’t take the (massive) amount of time, to create an entire other game essentially?

The character of Henry, does not have an interchangeable gender like skyrim, it wouldn’t be as simple as making a different character model, and re-recording his/her lines.

You make it sound as if this would be as simple as pushing a couple of buttons…